C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one of the three is best decision to buy, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:34 AM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
In his earlier post, he said that shipping costs, tariffs, and taxes add "about 50%" to the price of a vehicle. So, I don't think he would be looking at less than $12K over the price of the vehicle. We heard a similar comment, though not quite the same amount, from a Brit last month who imported a Vette. The tariffs on NEW U.S. produced cars are really high, so you don't see many American-made vehicles anywhere across the pond.
Oh damn, that’s ridiculous... that’s an unreal tax, that sucks... well, there are still some on the forum for under 20k... one in particular is around 100k miles with a new h/c/i ls3 under 30k on the motor.

That’s still sooo high on taxes... but some of the 20k vettes on the forum will be close to his budget, probably easier to just pick one up already there though. Not knowing the history is just a bit of a pain. These cars are pretty darn reliable and nearly every maintenance issue can be found here on the forum. Just gotta research the prices if there are any known issues on ones he finds.

Option number one would still be my choice, given the issues he’s still listed, number one still doesn’t seem that bad. I would just check the tub, take the carpet out of the back and look for any damage to it. If there’s none, and it drives straight, it could have likely just been a scrape that the previous owner didn’t want to come out of pocket on. Easy day.

Last edited by VelocityC6z; 08-19-2018 at 02:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Danniego (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 AM
Danniego
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake down of importing USA car to Poland, Europe is as follow (Ball park numbers)
Import taxes on USA car: 10%
Engine tax: 3% < 2.0 Liter , 18%>2.0 Liter (Corvette is in this category )
VAT: 23%
Cost of transport, paper work, etc. $ 2000-5000 (depending of ports and way of transport, insured, RO-RO, size of car, etc.)

I did a vin check of #1 and it came back as a salvaged car, collision damage!
Further searching revealed the pictures of the car and its real damage, wrecked!
Facebook Post
The owner told me it had only some slight rear bumper damage!
Look at the pictures and you see a wreck, omg.
I also found out he is on this forum with a post of him asking for advice for wanting to use the car for 1/4 mile drag racing!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-biturbo.html

Car #2 , the owner told me he has the 2 original keys and has no damage.
I received the VIN 1GYY26U275103525 and it came back as salvaged, flooded. [Red flag again]

Probably it is the only economical way for Polish people to import salvaged cars, pay all the duties, restore it and try to sell it.
Importing good running not damaged cars increases the cost to much due to the tax levied on the sales price.
Every time i drive from the Netherlands and Germany into Poland you see a lot of Polish car trailers with damaged cars on it.
You look at some of the damage and say to yourself not one person came out alive of that car.
Month laters they will be on the Polish roads without and visible damage sold to the unknown.
Some Polish discussion i overheard say they estimate about 80% of the sold cars (new one excluded) have been damaged one way or another.

I think i discard the idea of buying a Vette in Poland. It seems they are always salvaged and the owners are not honestly representing the cars as it is.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Well that’s a shame.. and those taxes are expensive. Like I said, I took three years to find the right one. I plan to keep it the rest of my life. Remain patient and the perfect vette at the perfect price will show up

Even though it’s expensive to import, you may find the right deal. You may even find one on the forum closer to you, it’s a rare shot. If I see anything that’s close to you, or the right price outside of Poland, I’ll keep you in mind. Good luck!
Danniego (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

It's good you did your homework on these cars. Saved you from making a big mistake. Your patience paid off.
Danniego (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 AM
Phred2
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious, would the import tax be the same for a USA made car imported from Canada?
Exchange rates might work in your favour, cars here are (mostly) summer toys and winter stored with many gently used low mileage examples at good prices late in the season. Speedos can be switched from miles to kilometers ~ the only difference being it's calibrated up to 300 instead of 200 (which leads some to believe Canadian cars are faster).
Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 AM
Danniego
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Importing chart vehicles USA and Canada into the EU zone, country The Netherlands
(source: https://sclrotterdam.com/en/consumer...duties-and-vat )

So maybe i should buy a vette prior 1988. Will be treated as an classic meaning no 10 % import duties and only 6% vat.

Quick Reply: Which one of the three is best decision to buy, and why?