C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy, Or Not To Buy .... 2005 M6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:31 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by had3nuf
qikstik
I have had my 05 since 06 it now has 120k on it, of which the last 2k have been very hard miles. The only draw back I have with the 05 is that when you shut the car off before you get out you have to put the car in reverse or the electrical system will not shut down all the way,
and unfortunately it is the only year C6 that has that requirement. and as far as I know there is no disarming it.I have gotten used to it, the problem is most people don't know and if they park your car for any length of time you may get a flat battery.if they don't shift to reverse

2005 C6 base
As long as we have had our cars, shifting to reverse is as automatic as pushing the stop button.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

That's a weird requirement, to put the car in reverse in order for the electrical system to properly shut down. Never heard of any other cars requiring this.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr

As long as we have had our cars, shifting to reverse is as automatic as pushing the stop button.
Its automatic now, and I even do it with my other manual car. Setting the ebrake and putting a manual in gear is something you should always do. If you don't know why you will eventually.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:59 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by QikStik
So close! As you could probably tell I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on this 2005.

HOWEVER, since my last post yesterday afternoon we have found several more issues....
  • Inoperable memory seat controls.
  • Driver side seat heater,
  • Front emblem would have to be replaced (red portion significantly faded)
  • CD player portion of the radio not working,
  • Bad radio volume control.
  • The passenger side lower radiator mount bracket bent with broken welds. Looks like it had a significant impact to a curb or some other obstruction.
  • Also noticed a significant rust hole just under the right side exhaust tip in the muffler body.
  • Brake pads are OK, but close to needing to be changed.
  • In addition to the tires and rear (realistically rear and front) struts mentioned earlier
All these issues would have to be fixed before I could be satisfied. When I estimated the time and cost to get this 2005 Corvette where I would want it (even before the COOL mods), puts it more expensive that it is worth to me! Time to step back, take a deep breath, and wait for a better situation.

The sad part is it is an awesome color. It drives great. Clutch operation and shifting is flawless. Acceleration is strong. Ride is a little rough, but probably can be attributed to the tires and rear struts.

THANKS AGAIN for all the great feedback (good and constructive)!! ANd listening to me thrash through this process!

THE SEARCH CONTINUES!!!! Stay tuned!!
good decision! Continue looking, as you’ve likely realized from input here the early years of the C6 were nothing to write home about, too old, too many miles not to mention the design flaws. Keep looking and test driving, there are a surprising high number of good deals in the off months. The more Vettes you drive, the easier it will be to pick one as a first time owner.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by S.C. vette

good decision! Continue looking, as you’ve likely realized from input here the early years of the C6 were nothing to write home about, too old, too many miles not to mention the design flaws. Keep looking and test driving, there are a surprising high number of good deals in the off months. The more Vettes you drive, the easier it will be to pick one as a first time owner.
This will actually be my 5th Corvette. Just my first C6. Indirectly, through my job, I have regular access to new and used Corvettes. So over the years since my last Corvette ('99 coupe) I have been able to lust over many newer models (C6 and C7). I have always enjoyed the "thrill of the search". The right one will be found eventually!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:31 AM
JJ1956
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I enjoyed reading about your search last week. I clicked on your pictures last week and went scrolling to the right and was impressed with all of those great bird pictures! I also noticed a lot of familiar places I recognize such as biltmore house, and several Blue Ridge mountain spots I go to regularly. I was telling my wife about all the great bird pictures that was probably a mistake in posting, but some great talent you have there! Were those all with your phone camera? Amazing! Good luck in your Vette search, good to see you are in checking it out thoroughly !!
The following users liked this post:
MacA1979 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:39 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJ1956
Hi, I enjoyed reading about your search last week. I clicked on your pictures last week and went scrolling to the right and was impressed with all of those great bird pictures! I also noticed a lot of familiar places I recognize such as biltmore house, and several Blue Ridge mountain spots I go to regularly. I was telling my wife about all the great bird pictures that was probably a mistake in posting, but some great talent you have there! Were those all with your phone camera? Amazing! Good luck in your Vette search, good to see you are in checking it out thoroughly !!
Thank you for the compliments on the photos. Actually only the 2005 Corvette pics are from my phone. The rest are with my Canon DSLR. I am an amateur photographer. Still learning!

Thanks again for the reply!!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

I ended up finding a great deal on a real low mile 2004 Torch Red Z06. This thing is awesome!

THANKS AGAIN for everyone's feedback!!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Went with a C5, huh? Enjoy. I do prefer the C5 interior over the C6. And having driven an 01 Z06 many moons ago, that was a fun car. You should enjoy it!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Went with a C5, huh? Enjoy. I do prefer the C5 interior over the C6. And having driven an 01 Z06 many moons ago, that was a fun car. You should enjoy it!
I had every intention of buying a C6, until this beauty showed up. This Z06 is emaculate! The condition and the price couldn't be passed up.

I'll leave a few pics. Hopefully you C6 guys will be OK with this......

Old 09-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Nice and clean. My only turnoff is the dual color interior. I'd prefer an all black interior. But You bought the car for you, so not knocking it.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Nice and clean. My only turnoff is the dual color interior. I'd prefer an all black interior. But You bought the car for you, so not knocking it.
It is funny, but the interior was a draw for me! Different strokes.......
Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MacA1979
So close! As you could probably tell I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on this 2005.

HOWEVER, since my last post yesterday afternoon we have found several more issues....
  • Inoperable memory seat controls.
  • Driver side seat heater,
  • Front emblem would have to be replaced (red portion significantly faded)
  • CD player portion of the radio not working,
  • Bad radio volume control.
  • The passenger side lower radiator mount bracket bent with broken welds. Looks like it had a significant impact to a curb or some other obstruction.
  • Also noticed a significant rust hole just under the right side exhaust tip in the muffler body.
  • Brake pads are OK, but close to needing to be changed.
  • In addition to the tires and rear (realistically rear and front) struts mentioned earlier
All these issues would have to be fixed before I could be satisfied. When I estimated the time and cost to get this 2005 Corvette where I would want it (even before the COOL mods), puts it more expensive that it is worth to me! Time to step back, take a deep breath, and wait for a better situation.

The sad part is it is an awesome color. It drives great. Clutch operation and shifting is flawless. Acceleration is strong. Ride is a little rough, but probably can be attributed to the tires and rear struts.

THANKS AGAIN for all the great feedback (good and constructive)!! ANd listening to me thrash through this process!

THE SEARCH CONTINUES!!!! Stay tuned!!
These issues are why it was priced at $16k!! I can say, most of that list are things that I changed very early on from the stock car (change out double din, exhaust, front emblem, etc) Sounds like you have moved so good luck in your search, you walked away from a heck of a deal!!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:52 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MacA1979
I had every intention of buying a C6, until this beauty showed up. This Z06 is emaculate! The condition and the price couldn't be passed up.

I'll leave a few pics. Hopefully you C6 guys will be OK with this......

I would have to go with C6 but I am biased! Congrats, looks like a very clean C5Z!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:56 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my friend bought a manual 05 and turned it into a race car for track only, or else for street driving its junk. auto version is worse
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gandeboz
my friend bought a manual 05 and turned it into a race car for track only, or else for street driving its junk. auto version is worse
You seem to be an expert so do you think we all need to have our cars towed to the scrapper?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

You seem to be an expert so do you think we all need to have our cars towed to the scrapper?
hes the expert not me. 2005 had to many problems

Get notified of new replies

To To Buy, Or Not To Buy .... 2005 M6 Coupe

Old 09-18-2018, 03:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

hes the expert not me. 2005 had to many problems
He's no expert either if he says they're junk. Maybe he bought junk.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

He's no expert either if he says they're junk. Maybe he bought junk.

put your blame on the creator of the car. not customers who spit out the truth. 05 was mediocre look at all the threads about it over the past years.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:30 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

put your blame on the creator of the car. not customers who spit out the truth. 05 was mediocre look at all the threads about it over the past years.
I’ve had mine since 04 but Thanks. I’ll look in to it.

Quick Reply: To Buy, Or Not To Buy .... 2005 M6 Coupe