C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big increase for Insurance! Need Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:29 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

OP, not wanting to meddle in your personal life, but...it might be time for your wife to pay for all auto insurance, since she is the cause of the problem. That might slow her down some....just sayin'.

Good luck!
Jim
Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
How ridiculous...are you serious? So, are you going to lie about how many drivers in the family? They will ask for the names and license of all drivers...which will link to record, and you would be dropped like a rock. Even if you do succeed in the ruse, any accident will land you in jail for fraud.
When you actually know what you are talking about post up. There is no loophole that I don't know about when it comes to drivers licenses and car insurance, I have done them all and came up with things you could only dream about.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
When you actually know what you are talking about post up. There is no loophole that I don't know about when it comes to drivers licenses and car insurance, I have done them all and came up with things you could only dream about.
Like blatant fraud.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Like blatant fraud.
Don’t waste your time. Jails are full of people trying to cheat the system.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
If perpetrating fraud is your actual advice to the OP, we surely don't need that kind of help on this forum. As for "dreaming"...I don't dream of ways to commit crimes, or screw people or businesses out of their money.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 09-13-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
I'm counting on a big $$ difference if I go to a small Nissan SUV or something similar but I will get an Insurance quote b4 buying anything, staying away from any high performance car would be the goal, I can't imagine what it would cost if I was 30 something
instead of 68 & retired
My wife drives a 2 year old Nissan Murano and I drive a 2012 G/S. Her insurance is slightly higher than mine.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

As long as the title to the vette is only in your name, you can insure it through Grundy as a collector car, and I don't think your wife's driving record would come into play. You would have to have another daily driver. Your own, can't be the wife's DD. Grundy requires that is be stored in a locked garage and used for pleasure driving only. Can't DD or take on vacation.

Until recently, I was the only named driver on my Grundy policy (wife can't drive a manual ). When I got my 427 a few months back, her name is also on the title so I had to add her to the policy. Thankfully my wife has a clean driving record. Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Similar situation Johnathon. My wife had a small accident in her Jaguar (in Scottsdale coincidentally). She is not quite as notorious as your wife....LOL....she's good on traffic tickets, etc and only that one accident. Nonetheless, insurance jumped some and is only settling down now after two years. I insure 4 cars for just the two of us, but I don't have very much flexibility to shop as one of the 4 is my Bentley Continental GT. Most companies don't even list it as a car they'll insure. I have myself as the sole driver. She still must be insured to drive it, but it is my primary car. Luckily, she's afraid of it so fear makes it work for us.

Not sure about split policies. I only looked into it briefly. I don't think it works anyway with marriage partners or family members living in the same house as any insurance company will consider everyone within a family residence has the potential to jump in any car in the driveway and drive it. I'm thinking it would just be an exercise in futility trying separate policies.

To some of the advice above, deceiving an insurance company is awfully risky because if you get caught, the company can deny coverage. This is particularly bad in an accident where they'll likely catch you. There might be ways to manipulate addresses, etc, but if you're wrong it can financially wipe you out. Not worth it. One thing about any insurance company, they've seen it all. Even if you're really smart and you can think about half the ways you can get caught with false info on a policy, they're in business to be smarter than that.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 09-13-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
My vette insurance was $400 yr when I bought my '13 GS now after my wife's 2 tickets & 2 at fault accidents with her Mercedes my cost just on my car has gone to $2450 yr. she doesn't drive the vette but because we live under the same roof she must be covered on it, BTW I have zero tickets or claims & drive about 2K miles a yr. so insurance cost more than a dollar a mile, I have checked with other companies but once they ask about tickets or accidents they say call back in 3 yrs when they are not figured into the quote for coverage, (Arizona) . Does anyone know of a company that will write separate policies even with my wife's bad record,or has been in my position & found another option, I'm afraid selling the vette might be the only way, and no I'm not divorcing her , although I have threatened her..
Hold up... $400 per YEAR? That's $33/month! What on earth kind of insurance did you have??? That's exponentially cheap.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've been with State Farm for years and they offer a restriction by specific persons to a specific car. I had my daughter restricted to my DD and no other vehicle. The rates remained the same on everything except the DD. Since your wife doesn't drive the Vette now, she won't care and your ins on that car will go back to normal. At only $400/yr, you either have minimal coverage or you live in a very safe zip code.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:51 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

If all remains the same, buy a "beater" for you to drive, Benz for wife, with the Vette unassigned as the extra.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by theandrewo
Hold up... $400 per YEAR? That's $33/month! What on earth kind of insurance did you have??? That's exponentially cheap.
In 2013 I had 21st Century bundled coverage (2 cars & home) $1k deductible & listed as for pleasure use with under 3K miles per yr at $412.33 yr (had to look it up) for the vette other car was suv was more, for 2014 it jumped to $500 , also at that time we had zero tickets or claims,
for 2017 it was $1125 still no claims, but 2018 all that changed with speeding tickets & 2 accidents which resulted in premium doubling , looks like Progressive won't cancel as long as you can pay higher premiums, I am in contact with Travelers trying to get
separate policies, will see how that works out, appears that insurance companies lure you in with low premiums ( when you have a good FICO) and then start raising premiums , probably not an industry standard but just with some companies.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

My son who lives with us had a similar driving record. To keep other policies low, we just name him as an excluded driver. Likewise, we are excluded on his policy. That way his record doesn’t impact ours and visa-versa. See if Progressive will exclude her on the Vette since she doesn’t drive it. Son has same company.
The following users liked this post:
Johnathon59 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Originally Posted by dpigguy
My son who lives with us had a similar driving record. To keep other policies low, we just name him as an excluded driver. Likewise, we are excluded on his policy. That way his record doesn’t impact ours and visa-versa. See if Progressive will exclude her on the Vette since she doesn’t drive it. Son has same company.
Interesting, I asked for that when I spoke to the agent for Progressive & she immediately denied my request, maybe I will call tomorrow & ask for a supervisor see if I can get a different reply, it might just depend on who you talk to, thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I've been with State Farm for years and they offer a restriction by specific persons to a specific car. I had my daughter restricted to my DD and no other vehicle. The rates remained the same on everything except the DD. Since your wife doesn't drive the Vette now, she won't care and your ins on that car will go back to normal. At only $400/yr, you either have minimal coverage or you live in a very safe zip code.
Remember that $400 was almost 6 yrs ago & before a few tickets/accidents, I did talk with an agent at State Farm & he explained the "under same roof policy" and asked me to call back in 3 yrs after the infractions fall off her driving record, he would be happy to write a policy,
he was very professional about it & explained it in detail for me.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I have Auto Owners Insurance and my 2011 GS was $400 a few years ago. It has crept up to $600 now.
When my kids were still home I had them excluded from the Vette policy with Safeco. It kept the premium livable.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

I want to thank all the members for their input with trying to help me out, It's much appreciated, .. Here are the facts of my dilemma, poor driving habits or just bad luck

1. speeding ticket, photo radar clocked at 11 over the limit they give you 10 so she was 1 over I went to court to fight it but was denied because the judge stated sir she was really going over by 11 anyway..UGH !!
2. stopped at light then crept forward to see around the front of truck next to her but nose of car was in crosswalk by 2 ft when a person on a bike that is less fortunate (Homeless Street person) ran into the side of her suv
and he landed on the hood, of course he had to go to E.R for pain meds (saw that coming) I bought him a new bike anyway, she got a ticket for crosswalk blocking & he got ticket for riding bike in crosswalk, paint damage to her car.....UGH !!
3.another speeding ticket ...actually speed trap posted for 45 MPH BUT drops to 35 MPH by an elected officials driveway then goes back to 45 MPH...she was clocked at 50 MPH so no contest pay fine & move on
4. Driving on a four lane road there was another car on her left when a landscaping truck pulled out from a side street on her right so she had to swerve slightly to the left so to miss the truck but sideswiped the vehicle next to her
minor damage to both vehicles, no injuries & no tickets issued...
5. Pulling into her parking spot at work, her heel on right foot got caught in carpeted floor mat & when she tried to pull her heel up the gas pedal got pushed down (I know, I don't understand it either) so she hit a finished cinder block wall
head on, steering wheel air bag & knee airbag went off ,no tickets & only a police report required, left some nasty bruises, but x-rays at hospital shows nothing is broken, how come a car like this with all those anti whatever sensors didn't stop before collision ?
Note to self ask Mercedes about this issue !

So there are the facts, all within about 18 months, I guess if I was an insurance company I would be charging her MORE !

Get notified of new replies

To Big increase for Insurance! Need Options

Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
OP, not wanting to meddle in your personal life, but...it might be time for your wife to pay for all auto insurance, since she is the cause of the problem. That might slow her down some....just sayin'.

Good luck!
Jim
agreed, she needs a wake up call, it could save someone’s life one day...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Her punishment should be driving an old inexpensive car with dents and scrapes already provided. No more nice Mercedes until the rates go down.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Maybe I'm the only poor sap around here whose wife rules the roost, but I think I'm going to call BS on some of these false courage opinions. I'd like see to them handle their respective wives and their mishaps. If I took that approach, my car collection would get cut in half (if I got lucky) and my house would turn much smaller.

Quick Reply: Big increase for Insurance! Need Options