C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing soon

Old 09-16-2018, 10:50 AM
HondaBalt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing soon

New here. Coming from a 500whp cobalt that i finally blew up. Now looking to get a vette. Maybe someone here knows the previous owner? Its a 2010 GS 4LT in missouri (im from minnesota). Going down to look at it and possibly buy tuesday. Its a 6speed with 95k and im paying 23k for it. Its got a couple scratches here and there and edge of door is chipped a tiny bit. Just wondering what i should look for. Its a 3 owner car that looks like it was all highway miles for each owner. Sales guy knew the guy who owned it before and said he had fun with it but never tracked it. Just want some opinions and advice if possible. Thanks all!

Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,422 Likes on 2,790 Posts

Sounds like a nice car. They made a lot of these, so unlikely anyone here will know the former owner. It has a lot of miles, but these cars are robust.

Be aware that running costs on these cars are high. Tires last 15k or so and start at a grand. There is only one set of all season tires for them, and they're more like 2500 for a set. Brakes are similarly expensive. Parts and upgrades are expensive, and your perception of "fast cars" is forever skewed and becomes much more expensive.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 AM
HondaBalt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Sounds like a nice car. They made a lot of these, so unlikely anyone here will know the former owner. It has a lot of miles, but these cars are robust.

Be aware that running costs on these cars are high. Tires last 15k or so and start at a grand. There is only one set of all season tires for them, and they're more like 2500 for a set. Brakes are similarly expensive. Parts and upgrades are expensive, and your perception of "fast cars" is forever skewed and becomes much more expensive.
I didnt think the miles would matter much. The car was in the carolinas for most of its life.

Im not entirely worried about upkeep, honestly. I know i wont be driving this one most of the year anyhow. I dont go with tires (outside of winter) that are anything less than “ultra high performance summer” tires. Ive already spent $1500 on track tires this year anyhow. I work for a dealer so we get a good deal through tire rack as well.

Brakes are not a huge concern either considering i typically engine brake more than applying the brake. Doing all my own work, it should be a comparable streetable project as my cobalt was. My perception of fast cars is already skewed. That cobalt hurt a lot of feelings before it blew.

Looking at performance parts, theyre not as expensive as i had thought. A cam w/ accompanying mods are cheaper than what they were with the ecotec motor.

The plan for this one, if i buy it, bolt ons and a cam. Suspension and brake work too, but all simple things.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,407 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I know everyone thinks GS is the only Corvette to own, but for the same money you can get a pristine '09 with known history and 1/3 to 1/2 the miles.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like it is a 4LT so check the dash over for delamination. The leather dash on 4LT cars can start to come loose and it is an expensive fix. Also check the harmonic balancer for wobble. Another expensive repair there.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Since you can work on it yourself, I wouldn’t worry about the mileage at all. If it looks and drives well and the car fax is good it seems that it would be good fun.

Good on luck and tell us how it turns out.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Seems like a fair price. I would not believe anything the salesman told me. Just for comparison, 2.5 years ago, I passed on a '10 GS with 3LT, in similar condition, 100K miles. Only had minor defects, one owner. It was priced at $22.5. Try to pick it up for $21K, with an increase to $22K, if you need to. And, if you really like it, pay full price...not that much more money, and the extra grand will not mean much after you buy it.

Very reliable cars, with small quirks that you are able to address. Great candidate for bolt-ons, much better than spending $30K, then adding the cost of bolt-ons. JMO, though.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

At least you'll be familiar with the steering wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing soon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing soon