C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust - Muffler Rust, Squeaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 PM
mike3LT
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Exhaust - Muffler Rust, Squeaking Noise

Hi guys/gals, did a search before posting and didn't find anything that covered my issues in detail. If anyone knows of a thread that covers either of these, by all means send my way (and thanks in advance).

1. I noticed some rust on each of the muffler cans. A buddy of mine suggested sand paper and high temperature paint (I am guessing clear). Does this sound right to you? I welcome any suggestions or personal experience you may have with this.

2. I've noticed a ringing/squeaking noise when going over bumps. At first I was unable to pinpoint it, but today I suspected it might be the exhaust. I shook the tips up and down (when cool of course) and it produced the same sound. I do not recall hearing this noise until recently - is there something that needs to be tightened or adjusted?

Could leaving the M2W switch in loud mode be the catalyst for either of these issues?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well, those stock mufflers are not made of 304 stainless like some of the expensive aftermarket mufflers ... so you are bound to get a little rust coloration around those small moisture drain holes in the back of the mufflers.

Don't worry a bit about it ... They will still last a long time
Old 09-20-2018, 06:06 PM
mike3LT
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Not terribly concerned, mufflers can be replaced if needed down the road. So you would not even attempt sanding and a clear coat?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The mufflers are painted flat black from the factory ... If you get bored, get some fine steel wool and remove the little surface rust you see around those drain holes ... then spray with a spray can of flat black BBQ grill paint.

Remember ... neatness counts !
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM
rick g
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Squeak

I found my rear hatch was squeaking. I wiped it with silicone and that took care of the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust - Muffler Rust, Squeaking Noise

Quick Reply: Exhaust - Muffler Rust, Squeaking Noise