C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 AM
kperez
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Breaks

Hey guys im looking for some recommendations for some aftermarket brakes for my 2009 2lt base, my current ones are starting to squeak like crazy, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you just looking for pad replacement? Or are you looking for a brake upgrade (new calipers, larger rotors, pads)?

For pads, get EBC Yellow Stuff.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

You can use the search function here to read the hundreds of threads on brakes. If the car is a daily driver you could go with a good ceramic low dusting pad. Numerous suppliers carry these pads and are usually available at your local auto parts store.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Do you need pads and rotors or just pads? How many miles on the rotors? What are you using the car for? I'm guessing just street if that is the case I would recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad. A performance street pad that is rotor friendly and low dusting.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

If interested I will be happy to help you out or you can order online here http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out to save 5%.

Part numbers
F: CT731 1521
R:CT732 1521
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 09-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:21 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kperez
Hey guys im looking for some recommendations for some aftermarket brakes for my 2009 2lt base, my current ones are starting to squeak like crazy, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
obviously i assume your pads are still present and you're not running metal on metal...

IF you have the z51 or f55 option chances are all you need to stop (minimize) the squeaking is changing to oem ceramic pads.
worked for me and many others.

The following users liked this post:
kperez (09-27-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by kperez
As others have noted, plenty of choices for both pads & rotors. All depends upon your driving style & pocketbook. BUT.....before you jump to spend $$$....are your pads really worn or just squeaking? How many miles on the pads? How much thickness left? Any scoring on the rotors? Pull the front wheels & check the pads & rotors (fronts will wear before rears). If the pads & rotors look good, squeal may just be due to high frequency vibration of the pads under braking. Simple fix is to pull the pads & put a THIN coat of hi-temp grease on the back of the pads (be careful not to get grease on the rotors) & reassemble. Good chance that will cure the squeal & not cost you anything.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Assuming you only have pads squeaking and not metal to metal, one easy way to stop it, is to go to a safe area and do a couple hard stops from around 60-70 mph to clear off the pads and rotors. Don't do that If you have little to no pad remaining. Check pad thickness first.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:45 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Do you need pads and rotors or just pads? How many miles on the rotors? What are you using the car for? I'm guessing just street if that is the case I would recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad. A performance street pad that is rotor friendly and low dusting.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

If interested I will be happy to help you out or you can order online here http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out to save 5%.

Part numbers
I'm using these on my 2011 GS. Have about 3,000 miles on them now. I'm a happy customer. Quiet, low dusting, good performance. I don't track the car, but do auto-x.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com

Part numbers
I happen to be selling a used set complete with StopTech slotted rotors. I am selling them because I went Carbotech XP8/XP10 for the track and never bothered to take them off. PM me if interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Breaks

Quick Reply: Breaks