C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am new here and own a 1990 Mustang convertable

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
Default I am new here and own a 1990 Mustang convertable

I know my Mustang is a piece of crap compared to one of these beauties but I do like the way they look when done right, all bark and no bite with CRAP quality sums the Fox body Mustang up!.

Anyhow thanks for any help and info on this ? I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a car dealership and he was telling me that when GM got the bailout in the late 2000's they were making some really good cars with great quality right after that and interestingly enough I went to a Chevy dealership yesterday and asked one of the mechanics which Corvettes were the most reliable and made the best and he told the 10' and the 11's were the peak in quality and after that they were not the same.

Is there any merit to this or is it BS, Thanks........
Old 10-09-2018, 01:58 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I would say the mechanic is all wet. Now as in most cases, when a car manufacturer comes out with a new model/generation there will be more issues with the first year and each year will improve. I have a 2007 and I have not had any real issues. the LS engines if taken care of will last a long time. The LS3 which was available in the 2008 and up is a better engine for performance mods then the LS2 that was in the 2005-2007 models, but again there is nothing wrong with an LS2. I have never had a Z06, but I have read that there is an issue with the heads on the Z06's and valve issues. Other then that there are always problems that seem common on each model year. The Harmonic balancer, the shifter cable on the A6 equipped cars . Do a search for common issues with C6's or look at the sticky threads above the main thread section for other issues.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Can't believe you admitted to Rustang ownership.

I think the '12 & '13 C6's were the best ever made.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 10-09-2018 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZimC6 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

I have never owned a Vette and was thinking of getting a used one, from what I have heard for the money you cannot beat them. I do not really care for the way the newer ones look 14 + in my opinion also they are out of my price range. My most important thing is relability long term, I have been reading these cars are reliable and very well made and right now you can get them used for a good orice. Everybody seems to want trucks and SUV's so cars are selling fairly cheap.

I like the Vipers also " MACHISMO " but have been reading the Vettes are a much better car overall, I think I want a 2005 - 13 but how does the earlier version compare 98 - 2004 ? You can find the older ones with low miles is all and like all Vettes they look great !. I would not want anything ealier than say a 2000 I do not believe ? What is better about a 12 or 13 over a 10 or 11 and for reliabilty which ones have proven best. I read some 2007's had engine issues ?

Again thanks for the help.....

Last edited by Whipitnow; 10-09-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:20 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

2007's DID NOT have engine issues. The LS2 ('05-'07), and the LS3 ('08 to '13) are reliability monsters. Same for trans. whether stick or auto. There is now little price diff between late-C5's and early-C6's, so I don't know what the attraction would be to a C5. Newer is better with Vettes, as the engineering and technology got better with each gen. All vehicles have some shared faults, and the C6 is no exception (HB, some electrical gremlins, maybe oil pan seepage, etc), but none of the problems are of the terminal type. Ten years from now, these cars will be well known for their reliability. Search "common C6 Vette issues" for more info.

Buy the newest C6 you can afford, and don't worry about the miles. Price and miles are relative, so decide what is important to you. Do your research to determine what color/trans/body style/trim level/options you want so you don't wind up buying something, then seeing another you like better.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
I know my Mustang is a piece of crap compared to one of these beauties but I do like the way they look when done right, all bark and no bite with CRAP quality sums the Fox body Mustang up!.

Anyhow thanks for any help and info on this ? I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a car dealership and he was telling me that when GM got the bailout in the late 2000's they were making some really good cars with great quality right after that and interestingly enough I went to a Chevy dealership yesterday and asked one of the mechanics which Corvettes were the most reliable and made the best and he told the 10' and the 11's were the peak in quality and after that they were not the same.

Is there any merit to this or is it BS, Thanks........
Well you wouldn't have to worry about all bark and no bite with a C-6. The performance for the $$$ is well known and accurate. Now when it comes to quality.....your gonna get a lot of bias and in denial on that. While they won't break you down on the side of the road anymore than any other car....there over all build quality is problematic......
Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I was a Mustang owner for the last 27 years, just got my first Corvetfe. It’ll be a good move for you. I went from probably one of the coolest Mustangs you could possibly own, a 2003 Cobra better known as the “Terminator” to a 2008 C6. The Corvette is WAY nicer. As far as reliability goes I’ve been in the auto repair business since 1992 and will tell you that my customers that owned Corvettes never had tons of problems. Tires and oil changes are a little more expensive but that’s not a big deal. Get a C6, you’ll love it.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Whipitnow
Pro

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well you wouldn't have to worry about all bark and no bite with a C-6. The performance for the $$$ is well known and accurate. Now when it comes to quality.....your gonna get a lot of bias and in denial on that. While they won't break you down on the side of the road anymore than any other car....there over all build quality is problematic......
Whats the problematic part you are refering too ?

I talked to a dealer some years back when the C6 just came out and he said GM did not really make money on these cars and was selling them at practically cost because they wanted them out their getting a reputation for destroying much more expensive sport cars for bragging rights and it was a ploy to sell more cars across the board overall. That's just what I was told so value for value the cars are impossible too beat......
Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Whats the problematic part you are refering too ?

I talked to a dealer some years back when the C6 just came out and he said GM did not really make money on these cars and was selling them at practically cost because they wanted them out their getting a reputation for destroying much more expensive sport cars for bragging rights and it was a ploy to sell more cars across the board overall. That's just what I was told so value for value the cars are impossible too beat......
Whats problematic ?? For starts lets go with the harmonic balancer.......then theres the auto shift cable dilemma......then how bout the won't come out of park dilemma......then lets not forget the clutch master cylinder dilemma.....then theres the snap-crackle-pop 3rd member dilemma.......need I go on ????........
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Whats problematic ?? For starts lets go with the harmonic balancer.......then theres the auto shift cable dilemma......then how bout the won't come out of park dilemma......then lets not forget the clutch master cylinder dilemma.....then theres the snap-crackle-pop 3rd member dilemma.......need I go on ????........
And shrinking carpet, squeaky/rattling roof, garbage wheel hubs and melting slave cylinders. They're great fun cars but far from perfect.

Oh and I'm still a current 92 GT owner but have built at least a dozen mustang's. One of my car was slated for MMFF before I sold it.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Thats why I asked are some series better than others overall, I like the way the front looks on the C5 a little better, I was reading the headlight piece gets foggy on a C6 and is like 1200 $ a piece to replace ? I like the way the C5 looks in a convertable but was reading the C6 has a better drive train and motor.

Thanks for the help,
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Thats why I asked are some series better than others overall, I like the way the front looks on the C5 a little better, I was reading the headlight piece gets foggy on a C6 and is like 1200 $ a piece to replace ? I like the way the C5 looks in a convertable but was reading the C6 has a better drive train and motor.

Thanks for the help,
C6 is a better car in every way
Old 10-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

i JUST LOOKED AT A 2007 z06 IN YELLOW with 16,000 miles on it for 37 grand. If I just want to cruise around a Z06 is not necessary ? and are those the ones with engines issues ? What is it a carbon fiber car ?

I am reading about these things and boy are there alot of combos, is a 07 Z06 one of the wide bodies ? I think this is engine that had issues ? I will read more. The yellow is a bit much but what a nice car....

Thanks for any help......

Last edited by Whipitnow; 10-10-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Whipitnow
Pro

I have alot of reading and looking to do.

I will give Chevy alot of credit on this, they never made a Corvette that wasn't beautuiful eye candy.

Thanks you all for all the help......

Get notified of new replies

To I am new here and own a 1990 Mustang convertable

Quick Reply: I am new here and own a 1990 Mustang convertable