C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Headlights

I bought my 08 Z in June and the headlights were tinted. The passenger's side had what looked like cracks so I guess it was covered with tint to hide it. I ordered a new set of lenses from RLSebring. I have to say...what a pain in the a$$. It was really easy to get the lights out but splitting those cases and getting the old sealer out..rough. I got everything done and pulled the Z out in the sun and noticed finger prints all over the black bezel on the passenger's side. I couldn't live with it so apart it came..it sat for 24 hours with the new sealer before I took it apart the second time..glad it's done..

The following users liked this post:
RLSebring (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HT1663WB
I bought my 08 Z in June and the headlights were tinted. The passenger's side had what looked like cracks so I guess it was covered with tint to hide it. I ordered a new set of lenses from RLSebring. I have to say...what a pain in the a$$. It was really easy to get the lights out but splitting those cases and getting the old sealer out..rough. I got everything done and pulled the Z out in the sun and noticed finger prints all over the black bezel on the passenger's side. I couldn't live with it so apart it came..it sat for 24 hours with the new sealer before I took it apart the second time..glad it's done..

I am going to tackle this next weekend, I will make sure to inspect them before I reassemble. Thanks for the tip..
Old 10-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

I'll be tackling this project this winter, but I'll be wearing gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:12 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
I'll be tackling this project this winter, but I'll be wearing gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints.
I tried that...its not just finger prints. The gloves leave smudges...just double check everything before reassembly. Good luck
Old 10-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Great job man! Those lenses were in awful shape!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:41 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Great job man! Those lenses were in awful shape!
Thank you. They were tinted with heavy vinyl. I peeled it off and that was the glue that was left behind.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Nice Job!! I take it the additional instructions worked out?
Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I can say one thing...I got mine back in but had to make a few adjustments to get the panel gaps right and to get them aimed properly, if you remove the 3 screws from the case you stand a chance of them not being in the right place when you reinstall them.....I didn't see that in any of the instructions, just something to note for those looking to do this project

Last edited by pewter99; 10-04-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:58 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by pewter99
I can say one thing...I got mine back in but had to make a few adjustments to get the panel gaps right and to get them aimed properly, if you remove the 3 screws from the case you stand a chance of them not being in the right place when you reinstall them.....I didn't see that in any of the instructions, just something to note for those looking to do this project
Good point. Out of the few thousand lens replacement jobs I've did I have only ran across a few that had and odd number of washers and on those I marked where they went back in for the customer. Will definitely edit my instructions to reflect that.

Thanks for input.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Nice Job!! I take it the additional instructions worked out?
Yes they did! Thank you for the quick response to my question! Excellent customer service!!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM
dizzles
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lot of people are quick to purchase new lenses when they purchase a new Vette with headlights that are in the condition you are experiencing. Me personally what I have done to a few of my friends lights was wet sand and buff the headlights to almost new condition just to save the hassle of going through what you went through. Some headlights are far to bad for restoration, but I've only came across 1 out of 10+ I've done. Sorry you had to go through the hassle, but it def looks a lot better and I'm sure you feel a lot better about your ride as well lol.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizzles
Lot of people are quick to purchase new lenses when they purchase a new Vette with headlights that are in the condition you are experiencing. Me personally what I have done to a few of my friends lights was wet sand and buff the headlights to almost new condition just to save the hassle of going through what you went through. Some headlights are far to bad for restoration, but I've only came across 1 out of 10+ I've done. Sorry you had to go through the hassle, but it def looks a lot better and I'm sure you feel a lot better about your ride as well lol.

They were tinted when I purchased the Z in June. The passenger's side lense had what looked like cracks. The drivers side was perfect. The tint was covering up the cracks until you turned the lights on. I didnt notice it prior to purchasing...my daughter pointed it out later that night. There was no fixing it. I just replaced both so everything matched. Z has 26k on it. The lights on the floor have the tint removed..thats glue all over them.

Last edited by HT1663WB; 10-05-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights

Quick Reply: Headlights