C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit by a crazy man!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Sadly, I'd take the money and get a replacement car. It's what I did when my car got totaled and my replacement ended up being a color I always wanted with all the options I wanted.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by gowenfast
You clearly are NOT in the car business for a living, as I am. Carfax pays shops/service facilities, etc to report to them, so, yes it'll be reported. States don't have a single thing to do about "recognizing" diminished value, ZERO. It is the insurance companies that have had it crammed down their throats that recognize diminished value, and that's virtually 100%. I live these facts every single day. These are the facts, period.
Your credentials are lacking. My wife’s new Denali was rear ended and it was not reported. No diminished value law?? Check with the state of Georgia on that and see what is and isn’t law.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:47 PM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by saplumr

Your credentials are lacking. My wife’s new Denali was rear ended and it was not reported. No diminished value law?? Check with the state of Georgia on that and see what is and isn’t law.
No, pardon me, but my credentials are the best of the best. Please read the post. It is not the duty/responsibility of ANY state to get involved with diminished value. The insurance companies have the say so. The damage report will show up on your Denali, eventually unless there was no police report, no insurance claim, no mainstream shop involved in fixing it, etc. Diminished value is NOT a law. It is a section in insurance claims that virtually every insurance company has had to begin to pay. Come back and preach to me, only after you have 40+ years in the car business, and own/operate a firm suing insurance companies to pay diminished value claims.

Last edited by gowenfast; 10-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

No, pardon me, but my credentials are the best of the best. Please read the post. It is not the duty/responsibility of ANY state to get involved with diminished value. The insurance companies have the say so. The damage report will show up on your Denali, eventually unless there was no police report, no insurance claim, no mainstream shop involved in fixing it, etc. Diminished value is NOT a law. It is a section in insurance claims that virtually every insurance company has had to begin to pay. Come back and preach to me, only after you have 40+ years in the car business, and own/operate a firm suing insurance companies to pay diminished value claims.
40 years and you still can’t get it right. I’ve been in the Plumbing and HVAC business for 45 years and we have codes we go by but does that mean EVERYONE does it right? Only a fool to think so.

Last edited by saplumr; 10-14-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My 07 Impala SS had $8k of damages when someone t-boned it in 2008. Chevys don't hold their value but I was given a quote from the dealer on a trade in of around $12k (about $26k new). So I had $8k of damage including the B pillar being bent. I checked the diminished value laws for my state (which do vary a lot between each state if they allow it at all). The Diminished Value company I went with ($350) sent out an appraiser and he said about $4k in diminished value. Then I had to submit the paperwork to his insurance company (Allstate). A few letters back and forth and they agreed to around $2500 from what I remember. My next step was to take them to court if I wanted more.

Sold the car about 4 years later and I disclosed the accident. No issues from the accident with the exception of a sensor in the door failed twice. Yes, I ended up selling it for about $2k less than other similar cars. They may even say your damage is just 'cosmetic' and not cover it all. They were about to do that to me until I reminded them the b pillar is part of the frame for that car. Will the value even out eventually? Probably for most cars.

That is why I said "dump" it earlier in the post. $21k would be tough to get (especially from a dealer) even before the accident. Once you decide to keep it that is the final decision no matter what issues it has down the road. Yes, I know we love our Corvettes but in the end it is just a car. Cars are expendable so don't be attached to it too much. I actually seen one guy almost have a breakdown over a rock chip on his C6 that he "rarely drove because he fears it may be damaged."
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by saplumr

40 years and you still can’t get it right. I’ve been in the Plumbing and HVAC business for 45 years and we have codes we go by but does that mean EVERYONE does it right? Only a fool to think so.
When your Denali turns up with prior damage on the Carfax, autocheck, or the like. We'll see who had the correct answer, me. Don't scream too much when you trade it, or sell it outright and you get whacked for the damage. Someone tried to help you, but you are obviously an expert. Best of luck
The following users liked this post:
JJ1956 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 02:36 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

When your Denali turns up with prior damage on the Carfax, autocheck, or the like. We'll see who had the correct answer, me. Don't scream too much when you trade it, or sell it outright and you get whacked for the damage. Someone tried to help you, but you are obviously an expert. Best of luck
I didn't keep it , traded a long time ago. When my dealer listed it as available for sale carfax was clean. None of us know everything, regardless of what some think.

Quick Reply: Got hit by a crazy man!