C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Joshchewbacca
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 Harmonic balancer

Hi guys,
I bought a 2005 corvette this past Thursday. I’ve done some reading about this common problem and I’ve noticed my belts chirp for about 20 minutes and then stop after the car is warmed up. My harmonic balancer does wobble, but from my understanding they all do. I am wondering if mine is shot or not.

Heres a video for reference:
Old 10-13-2018, 04:25 PM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshchewbacca
Hi guys,
I bought a 2005 corvette this past Thursday. I’ve done some reading about this common problem and I’ve noticed my belts chirp for about 20 minutes and then stop after the car is warmed up. My harmonic balancer does wobble, but from my understanding they all do. I am wondering if mine is shot or not.

I don't think that they all do, but it seems like it's an issue on the LS2/LS3 motors. My balancer wobbled and the belts squeaked. A replacement set of belts was only a temporary fix, so I had the one on my '07 replaced at an independent corvette shop. No more wobble, no more squeal...

Some here will adamantly tell you that the balancer is supposed to wobble ... Some will say to run it that way... I say if you can get it replaced, do it. Just don't use another GM part, they're known to fail. There are several acceptable replacements out there. If you're not running a supercharger, you'll probably be best off to run the standard size, not the smaller one. If you're going to change the cam in the motor, the perfect time to do it is when you swap out the balancer...

Costs will vary depending on where you are and who does it, mine was $900 total, parts (ATI balancer, new bolt, new seal, new belts) and about 4 hours labor. The shop I used has done a lot of them!!
Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 PM
zaragoza
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

My 2005 would make a noise for about 10 or 15 minutes after start, and I could see a little wobble so I decided to replace the damper it with an ATI balancer, new seals, belts, bolt, and also replaced the water pump (66,000 Miles).
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Is there any downside to letting it chirp as long as the belt doesn't fail? Besides the obvious annoying noise? Or is this a replacement so when you are sitting at a light you don't feel embarrassed because your car sounds horrible?

None of mine have ever failed or even made any noise (knock-wood). That's 320,000 miles (two cars). The one I just bought had it replaced last year (due to noise).
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

You need to replace it, this is a known issue with our LS2's, I also have an 05, did the replacement myself, it wasn't that hard just had to pull the radiator and that gives you room.

Bought mine from Oreily's for ~ $215 and the ARP bolt and flywheel lock on Ebay for ~ $75, it's a good time to replace the belt and idler pulleys also. Don't let it get so bad that it throws the outer pulley and does a lot more damage.

JMO
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

more LS3's fail than LS2's
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Just curious, but where are you getting that stat from?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

My 08 vert has the squeak for a couple of minuets at the first startup of the day. Has done it since new and eve after I replaced the harmonic balancer.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Joshchewbacca
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BMF_C6
You need to replace it, this is a known issue with our LS2's, I also have an 05, did the replacement myself, it wasn't that hard just had to pull the radiator and that gives you room.

Bought mine from Oreily's for ~ $215 and the ARP bolt and flywheel lock on Ebay for ~ $75, it's a good time to replace the belt and idler pulleys also. Don't let it get so bad that it throws the outer pulley and does a lot more damage.

JMO

You didn’t have to drop the steering rack or anything like that?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

You have to move the steering rack out of the way. You cannot get the HB bolt out with the rack bolted up. I just unbolted it and moved it to the side. I did not remove my radiator.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 10-13-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:43 AM
Joshchewbacca
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by owc6
Is there any downside to letting it chirp as long as the belt doesn't fail? Besides the obvious annoying noise? Or is this a replacement so when you are sitting at a light you don't feel embarrassed because your car sounds horrible?

None of mine have ever failed or even made any noise (knock-wood). That's 320,000 miles (two cars). The one I just bought had it replaced last year (due to noise).
Just wondering if it’s nessesary to change immediately. I’d hate to have it go and do further damage. I have one more day of driving it before I store it for winter and will likely replace it come spring. I’m just not sure if mine is moving a lot or with in tolerance.

Nobody has said how how long they let it go before it failed on them.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

I've changed quite a few of them.LS2 3 year production.LS3 6 year production and the HB's were never improved
Old 10-14-2018, 09:26 AM
BMF_C6
Pro

You can't get to the HB without moving the rack - didn't mention it because that is a known. I was having to replace not only the HB but also the pressure hose of the power steering pump and while there threw another water pump on so I dropped the front plastic off (this is very easy!), pulled the lower radiator bracket and radiator which gives you full access to front of the engine. Had to lower the engine cradle 1/2" or so - there is a good write up on this forum for this. Had to loosen my right bank headers to be able to drop the starter to get the flywheel lock on for torquing the ARP bolt <<<< that was the hardest part - I really thought something was going to snap before I got my torque wrench to pop.........

As far as driving it with a chirp that goes away - I don't see a problem with that - my belt chirp was constant and actually getting worse - the inner rubber that connected the inner & outer sections of HB was very dry rotted and slowly separating, I didn't have a choice.

Last edited by BMF_C6; 10-14-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:33 AM
BMF_C6
Pro

Just wondering if it’s nessesary to change immediately. I’d hate to have it go and do further damage. I have one more day of driving it before I store it for winter and will likely replace it come spring. I’m just not sure if mine is moving a lot or with in tolerance.

Nobody has said how how long they let it go before it failed on them.
I think you will be fine - if the chirping becomes constant and doesn't go away (like mine was) I don't think one more day of fun driving you baby is going to hurt anything. Go have fun!!!
Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I've seen no difference in failure rates between the gen 3 and gen 4's. I've replaced a dozen or more alone. Always use ATI pulleys and normally pin the crank at the same time in case the customer decides to boost it later down the line.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Harmonic balancer

Quick Reply: 2005 Harmonic balancer