C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Column Lock/Service Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Service Column Lock/Service Charging System

Hey guys! 05 M6 Vette......Had the service column lock message pop up constantly all summer long as I was driving. I just ignored it every time as it never left me stranded........Until two weeks ago lol. I pulled the negative battery terminal for a minute or so and it let me start it. Also, every once in a while I would get the “Service charging system” error.

So, I purchased a new column lock bypass and installed it Sunday. The previous owner already had one installed so I figured the old one failed. Turned the car on and got the same error message and I had to press the start button 2-3 times opening the door in between until it finally fired. I took it to autozone for a alternator and battery test and they said the battery was good (less than a year old) and that the alternator was good too. The employee mentioned something about the starter wire being loose or something.

Car car has a cam and LT headers. The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t insulate the starter when I put the LTs on (of course, I read that after I had the headers installed.)

Anyone have any ideas of what is going on?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:33 AM
a91sportyc
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 05 vert does the same exact thing. No bypass installed and sometimes I have to disconnect the battery then reconnect to get her going. After the car sits for a few days, when I hit the start button I can hear the column lock disengage....really...slowly. Next time I cycle the column lock it moves much faster.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=REDSEE5;1598165259]Hey guys! 05 M6 Vette......Had the service column lock message pop up constantly all summer long as I was driving. I just ignored it every time as it never left me stranded........Until two weeks ago lol. I pulled the negative battery terminal for a minute or so and it let me start it. Also, every once in a while I would get the “Service charging system” error.

So, I purchased a new column lock bypass and installed it Sunday. The previous owner already had one installed so I figured the old one failed. Turned the car on and got the same error message and I had to press the start button 2-3 times opening the door in between until it finally fired. I took it to autozone for a alternator and battery test and they said the battery was good (less than a year old) and that the alternator was good too. The employee mentioned something about the starter wire being loose or something.

Car car has a cam and LT headers. The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t insulate the starter when I put the LTs on (of course, I read that after I had the headers installed.)

Anyone have any ideas of what is going on?[/QUOT

In many cases and on my 05 the Steering Column Lock Module which is the small black box that you are plugging the Column Lock Bypass Module into is bad. It has relays in it that fail. I had to repl. this on my car to get rid of the error message. So I would just order that from GM it's around 150.00. Some on here will tell you it has to be programmed with a Tech 2 but myself and many others have not had to do that.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an 05 too and have a question..........Can you still have this problem {service column lock) if your steering wheel never gets locked ? I try to make sure my wheel doesn't lock when I get out of the car, Thanks, in advance
Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Dano would bea good one to answer this question but my 2 cents is the BCM is probably looking at resistance on that circuit coming from the motor and would error out whether the lock pin made it in or not.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
I have an 05 too and have a question..........Can you still have this problem {service column lock) if your steering wheel never gets locked ? I try to make sure my wheel doesn't lock when I get out of the car, Thanks, in advance
Mine has never actually locked the steering wheel. It just doesn’t want to start sometimes.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The problem is eventually it will leave you stranded and removing the battery cable will not get you going. (ask me how I know)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

On my '05 I had to clean the battery terminals and cables to make it work again. Seems that the ECU needs a specific voltage or higher to unlock the steering wheel lock or the car won't start. I found my alternator was absolutely fine and the new battery was as it should be but the car would not start. One time while removing the negative cable for a few minutes while waiting for the ECU to reset (that always seemed to work) I realized the cable connector and the terminal were not squeaky clean or highly polished so I cleaned them when I got home. Car worked fine for several months until it happened again (and again) after which I'd clean the cable/terminals again. Rinse, repeat.

So if the connection at the battery is less than optimal, the freaking car won't start.

The column lock eliminator solved my problem though and I did not clean the cable/terminals again before selling the car. Apparently the eliminator is less finicky about the voltage from the battery and sends the proper command to the ECU allowing the car to start.

See if cleaning the cable connector and terminal helps. It did for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Column Lock/Service Charging System

Quick Reply: Service Column Lock/Service Charging System