C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start-Interior lights stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 PM
KevDude
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts
Default No start-Interior lights stay on?

Got stranded at a restaurant with the "Push brake to start" message. Car wouldn't start with pushing the brake, pumping the brake, putting key fob in glove box, nothing. The brake lights wouldn't turn on when pushed, but the accessory would turn on. Got a ride home, came back with tools and when I got to the car, the lights flashed like it was being unlocked, but I didn't do anything. Got in and it started right up. Drove it home with the wife following me and when I got home she said that my brake lights were on the entire time, but would turn off when I pushed the brakes. Opposite of normal. I made it home and got it into the garage. Brake lights wouldn't light up when pushed. Didn't start again right away, but then it would start without even hitting or pushing the brakes? it only sporadically starts now. The battery read 12.4 V, so probably a little low. Interior lights stay on with the dash MPH, Tach, Fuel, etc. all still lit up, even out of the car with the lock button pushed. I put it on a charger to see if I can get the battery charged fully. The battery is an Oddysey AGM and is only about 6 months old. The "service traction control" light has also been turning on lately when I hit the brakes a little hard. Not sure if the reverse brake thing is happening then or not. It did this before, so I changed the battery and reseated the blue connector in the passenger compartment and it worked fine for about 6 months. Any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 PM
KevDude
Racer

no one else has had this issue? Looks like a battery issue to me with only 12.4-5 volts. Weird issues for sure. Looks like I am riding the motorcycle tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Kev, you certainly have some electrical issues but I think they are beyond the battery. 12.4 volts isn't unusual for a car that's not running. What initially led you to the "blue connector"? Why not check that out again?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:04 PM
KevDude
Racer

Last I had a similar issue with the brake lights and the service active handling system, I reseated the connector and changed the battery at the same time. Not sure which one worked. Weird issue. I will work on it again this weekend.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Electrical gremlins will usually mean the Battery is weak. New or not.....

Clif
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 AM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=z06clif;1598186550]Electrical gremlins will usually mean the Battery is weak. New or not.....

Cliff

Last edited by johnny3; 10-19-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by KevDude
no one else has had this issue? Looks like a battery issue to me with only 12.4-5 volts. Weird issues for sure. Looks like I am riding the motorcycle tomorrow.
Are you checking the battery with the a voltmeter with the car not running?....12,4 volts is good.I've never seen more than 12 volts before startup and after startup the alternator takes over.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:35 PM
KevDude
Racer

Yes, I am checking with the volt meter. 12.2 to 12.4, and around 14.1 when running, so I know the alternator is working well.

I drove it hard yesterday for around 20 minutes and all was good. Took it for a drive in the mountains with the wife and about 45 minutes in, I braked firmly, but not hard at all, and the "service active handling system" came on. I was in town and driving normally. Took it home, checked for codes with my Foxwell, none. Started it back up and drove it to dinner. Worked great. Seems that if I brake firmly it sets off the "service Active Handling system" warning. Once I turn the car off and restart, it is fine. It only wouldn't start that one time. Besides that it runs fine. The no start lights staying on issue sounds like a low or weak battery, but not sure about the error message when I push the brakes firmly. Really don't want to take it in so someone can drive the crap out of it waiting for it to go off again. Would Advance Auto have a better scan tool that would be able to read these types of signals? I would stop by when it does it and leave my car running if so. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by KevDude
Yes, I am checking with the volt meter. 12.2 to 12.4, and around 14.1 when running, so I know the alternator is working well.

I drove it hard yesterday for around 20 minutes and all was good. Took it for a drive in the mountains with the wife and about 45 minutes in, I braked firmly, but not hard at all, and the "service active handling system" came on. I was in town and driving normally. Took it home, checked for codes with my Foxwell, none. Started it back up and drove it to dinner. Worked great. Seems that if I brake firmly it sets off the "service Active Handling system" warning. Once I turn the car off and restart, it is fine. It only wouldn't start that one time. Besides that it runs fine. The no start lights staying on issue sounds like a low or weak battery, but not sure about the error message when I push the brakes firmly. Really don't want to take it in so someone can drive the crap out of it waiting for it to go off again. Would Advance Auto have a better scan tool that would be able to read these types of signals? I would stop by when it does it and leave my car running if so. Thanks for the replies.
No Sir...Only a Tech11 will read the codes you need to see.

Get notified of new replies

To No start-Interior lights stay on?

Quick Reply: No start-Interior lights stay on?