C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to go.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 AM
BigB72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time to go.

Well as much as I hate to say goodbye I have to. My 2009 Corvette was involved in a wreck back on 10-3-18 and the insurance company is not will to spend the $14,600.00 to fix my vett so they totaled it out. Wasn't my fault and the girl that hit me her insurance is coving it but the amount I am told is more than 75% of the value of my car. So she walks away with her call barely damaged and I get nothing since I have only had it a little over a year. So while I learned alot about vetts and will look to getting another some day , unfortunate it wont be any time soon. Probably going back to a camaro like I had before i got my vett. THanks for all the info and all the help when I had some things I needed help on.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That bites...

Better luck with the next ride!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 AM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

That sucks. Don't you at least get paid out for the value of the car so you have a down payment for another one?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

Yeah, that's the shame of it. Having a nice car and trying to keep it that way today is a challenge. Much more so than it used to be. Physical property is not that valued by many anymore and that extends past their property to others' property. Add to that all the additional driving distractions and it's a real challenge keeping your stuff whole.

Nice car, but you'll move on and enjoy a new ride. Camaros are nice. Wish I fit in them better.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
That sucks. Don't you at least get paid out for the value of the car so you have a down payment for another one?
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why you're saying you will walk away with nothing.

Definitely sucks though. Best of luck with the new ride. You going with the newer generation Camaros or the 4th gens?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:50 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BigB72
...My 2009 Corvette was involved in a wreck back on 10-3-18 and the insurance company is not will to spend the $14,600.00 to fix my vett so they totaled it out. Wasn't my fault and the girl that hit me her insurance is coving it but the amount I am told is more than 75% of the value of my car...
How many miles are on your car? Clean title? Sounds like they're putting a very low value on your car. If you haven't successfully fought an insurance company before, you might want to talk with someone who has. They need to pay you what it would take to buy a reasonable replacement, not some wholesale or auction value.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

They're valuing your car at less than $19.5K, which is about dealer wholesale. For your next Vette you might want to consider agreed-value insurance and set the amount at what it would bring in a private sale. That way worst-case you could replace the car with one of equal age, mileage and condition. I have mine through NCM, plus it's about half the cost of the regular policy I had before.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM
JJ1956
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z
They're valuing your car at less than $19.5K, which is about dealer wholesale. For your next Vette you might want to consider agreed-value insurance and set the amount at what it would bring in a private sale. That way worst-case you could replace the car with one of equal age, mileage and condition. I have mine through NCM, plus it's about half the cost of the regular policy I had before.
That's good advice, I have agreed coverage through my insurance co. for my 2008 (they even beat NCM cost)
Old 10-18-2018, 01:54 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Where are you located? I see Texas plate. I am in Texas too. Ask them how much you can buy it back for. I may be interested in buying it back. I have all those body panels and parts off a C6 I could make it whole again.

Let me know. We can talk on phone if easier.

PS. I hope you are okay.

Last edited by QuickSilverC6; 10-18-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Blake Brooks
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickSilverC6
Where are you located? I see Texas plate. I am in Texas too. Ask them how much you can buy it back for. I may be interested in buying it back. I have all those body panels and parts off a C6 I could make it whole again.

Let me know. We can talk on phone if easier.

PS. I hope you are okay.
I’m betting it’s something structural. Mine had way less damage than this and the trunk pan was cracked so that skyrocketed the repair costs. FWIW, if the pan isn’t too badly damaged, it can be repaired and pass inspection for a rebuilt title instead of salvage. To the OP, I would definitely take my time with the situation. I sold my car shortly after getting my settlement because I thought it would be considered totaled for the exact same reason as you. Guy who bought it had it fixed and put a rebuilt title on it. Wish I had done the same instead of selling it.
The following users liked this post:
QuickSilverC6 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:02 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake Brooks

I’m betting it’s something structural. Mine had way less damage than this and the trunk pan was cracked so that skyrocketed the repair costs. FWIW, if the pan isn’t too badly damaged, it can be repaired and pass inspection for a rebuilt title instead of salvage. To the OP, I would definitely take my time with the situation. I sold my car shortly after getting my settlement because I thought it would be considered totaled for the exact same reason as you. Guy who bought it had it fixed and put a rebuilt title on it. Wish I had done the same instead of selling it.
Yeah I am thinking I can repair it. We built the widebody you see in my Avatar. We are building another Black Widebody now. And....I have another C6 I can use to rebuild his car if he can buy it back after his insurance payout and I buy from him the buyback. Might be worth it for me and everyone wins. Or we could rebuild his for him.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Blake Brooks
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickSilverC6
Yeah I am thinking I can repair it. We built the widebody you see in my Avatar. We are building another Black Widebody now. And....I have another C6 I can use to rebuild his car if he can buy it back after his insurance payout and I buy from him the buyback. Might be worth it for me and everyone wins. Or we could rebuild his for him.
I gotcha, I’m familiar with your build. Do a lot more lurking than posting on here, just thought I’d throw in my .02 where it could potentially be needed! My situation was a little different because it was a commercial insurance company so they had no interest in getting the car. But wasn’t sure if you knew about the possible trunk pan issues or not. BTW great looking car. Look forward to seeing the stripes and other extras when you get it completed

Get notified of new replies

To Time to go.

Quick Reply: Time to go.