C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?

I just installed a supercharger on my 2011 GS (A6) ... Everybody I called here in Florida wants $600 to dyno tune my car using the HP Tuners software.

Now, this is not a 'canned' tune, or a 'remote' tune, but a 'hands-on' professional tune using a Dynojet or similar dyno.

The last time I had my GS dyno tuned was after installing a set of headers. That was about 5 years ago, but I don't remember paying 600 bucks for the dyno tune.

Is $600 a little excessive, or is that how much most people are now paying around the country for a full dyno tune nowadays?

Thanks .....
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

That's pretty much the going rate however you are not guaranteed to get a correct tune. Here in SW FL there are 0 tuners here that have the ability to tune or dyno tune your car correctly. I travel 2 hours North to St. Pete to Powertech Performance to get it done right. I think I paid $600 or $650 and it took him several hours to get it spot on. Granted I have a BTR4 cam which is probably the most difficult cam to tune but they got it right. http://powertechperformance.com/
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Your up early!

I am in Cape Coral. When I had my headers installed 5 years ago, I had it tuned at 'Powertech' up in St. Pete. But then, it certainly didn't cost as much as it does now ... BTW, when I asked Joe at Powertech last week how much a dyno tune would cost, he was the highest at $700 (too much money as far as I'm concerned).

I talked to 'Valone Motorsports' (Keith Valone) in Fort Myers. They have a Dynojet, and I was told that they could have Jeremy Formato of 'Fasterproms' tune it remotely for $600 total. But for 600 bucks, I expect the tuner to be right there sitting in my car while tuning.

As for 'Tampa Tuning' ... Every time I call Tampa Tuning on the phone, nobody ever answers. All I ever get is a recording to send them an email with my request. If I can't talk to someone on the phone, I will spend my money elsewhere.

Now for 'Redline Motorsports' ... At least Redline Motorsports in Pompano Beach answers there phone when you call .... They have a dyno and will tune my car for $600. I have heard that the owner of Redline (Howard Tanner) is a good tuner, so I may get back with them and have them tune the car.
corvette312 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Tavarish is in Florida

He used Vanquish Tuning

Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

No recommendations but I agree with you that all tuners have greatly increased their costs over the last few years.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

The real irony of it is that its SUPER easy. Theres a few values everyone adjusts the same, then they're going to modify the pe tables, which the software gives them correction values to paste in. Not really a whole lot of work. In fact, the guys behind megasquirt have an auto tuning option that hptuners has been told by its customer to NOT implement, because its ruin their business.

Of that 600, 100 is taken out off the bat for a license, but still 500 bucks to copy and paste some pr values is pretty good. I'm in the wrong business...
Old 11-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by FAUEE

Of that 600, 100 is taken out off the bat for a license, but still 500 bucks to copy and paste some pr values is pretty good. I'm in the wrong business...
Lets say it takes all of 2 hours to tune the car ... That's $250 per hour

Jeeeze, I never made close to $250 per hour as a military, or a Federal Civil Service GS-13 instructor pilot when I was working.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

To tune with HP tuner, you first have to pay the credits to use the software on the car. So that's about $120 that goes directly to HP tuner to start with.
Note, the paid amount is only good for the tuner working on the car, since it will be his HP turner module that the credits are tied to. If you go to another tuner, then will need to pay for another two credits to tie the car to his HP tuner module as well.

Then you have Dyno time itself.

From here, you have the tech's time to not only dyno tune for WOT conditions, but to put the car on the street to make some small adjustments to the tune for less than WOT as well.

A few years ago, common price for HP turner, or EFI live dyno turns where around $500, so $600 is not out of the question now.

But as stated, HP tuner is just software (not anything canned that you are flashing in), so really need to find a tuner that knows how to tune to start with.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Dano ..... Say what you want ... but it still is pricey for an hour or maybe two worth of 'work'.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Your up early!

I am in Cape Coral. When I had my headers installed 5 years ago, I had it tuned at 'Powertech' up in St. Pete. But then, it certainly didn't cost as much as it does now ... BTW, when I asked Joe at Powertech last week how much a dyno tune would cost, he was the highest at $700 (too much money as far as I'm concerned).

I talked to 'Valone Motorsports' (Keith Valone) in Fort Myers. They have a Dynojet, and I was told that they could have Jeremy Formato of 'Fasterproms' tune it remotely for $600 total. But for 600 bucks, I expect the tuner to be right there sitting in my car while tuning.

As for 'Tampa Tuning' ... Every time I call Tampa Tuning on the phone, nobody ever answers. All I ever get is a recording to send them an email with my request. If I can't talk to someone on the phone, I will spend my money elsewhere.

Now for 'Redline Motorsports' ... At least Redline Motorsports in Pompano Beach answers there phone when you call .... They have a dyno and will tune my car for $600. I have heard that the owner of Redline (Howard Tanner) is a good tuner, so I may get back with them and have them tune the car.
Please let us know if we can be of assistance with your project. Thank you. HT
Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Prewoz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here in The San Antonio area i received quotes from 2 different performance shops.

One was $600.00 and the other was $550. So seems like the going rate these days.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

just had Dyno tune $550.00 here. For how it opens these motors up not a bad price.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:17 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Turbo, I agree that it is quite pricey, but if you have ever driven a “modded” car that is not tuned correctly, you would likely pay double that in a second! Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by myredhead1:
CorvetteBrent (11-02-2018), HPTuners (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Dyno tune after I did the headers was $700 Ron, yes way too much IMHO but what ya gonna do That was with HP tuners and as I remember it took 2 credits ???
Bobby

Last edited by Not So Fast; 11-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:53 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I just installed a supercharger on my 2011 GS (A6) ... Everybody I called here in Florida wants $600 to dyno tune my car using the HP Tuners software.

Now, this is not a 'canned' tune, or a 'remote' tune, but a 'hands-on' professional tune using a Dynojet or similar dyno.

The last time I had my GS dyno tuned was after installing a set of headers. That was about 5 years ago, but I don't remember paying 600 bucks for the dyno tune.

Is $600 a little excessive, or is that how much most people are now paying around the country for a full dyno tune nowadays?

Thanks .....
You've just added a supercharger. Tuning an FIed engine is far more complex than tweaking a stock LS motor on a dyno, looking for some hidden hp. Just as one example, with any SC, you must have upgraded the factory 43lb fuel injectors to probably 60 or 80 lb injectors. That means all of the injector data in the tune needs to be changed and updated and dialed in. Because of the added forced air with SC, often the MAF airflow frequency range needs to be smoothed out/dialed in to match the new injector flow rates. This is just a start. The different sized injectors will impact PE, of course, and idle too (often skipped by quicky tuners, or tooners). When I boosted my LS3, I street tuned with HPT and made a total of 33 tune adjustments before getting it perfect.

SC, BTW, is much different than NA. Once boosted everything is happening in exponential speeds. A lean condition during boost is a motor killer. You don't want a sloppy or quicky tooner here.

$600 might be a little steep for a quicky stock LS3 refinement, but as mentioned, the first time/first adjustment costs $100 just for the HPT credits. But, $600 to scratch tune an SCed engine is not bad. And yes, a good tuner in the business who has done the same setup before is going to have lots of file data that can shorten the time to dial in. I know I certainly do at this point...if I was in the business, which I am not.

I don't live in Fla, but I've been involved in lots of CF FI threads where the tuner in post #10 is mentioned and highly regarded.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 11-01-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Everyone ... Thanks for the info

I have set an appointment up with Redline Motorsports (Howard Tanner) in Pompano Beach for dyno tuning later this month.
Nice folks to work with ...

2011 Corvette GS (A6)
17,800 miles
Pfadt Headers with Cats
Pinned PowerBond Harmonic Balancer
Magnuson 'Heartbeat' SC with LS9 Injectors
Kenne Bell 'Boost A Pump' (BAP)

Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Dano ..... Say what you want ... but it still is pricey for an hour or maybe two worth of 'work'.
You know there is overhead involved too right? I mean, someone had to pay for the equipment, the shop, the insurance, etc. I feel like you MAY be oversimplifying it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?

Old 11-01-2018, 04:13 PM
HPTuners
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to mention that getting your car tuned by an experienced professional is much more valuable than a lot of people realize.
You mention that it is only two hours of actual work but that does not take into account the many years that person spent learning how to tune and perfecting their skill.
Also, consider the amount of money you spent on the car and parts included. Even if something is slightly set up wrong with the tune it could cause a lot of damage to the vehicle.
Anything that would be considered "auto tuning" would be a canned tune and not a custom tune done by a professional, and it is not an option that we have been omitting due to customer feedback.
Keep in mind the difference of $100 on a tune could save you a world of headache.

Last edited by HPTuners; 11-01-2018 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HPTuners:
CorvetteBrent (11-02-2018), Turbo6TA (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 04:33 PM
truggiero19
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I also second Redline for the tune. I dont have any direct experience with them but they did the tune on my GS for the previous owner. (I'm in Houston but flew to Miami to buy the car so my revisions with additional mods since have been by Peitz a local tuner) The tune they did for the headers the car had when I bought it performed great though. I was told it made 430rwhp headers only and I was able to run an 11.7@117 with it which to me verifies the claimed power.

Also a proper dyno tune is a lot more than 2hrs of work. I also have HP tuners and do my own tuning on my truck and have made small revisions to my GS. Sure you can hash out a quick WOT tune and set the maf up to compensate for the terrible VE tables but if you are going to properly setup all part throttle tuning and dial in the VE table properly it takes quite a bit of street tuning to dial it in. Plus the above mentioned $100 credit fee. However if shops buy enough credits they do have the option to tune unlimited gen3 trucks, gen3 cars, gen4 trucks or gen4 cars but the unlimited packages are incredibly expensive and that cost has to be made up somewhere.

In my opinion if you think $5-600 is too much for a dynotune you have the option to buy HP tuners which is a fantastic tool and investment and do it yourself. You can do 90% of the tune on the street and then rent a dyno for an hour to set WOT timing and be good to go. This just requires a lot of research and time spend making revisions and learning.
The following 2 users liked this post by truggiero19:
CorvetteBrent (11-02-2018), HPTuners (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by truggiero19
You can do 90% of the tune on the street and then rent a dyno for an hour to set WOT timing and be good to go. This just requires a lot of research and time spend making revisions and learning.
You can do 100% of the tune on the street with a wideband like I did and skip the dyno.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?