C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

You can physically move your shifter to the S position but the paddle shifters do not work. Is that correct?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Sounds like they never adjusted the new cable properly.

It's been working fine for the past 1.5 years or more without a glitch.

Originally Posted by PDsVettes
You can physically move your shifter to the S position but the paddle shifters do not work. Is that correct?
That is correct. Can easily pull the shifter back into S position.. Nothing shows on the DIC either... Used to show the gears.. 2,3,4,5,6.

Can easily move the shifter from PRNDS. No hitches.. Smooth as glass.

Additionally, I reconnected the battery again. No change.

I also pulled that 2 AMP fuse referenced above... and it's OK. It's physically OK and checks out OK with a continuity tester.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Could be that cable stretched that "little bit" in order to cause your problem. Read the posts by Dano523 here. Also good pict here of the shift lever on the tranny.
The following users liked this post:
CWIC (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Could be that cable stretched that "little bit" in order to cause your problem. Read the posts by Dano523 here. Also good pict here of the shift lever on the tranny.

Interesting. As previously posted, I did have a cable issue, and that cable was replaced completely about 1.5 years ago...

Never considered the possibility that the cable might not be moving the selector enough to go "into" S mode.

Thank you for the links.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Update:

I've got the rear of the car in the air.. on jackstands..

I'm 6'4" and 240# so it's tough for me to wiggle under there. However, tomorrow, I have one of my "thinner" friends coming over. He's about 5' 9" and about 135#... He can wiggle under there easily. He was one of the guys who helped me when the cable broke in my garage about 2 years ago...

I'm gonna put the car into S on the gear selector, and he's gonna see if it is truly "popping" in all the way on the transaxle lever...

I wonder too if there is some micro-switch that turns "ON" when the transaxle selector is in S mode?? I'll find out tomorrow. He's coming over at about 11:00 AM...
Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Update:

I've got the rear of the car in the air.. on jackstands..

I'm 6'4" and 240# so it's tough for me to wiggle under there. However, tomorrow, I have one of my "thinner" friends coming over. He's about 5' 9" and about 135#... He can wiggle under there easily. He was one of the guys who helped me when the cable broke in my garage about 2 years ago...

I'm gonna put the car into S on the gear selector, and he's gonna see if it is truly "popping" in all the way on the transaxle lever...

I wonder too if there is some micro-switch that turns "ON" when the transaxle selector is in S mode?? I'll find out tomorrow. He's coming over at about 11:00 AM...

There is a selector signal (PPL wire) that goes to the clock spring as well as the PNK wire from the 2A fuse. The TEHC Module Assembly in the automatic transmission is where the selector signal is sent from, so I don't know if it is accessible. If you can find a connector to the transmission, it should have 16 pins. You can check to assure that pin #7 is OK, not bent, and making good contact. That's all I have
Hopefully, it is just the gear selector not fully getting to the "S" mode.
Good luck

Old 11-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

No luck.

Had the rear in the air supported on jackstands. My buddy crawled under the car. We went through the gears... PRNDS...without starting the engine.

The trans lever was "popping" all the way back to S.

Started the car...Had the DIC visible in the heads up display.

Nothing came up... no shift indicator... no paddle shift.

My bud (wearing mechanics gloves) tried to "force" the lever back further into the S position... Nothing..........

So...........our experiment failed. It's not the cable..

Looks like I'll be calling my Chevy dealer in the near future.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bruze
Sounds like they never adjusted the new cable properly.
Exactly correct. There is a cable adjustment link at the transmission end. It's a simple plastic clip arrangement that allows about 1/8" of length adjustment per step. I don't remember for sure whether you need more or less length, but I'd try less for starters. Assuming the lights on the console closely match the location of the lever, I'd only move the adjustment one notch before taking a test drive. Otherwise, try two notches.
I'm sure someone here can verify the direction you need to get the length correct. It's been 5-6 years since I did mine and I'm also "old".
Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The paddle shifters are **** poor when it comes to their performance anyway.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Check this. Read the posts by Dano523 on how to adjust the cable.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap
I read through my owners manual several times but recently watched this video. Someone recorded the DVD that came with the cars new onto a YouTube video. In the power train section of this video they explain how to get the transmission back into Automatic Shift mode without having to shift it out of Sport mode. I haven't had a chance to try it yet since our car is in winter storage already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWdp2BNOhg&t=1532s
You can skip to the 30 minute mark for the discussion about this.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Check this. Read the posts by Dano523 on how to adjust the cable.
Except for the parts where he says to place the trans lever to a particular position. The problem is finding that exact position, since there are more detents on the trans than on the console shifter. Most likely in the OP's case, was that the dealer who replaced the cable, moved the lever to the limit in one direction, which meant it was overkill for PARK and wouldn't allow enough lever rotation to access SPORT. That can be cured by either popping the cable off the trans lever and moving the trans lever one or two detents and then moving the shift lever to make the cable end match the trans lever before popping the end back in place, or doing the adjustment procedure without removing the cable from the trans lever. Either way you choose to make the adjustment, error toward more length at the PARK position, since that will still allow the shifter lever to engage the switch even if the bushings start to come apart.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by bibbster
You can skip to the 30 minute mark for the discussion about this.
I believe the video was for 2010 or later, since it included GS info. IIRC the shifting software was changed in '10 to allow the feature to hold the + and revert to D. Prior years don't have that capability, unless a friendly dealer would do that software upgrade.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:53 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

subscribed. Hope I don't have to do this one, but my paddles work great on my 08.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When under the car the transmission lever when pushed towards the rear is PARK. To the front all the way is S. Snap the front on and make sure the shifter indicator in the car is in NEUTRAL, 2 clicks on the transmission from the REAR forward is NEUTRAL Snao on, done.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I believe the video was for 2010 or later, since it included GS info. IIRC the shifting software was changed in '10 to allow the feature to hold the + and revert to D. Prior years don't have that capability, unless a friendly dealer would do that software upgrade.
Per my earlier post, that's what I was thinking: That my '07 would not go back into auto without moving the shifter into D.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
When under the car the transmission lever when pushed towards the rear is PARK. To the front all the way is S. Snap the front on and make sure the shifter indicator in the car is in NEUTRAL, 2 clicks on the transmission from the REAR forward is NEUTRAL Snao on, done.
I know it's been several years since I needed to do the adjustment and my memory has occasional lapses. However, I'm pretty sure I felt about 7-9 detents, because it struck me as strange that there were more detents than shifter positions, and all the way either direction didn't let the shifter lever access whatever gear was at the opposite end of the stroke. My problem came after changing the TC and I had to hold a bit of forward pressure on the shifter to start the car. Pretty much like the problem the OP is having, except he can't get into Sport mode. I'm not going to disconnect mine just to check, but the OP could if he tries to make the adjustment following your directions.and then reply with the results. I need to know if it's a memory problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...

Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I replaced my TC this fall and only had 5 positions on the transmission. I also am having some of (only slightly so far) of those memory issues, particularly when the wife is around.

Last edited by 2008 Corvette; 11-16-2018 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:16 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
I replaced my TC this fall and only had 5 positions on the transmission. I also am having some of (only slightly so far) of those memory issues, particularly when the wife is around.
Thank you and I'm going with your most recent results. I've also gone from listening to the wife's version of my memory "problems", to asking her what she remembers. It works as a pre-emptive strike on her recall and gives me the opportunity to agree or dispute.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm bringing this back TTT.

Took the car to my local Chevy dealer on Tuesday morning. Just got a call-back this afternoon, Wednesday.

Car is done............ fixed.........

It was the shift cable. They checked it out electrically, and all was OK. Then, the service writer told me that they really BANGED it back into S... and it started to work. They adjusted the cable.

Trans end? Shifter end? I don't know.

Even though myself and a friend tried this, I guess we weren't rough enough. I'm having a few more things done, so I pick the car up tomorrow...

Thanks to all here for your input. This the the THIRD time I've had an issue with that shifter cable. The car has 35,000 miles on it.

#1...it broke last year. Was able to drive the car to the dealer after jacking it up and putting it in D.

#2..it popped off...right after I drove it home from incident #1. The dealer sent a rollback that time, and fixed it again on their dime.

#3.. this current episode..

Quick Reply: 06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...