C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 PM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts
Default GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE

I took my 2013 GS to my local Chevrolet dealer due to the dreaded fuel smell. After checking it out they found it leaking at the pump. Classic scenario between 1/2-3/4 full and raw fuel puddle on top of tank. Should be no contest it fits the letter we all received with the 10year 120 thousand mile coverage for this issue. NOTTTTTT The tech writes it up and in his opinion this doesn't match the bulletin. They then go to the area rep and ask him for assistance and they offer to let me get the repair that is in the bulletin for just $750.00. What a bargain. Then they also told me to call Chevrolet direct for assistance as that usually gets approval. WRONG The customer assistance rep agreed that what I was saying sounded like it was as described in the letter. She then put me on hold and called my local dealer. Comes back on the phone and said the tech wrote it as not fitting the scenario and that I should take the deal they offered as the area rep was doing a good will offer and I should be thankful for that. we had some more conversation and she said I could take it to another dealer for an additional look at it and see what they would write it up for. This has not gone well and I am going to retrieve my car and just drive it and see what happens. Pretty sad when the repair my dealer claims is required is the same fix we are supposed to be getting AT NO COST to us. I will just leave it parked outdoors now as I don't want it in my attached garage. I will keep it below half a tank. Sad to say a 14k mile vehicle has this issue.
someone should write a book on this and title it "unsafe on any day"

Just an update Castriota Chevrolet in Hudson Fl. inspected my car after the debacle at the other dealer and replaced the fuel module , all in tank lines and crossover tube. No cost to me as they honored the letter that was sent to us from GM. They were very accommodating and kept me informed on everything. Thank you Dan Schifflin assistant service manager. I almost traded it in on a 2017 Grand Sport that they have with 1500 miles on it but I really like mine and don't want to give it up. Thank you for all the comments and support during this posting. The knowledge and sometimes silly banter we share is what makes this forum a great place to enjoy.

Last edited by ontime; 12-15-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: add statement
Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

You need to go to a different dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by ruxvette:
Landru (12-05-2018), ontime (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I agree. Another dealer should fix it under the warranty to earn your business.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:55 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
This ^^^^^^^
Old 12-04-2018, 11:00 PM
abusdriver
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 10 and my dealership fixed it at NO COST, no questions asked! Echo what others here have said (especially since area rep you talked to initially said you qualified based on your description!)...take it to another dealer
Old 12-04-2018, 11:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ontime
I took my 2013 GS to my local Chevrolet dealer due to the dreaded fuel smell. After checking it out they found it leaking at the pump. Classic scenario between 1/2-3/4 full and raw fuel puddle on top of tank. Should be no contest it fits the letter we all received with the 10year 120 thousand mile coverage for this issue. NOTTTTTT The tech writes it up and in his opinion this doesn't match the bulletin. They then go to the area rep and ask him for assistance and they offer to let me get the repair that is in the bulletin for just $750.00. What a bargain. Then they also told me to call Chevrolet direct for assistance as that usually gets approval. WRONG The customer assistance rep agreed that what I was saying sounded like it was as described in the letter. She then put me on hold and called my local dealer. Comes back on the phone and said the tech wrote it as not fitting the scenario and that I should take the deal they offered as the area rep was doing a good will offer and I should be thankful for that. we had some more conversation and she said I could take it to another dealer for an additional look at it and see what they would write it up for. This has not gone well and I am going to retrieve my car and just drive it and see what happens. Pretty sad when the repair my dealer claims is required is the same fix we are supposed to be getting AT NO COST to us. I will just leave it parked outdoors now as I don't want it in my attached garage. I will keep it below half a tank. Sad to say a 14k mile vehicle has this issue.
Could not the tech not read ENGLISH!!..The dealer took my 08 in without even doing the smoke test...They took my word that it was leaking and did the work they get paid by GM for the fix $$$$$ for the dealer.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

GM Customer Assistance goes out of their way to not help you at all! It should be called the GM Apology Line.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I had this done on my 2008 with no issues. I agree with the others, take it to another dealer.

I believe GM warranty work gets billed at a lower rate, rather than walk in customer with a service repair out of warranty. That Stealership was just padding for some profit. I would salute them with my middle finger!
The following users liked this post:
ontime (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Jimang
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is this dealer and what is the name of the dealer? I think that our members should be warned to avoid this dealer. Recently, a member took in his C6 for service and when he picked his car it had 35+ miles on it it was obvious that the car was pushed hard. He got nothing from the service manager but lip service and an excuse that that the car has to get run. I wrote that dealer even though he very close to me
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

It can’t hurt to try another dealer, but I’m going to guess all bridges were burned when the area rep and CS got involved. If the next dealership checks VIS and sees what’s going on, they may not have a choice other than to deny it also.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I had the fuel smell at 92,000 miles the first dealer said my powertrain warranty was void because I had long tube headers. They wanted me to pay $2600 to change the fuel pump.

I went to another dealer who did the work under the powertrain warranty.

Take it to another dealer and never go back to the first dealer. GL.
ontime (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 04:10 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

I have had good luck with the GM assistance... but they always say it depends on the diagnosis... the dealer gets the money either way... like others have said ... go to a different dealer... if you bought it new the selling dealer is the way to go.... good luck
Old 12-05-2018, 06:16 AM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I just purchased a 2013 GS so not the original owner, no fuel smell at 50K miles. Can someone post a copy of the letter as owners other than original owners will not get the letter? Just in case...
TIA
eckseleven (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:25 AM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree. Go to another dealer and take a copy of the letter with you it can't hurt. What was the dealer's name, city and state that denied you, we all want to know?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:27 AM
ontime
Racer

[QUOTE=torchred_lt1;1598446690]I agree. Go to another dealer and take a copy of the letter with you it can't hurt. What was the dealer's name, city and state that denied you, we all want to know?[/QUOT.

Register Chevrolet
Brooksville, Florida
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I also received the letter a year or 2 ago, hope I never need to use it! As the others have said, try another dealer
Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, they are "register-ed" now! On Corvette Forum at least with a lot of Corvette owners in that state. Have you gone to another dealer yet? Of course it's only been a day.

Dunno, but Plant City and one of the biggest-selling (and servicing) Corvette dealers is right there. 60 miles from Brookeville. Hhmmm....?

Last edited by AORoads; 12-05-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE

Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

it would be sad if the car caught on fire ,burned to the ground and you sued them all
Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM
ontime
Racer

well I will be picking up my vette tonight not repaired hope I don't go boom on the way home. I might donate the car to a school and let the new age kids learn on something at least cool looking. I am done with GM and Chevrolet .I wont feel safe in it even if the fuel system was repaired.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I would sure like to hear the reason why the Tech said it did not fit the scenario. You can't even see the crack on the fitting without removing the gas tank, because they are on top of the fuel pump. If the Tech did not actually drop the gas tank and inspect the pump, then he is making stuff up as he goes.

Also, be advised, the fuel sender in the passenger tank failing is another problem that will happen to you sooner or later. I'd strongly suggest you have it replaced while the car is apart, even if you have to pay for it yourself.

You should also get a new fuel sender for the drivers tank when they replace the pump, but make sure, don't let them try to reuse the old one. I'm pretty sure the new pump includes a new sender for the drivers side tank.

Quick Reply: GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE