C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Vette world. I have a question regarding the best choice C6's.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:25 PM
vett_guy
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Default New to the Vette world. I have a question regarding the best choice C6's.

Always dreamed of buying a '69 Convertible but I'm really spoiled by technology so that's out....that and I can't afford a good '69 anyway.

That being said, I would like to know if there's "problem year" cars in the C6 line that I should steer clear of. I want to spent about $20,000 and have seen some "08's in that price range. I wouldn't be against a good, low mileage, "05 to '07 though.

I've never owned a corvette but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I make a purchase. Hell...I've never even driven one yet!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Fill out your profile for your location or at least mention where you're at. You definitely should drive one first, that goes without saying.

the 08 and newer at least has the LS3 so there is that, not that the LS2 is such a terrible engine. I personally would avoid a 4-speed automatic but there's debate on that. That would be the early C6 only.

Here's a local Car on Craigslist within your budget just to give an example.

https://elmira.craigslist.org/cto/d/...756174997.html

Last edited by K-Spaz; 12-29-2018 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vett_guy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 PM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Fill out your profile for your location or at least mention where you're at. You definitely should drive one first, that goes without saying.

the 08 and newer at least has the LS3 so there is that, not that the LS2 is such a terrible engine. I personally would avoid a 4-speed automatic but there's debate on that. That would be the early C6 only.

Here's a local Car on Craigslist within your budget just to give an example.

https://elmira.craigslist.org/cto/d/...756174997.html
Sorry about that...updated location.

Thank you for your reply. Wow...that seems to be a great price compared to anything local I'm seeing.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:17 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

you get what you pay for is usually true with these cars....lots of low mileage examples out there in good shape....not that you can't find a high mile car in good shape but know you will most likely be looking at addressing issues sooner rather than later

jumping on the first "good deal" usually isn't smart....drive several, ask lots of questions and take your time

good luck
vett_guy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:38 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The C6 Corvettes are awesome cars, There really aren't any "problem years" although all C6 years do share some issues. I would say that for 20k, you would be hard pressed to get a 08 or newer car with low miles. The 08 & newer models have the LS3 engine which has more hp/torque than the LS2 in the earlier models although both engines are stout & respond well to mods, good luck with your search
vett_guy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I would suggest not to limit yourself to only looking at "local" cars. That will expand your knowledge as to what is available and how to compare for a deal that you can live with. Take your time and avoid impulse purchasing so you are less likely to settle for something you will wish you hadn't accepted down the road. It is not uncommon for someone to budget for making an out of state purchase for a 'Vette and that is just part of the price of the vehicle. If you look at it like this, you could pay $1000 less for something that you need to fly or take a bus to go pick up. Then enjoy the drive home in something you really wanted. Or you can settle for something local, because it is convenient, and then chase it with mods to get to something you really wanted to begin with. If you search nationally for what you want, you can usually get a forum member local to take a look at it for you. Just hope they are not also looking for a new 'Vette. LoL When I was looking for mine I was infatuated with Night Race Blue, which limited me to '13 and being my second 'Vette I wanted this one to be a GS. I found one in GA with 23k miles, so I bought it and had it shipped to CA, sight unseen. Some people would think I was crazy for buying a car I had never seen before, but with leap of faith and a little patience I got exactly what I wanted.
vett_guy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 08:17 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Should be able to get a 03-04 Z06 within your budget.
vett_guy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:27 AM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by DezVette
I would suggest not to limit yourself to only looking at "local" cars. That will expand your knowledge as to what is available and how to compare for a deal that you can live with. Take your time and avoid impulse purchasing so you are less likely to settle for something you will wish you hadn't accepted down the road. It is not uncommon for someone to budget for making an out of state purchase for a 'Vette and that is just part of the price of the vehicle. If you look at it like this, you could pay $1000 less for something that you need to fly or take a bus to go pick up. Then enjoy the drive home in something you really wanted. Or you can settle for something local, because it is convenient, and then chase it with mods to get to something you really wanted to begin with. If you search nationally for what you want, you can usually get a forum member local to take a look at it for you. Just hope they are not also looking for a new 'Vette. LoL When I was looking for mine I was infatuated with Night Race Blue, which limited me to '13 and being my second 'Vette I wanted this one to be a GS. I found one in GA with 23k miles, so I bought it and had it shipped to CA, sight unseen. Some people would think I was crazy for buying a car I had never seen before, but with leap of faith and a little patience I got exactly what I wanted.
Thank you all for your replies.

DezVette, What publications would you suggest for my nationwide search? I've used Listing all cars, AutoTempest and (GHASP) Ebay. Are there others I may be overlooking?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by jimijam
Should be able to get a 03-04 Z06 within your budget.
But wouldn't the 03-04 Z06 have the same HP and price as the base C6? Also...they're all hard tops if I'm not mistaken, right?

Last edited by vett_guy; 12-30-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:36 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by vett_guy
Thank you all for your replies!

DezVette...what suggestions do you have, if any, for where to look for out of state cars? Other than Ebay...not sure that's a good choice, I've used Autotempest.com and Listing All Cars.
try these...… www.cargurus.com www.autotrader.com www.cars.com use the widest search area possible to see all for sale
vett_guy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:38 AM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by rkj427
try these...… www.cargurus.com www.autotrader.com www.cars.com use the widest search area possible to see all for sale
Thank you very much!
Old 12-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

OP, You mentioned a '69 was out of the question because of your technology addiction... The C6 series are fantastic cars, but they are not as advanced as some cars in the driver/technology interface department. I'd identify what specific technologies are must-haves for you, and make sure the cars you are considering are equipped to meet your expectations. For example, Bluetooth wasn't offered until 2009.
vett_guy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:22 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
OP, You mentioned a '69 was out of the question because of your technology addiction... The C6 series are fantastic cars, but they are not as advanced as some cars in the driver/technology interface department. I'd identify what specific technologies are must-haves for you, and make sure the cars you are considering are equipped to meet your expectations. For example, Bluetooth wasn't offered until 2009.
To add to that, bluetooth audio wasnt ever an option, it can be added though via aftermarket devices. No c6 has an OEM backup camera or parking sensors. You dont ger cooled seats, adaptive cruise control, and the voice commands are pretty poor imo.

Outside of that drive them and see what you like. The best corvette is the one you bought, and the worst is the one you dream about because you dont have one yet.
vett_guy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:27 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

For your budget I would look for a low mileage 07 or a higher mileage 08. Just remember that milage alone does not make a car a good buy. A low mileage C6 that was only driven hard for fun could have more potential problems than a higher mileage daily driver.

Suggest you hire a experienced pre purchase inspector to check out the car you are thinking about.
vett_guy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Keep in mind that this time of year makes pricing lower in cold areas and higher Vette presences in warm areas means a larger selection is available. My personal opinion is to avoid anything with less than 3K miles per year or more than 2 owners or any owner who lives/lived within 50 miles of an ocean or flood zone.
When searching, get the VIN and check the service history at your local Chevy dealer. If that checks out OK, then run a Carfax report.

Best of luck to you. Take your time and you'll be happy with whatever you buy.
vett_guy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:30 PM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
I would be adding a Pioneer head unit to any new vehicle I purchase but by "technology" I just meant the overall advances made from 1969 to the mid 2000's vehicles, and it's just not in my budget to get a nice frame off total restoration.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:43 PM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by wayback
For your budget I would look for a low mileage 07 or a higher mileage 08. Just remember that milage alone does not make a car a good buy. A low mileage C6 that was only driven hard for fun could have more potential problems than a higher mileage daily driver.

Suggest you hire a experienced pre purchase inspector to check out the car you are thinking about.
I've never heard of such a thing! I mean other than my local dealership doing the inspection. I would imagine this inspector goes to the car or do you mean take it to the dealership for an inspection?

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Keep in mind that this time of year makes pricing lower in cold areas and higher Vette presences in warm areas means a larger selection is available. My personal opinion is to avoid anything with less than 3K miles per year or more than 2 owners or any owner who lives/lived within 50 miles of an ocean or flood zone.
When searching, get the VIN and check the service history at your local Chevy dealer. If that checks out OK, then run a Carfax report.

Best of luck to you. Take your time and you'll be happy with whatever you buy.
That's sound advice. Thank you so much!

Get notified of new replies

To New to the Vette world. I have a question regarding the best choice C6's.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Zedred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Vett guy you may want to get in touch with your local corvette club they should be able to recommend good corvette techs, and may have leads
on good C6's for sale, most vette people are happy to help and have good advice on who to do business with and who to avoid.
vett_guy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 PM
vett_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by Zedred
Vett guy you may want to get in touch with your local corvette club they should be able to recommend good corvette techs, and may have leads
on good C6's for sale, most vette people are happy to help and have good advice on who to do business with and who to avoid.
That's a great idea...thank you!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like you got all the major nation wide search engines. You can also look at the C6 Corvettes For Sale section here on the forums and make a WTB thread. The more detailed in what you are looking for, there will usually be a couple people there flooding the thread with listings they find that match, or are close to what you are wanting. Most of which you will have already seen on Autotrader and Autotempest, but occasionally they will point you towards something that may have slipped past you. When using those national search engines, do not put a max distance, just sort by distance and they will show "convenient" cars first, but will not be limited to "local" cars. This will give you an idea of what you are looking for is listing for to make sure you are not getting hosed when you finally find something you are interested in. I would also echo the suggestion on getting a pre-purchase inspection if you are going a great distance to buy. There are companies who will do this for you at a cost of about $100-200 depending on location. The closer to a major metropolitan area, the lower the price as most charge a per-mile fee on how far they have to drive to inspect the vehicle. They will kick the tires, do a test drive, and take lots of pictures to go along with a detailed inspection report on their opinion of the car and it's potential appraised value. This is helpful in also judging if the vehicle is worth the asking price. Another option is, depending on how active the area you live in, the regional forums sometimes have local events and gatherings of 'Vette owners. Take a drive over there and pick their brains and get to know the locals. This could lead you to a possible local sale that is word-of-mouth and not to be found on any search engines.
vett_guy (12-30-2018)

Quick Reply: New to the Vette world. I have a question regarding the best choice C6's.