C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caught in a snow storm... with summer only tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr

High performance cars use high performance tires. High performance tires have absolutely nothing in common with all season tires.
yes, but for what conceivable purpose? We're driving on the street. Not on a skid pad.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
yes, but for what conceivable purpose? We're driving on the street. Not on a skid pad.
For the same reason you can’t drive a 200 mph car on the street 200 mph. Why do they even make that car.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad you made it home safe! A few times a year I'll turn off the nannies when the roads are snowy (my DD is rear drive) and remind myself why they work so well! And why I leave them on...

About 25 years ago in April I drove my then sports car a 944turbo to work and had a surprise snowstorm about 6 inches. Had to drive 30 miles on summer tires, no traction/stability back then. But much narrower tires 205/225 and 30mph and made it OK.

For 11 years I daily drove a S2000 year round. Winter tires of course and it was OK, never stuck but often was had to slow down in snow/slush conditions as the car was so light it would hydroplane . Sometimes an adventure.

I so get trying to get momentum to make it up the driveway!!!

The Corvette gets parked once the white stuff starts flying.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:01 PM
mkitt27
Racer

We refer to "all-season" tires as "no season" tires around here. Meaning while they don't suck in any season they also don't do well in any season. On my DD 3 series I run super sports in the summer and winter tires in the winter. Best of both worlds. I like the feel, steering response, and grip of summer tires even on the street. All season a bit more sluggish - not bad, just not as good. Even for winter tires, I get the "performance" winter tires, not the ice tires that have the spongy rubber. Is it overkill? Yes, but we all do a lot of things we want that aren't needs. like owning a Corvette .

Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saplumr

For the same reason you can’t drive a 200 mph car on the street 200 mph. Why do they even make that car.
......because it's fun to drive, handles great, accelerates hard, can go to the track, looks great, and steers with the gas pedal. Don't need summer tires for any of that. But if you wanna do to the track, why not? On the street, not really.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:20 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mkitt27
We refer to "all-season" tires as "no season" tires around here. Meaning while they don't suck in any season they also don't do well in any season. On my DD 3 series I run super sports in the summer and winter tires in the winter. Best of both worlds. I like the feel, steering response, and grip of summer tires even on the street. All season a bit more sluggish - not bad, just not as good. Even for winter tires, I get the "performance" winter tires, not the ice tires that have the spongy rubber. Is it overkill? Yes, but we all do a lot of things we want that aren't needs. like owning a Corvette .
well if you like the "feel", that makes sense. Acceptable reason,

I am not sure I push cars that hard to "feel" it, I do with my motorcycles though (sport touring type tires same as OEM). Understand that. I have those Mich All Seasons on mine and I like the "feel" just fine.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Ha, yes, "all season" tires are pretty much a joke around here in the winter. If you only have 2WdD you better get snows or you'll be sorry. And what a PITA changing them twice a year. One truck I had I could NOT find extra rims for it so I had to get them mounted and demounted every year.

As I got older I got tired of fighting tire changes so I bought my first 4WD truck in '06 and never looked back. We're expecting 1-2 feet this weekend. Imma hit the local watering hole Saturday afternoon then hole up til Monday.

Two good football games Sunday!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:05 PM
mkitt27
Racer

I still enjoy the tire swaps, a respite to working too many hours in a desk job. I'm hoping for a snowstorm here in MN so I can go snowmobiling and skiing. All we have is 1" that we got today.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

I still enjoy the tire swaps, a respite to working too many hours in a desk job. I'm hoping for a snowstorm here in MN so I can go snowmobiling and skiing. All we have is 1" that we got today.
I live just over the hill from a ski resort -- and the "watering hole" I mentioned previously is a bar just down the road from it. Lotsa ski talk around there this time of year -- the hill has up to a 42" base and with 1-2 feet of natural snow coming this weekend the skiers will be going crazy.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:45 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

well if you like the "feel", that makes sense. Acceptable reason,

I am not sure I push cars that hard to "feel" it, I do with my motorcycles though (sport touring type tires same as OEM). Understand that. I have those Mich All Seasons on mine and I like the "feel" just fine.
I've you're using sport touring tires on a MC you aren't pushing very hard. They are just like all season tires, OK all round but not good at anything. I tried one set of sport touring tires on my bike because I was tired of replacing super sport tires every 2,000 miles. The sport touring tires got hot and greasy and slid around. I could paint black lines out of corners with them but I feel much more comfortable on a tire that sticks! I burned them up just as fast because of all the sliding around. For the same reason, I want high performance summer tires on the Vette. I want as much stick as possible in the mountains. Sure, I can drive with the right pedal with any of them but having a nice solid planted feeling is much more confortable than something that's sliding all over the place.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:41 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I've you're using sport touring tires on a MC you aren't pushing very hard. They are just like all season tires, OK all round but not good at anything. I tried one set of sport touring tires on my bike because I was tired of replacing super sport tires every 2,000 miles. The sport touring tires got hot and greasy and slid around. I could paint black lines out of corners with them but I feel much more comfortable on a tire that sticks! I burned them up just as fast because of all the sliding around. For the same reason, I want high performance summer tires on the Vette. I want as much stick as possible in the mountains. Sure, I can drive with the right pedal with any of them but having a nice solid planted feeling is much more confortable than something that's sliding all over the place.
Sorta of an ignorant assumption on your part since you have no idea what bike I am riding. I am not riding a GSXr. Although I keep up many of them. I was petty clear I was sport touring, not full on Sport.

If you're riding on the edge where summer tires makes a difference whether you crash or not on those blind mountain roads, whether bike or 'vette, let me know, so I ain't on your road.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

While the Vette snoozes the winter away, I headed to town today in the truck to get groceries for my elderly neighbors. Glad I have 4WD:

Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

[Villain voice] Bwah, Ha, Hah! I spit on you all! [/Villain voice]

Old 01-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by owc6
[Villain voice] Bwah, Ha, Hah! I spit on you all! [/Villain voice]

Aha, but Mrs. Ow, you were obviously in or near civilization. Survival would be much easier there.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

This same car went over the Rockies in a Blizzard. On OEM tires. Cheyanne to SLC. Not much civilization there.

I definitely don't recommend. Scary! It was a freak blizzard the first week of Nov. 2006.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by owc6
This same car went over the Rockies in a Blizzard. On OEM tires. Cheyanne to SLC. Not much civilization there.

I definitely don't recommend. Scary! It was a freak blizzard the first week of Nov. 2006.

I left my 4WD engaged all the way to town and back today, about 10 miles total, most of it paved roads. I hardly EVER do that.

Last edited by Bruze; 01-19-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:43 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Got caught in a surprise storm in Amarillo, TX two years ago in late April. Driving in on Rt 40 and the sleet and hail started. Put in at the Hampton Inn by the Big Texan for the night. Next morning started the car, put on the defroster and 45 minutes later the three inches of snow had melted off from the convertible top and the hood. The first 18 miles West on Rt 40 was over hard packed snow and ice. Took over an hour and a half in stop and go traffic. Then the road cleared up and we continued on to Santa Fe, NM. Must say although it was not comfortable the car never slipped a wheel on the hard packed surface of snow and ice.

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 01-20-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Caught in a snow storm... with summer only tires