C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headed to the dragon April 28 thru May 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 PM
WI Badger in OBX
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headed to the dragon April 28 thru May 5

My wife and I are taking our first Corvette cruise around Gatlinburg and Tail of the Dragon April 28 through May 5. We have family in the area we visit a lot but first trip in the Vette and first trip to the Dragon. Looking for any suggestions on places to visit or eat at. Planning a day trip to Dollywood too with friends. Are there any Vette cruises going on around this time too? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Drive the entire Cherohola Skyway along with the Dragon and stop in at Bald Mountain Falls. Absolutely gorgeous.
The following users liked this post:
WI Badger in OBX (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:25 PM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget Rt 441 from Gatlinburg,TN to Cherokee,NC.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:04 PM
ejbrace
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 23 Posts

Great place for breakfast. The thick pancakes are delicious. https://crockettsbreakfastcamp.com/
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 PM
Fletch F. Fletch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WI Badger in OBX
My wife and I are taking our first Corvette cruise around Gatlinburg and Tail of the Dragon April 28 through May 5. We have family in the area we visit a lot but first trip in the Vette and first trip to the Dragon. Looking for any suggestions on places to visit or eat at. Planning a day trip to Dollywood too with friends. Are there any Vette cruises going on around this time too? Thanks!
Oh, yes, there will be plenty of action in and around the Dragon at that time of year. Spring fever will have hit and people will be out and about. If at all possible, avoid Saturdays and Sundays.

Here's a link that will give you an idea of the events that were happening around those times in 2018. I imagine they will begin to change this page for 2019 as spring gets closer.

https://tailofthedragon.com/events/

Definitely run the Moonshiner 28, at least the section from the Dragon to Franklin NC -- a fantastic set of twisties once you leave the 4 lane.

Dry Falls is only 10-15 minutes outside of Franklin on the way to Highlands NC. Dry Falls is a big waterfall you walk behind -- it is cool.

X2 on the Cherohala Skyway.

Tapoco Lodge is a beautiful setting for lunch or dinner. It's just 5 min down the hill from Deals Gap/Dragon.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Drive the entire Cherohola Skyway along with the Dragon and stop in at Bald Mountain Falls. Absolutely gorgeous.
the Skyway is a road for Corvettes while the Dragon is for motorcycles.

From Tenn follow the Dragon to Deal's Gap. Small cafe there. Then take 28 to Franklin NC, good diner there. Follow on down past the two waterfalls to Highland.

Most folks eat at the diner at Franklin. Highland is fancy, prolly some nice places there. But it's a great route. Perhaps it's better to take the Skyline and head back to Deal's in car?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a route that we do with a local group here in Knoxville. Covers all the favorites around the Dragon. Your going at a great time of year because the traffic gets pretty crazy as summer approaches.

Poker Run Route Copy and Paste

https://www.google.com/maps?t=m&ll=3...lassic&dg=ntvo
The following 2 users liked this post by Knoxrower:
Fletch F. Fletch (01-21-2019), WI Badger in OBX (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

Just watch out for LEO and avoid the weekends, that's when they are especially active on the Dragon.

There are an unbelievable number of great roads in the area. The ones without names and websites are better IMHO because they attract a lot less attention.

Lots of side of the road BBQ joints that are great eating. You probably won't find any hazy New England style IPA's to wash it down but I prefer to save the drinking for after the drivings done.

Check out the Southeast regional forum for more info.
WI Badger in OBX (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM
B-Squared
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife and I went in October in our first Vette road trip. Weekdays were absolutely awesome, very few others on the roads, always wanted to take the cycle but didn’t want to ride that far. Certainly was the most fun with clothes on that I can remember.
Enjoy
WI Badger in OBX (01-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Headed to the dragon April 28 thru May 5

Quick Reply: Headed to the dragon April 28 thru May 5