C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barrett Jackson Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I would just about guarantee that if a 20 something was taken for a ride in an original 1967 Big Block 427 Corvette that when they got done they would say something like..."Boy...that thing is a rough riding noisy piece of crap !!!".........
That's because they are rough riding noisy pieces of crap. So are vipers. The BBC vette's are still incredibly fun to drive, are very cool and I'd love to own one, but honestly that's besides the point. The cars from the sixties are so popular now because the people that grew up with them, would modify them, would race them with their friends in high school can now afford them and do so to get that sense of nostalgia. I am 22, and while I respect most cars pre oil-crisis, I do not lust after them like I do many cars made in the '90's and '00's, which is why I'm on this forum with my dream car (an '08Z) and other cars I look forward to are cars such as vipers, GTR's, and (gated shifter of course) R8's. It really has nothing to do with how nice the car is (see bankruptcy era Chrysler interior of a mid '00's viper), but rather the emotions they elicit based on my memories growing up.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I will throw my .02 into this discussion. I have "toy" cars ranging from a 68 Caprice to a 13 GS but they all have one thing in common, they are all built to use. I love the 60s era styling, but drum brakes and bias ply tires ? Not so much. I would love an original midyear, but would I drive it anywhere but shows ? Probably not, while a restomod is useable as a DD if you are so inclined.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:32 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Love the 60's cars, grew up with them. No way in hell I would pay those prices, even if $$$ was no object. Cars in the last 10 years are the best ever built, period.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Ron Sjostrom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought our 1st Corvette summer of 2018 a 1995 with 28,900 miles. Wife and I are moving away from Harley Davidson and touring. It is a convertible and what a pleasant surprise of feeling the road, wind, field smells, and friendly wave of the farmer on the back roads.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron Sjostrom:
capevettes (01-21-2019), Steel City (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 AM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
The moderators mentioned that the younger generation buyers don't appreciate a stock car like the baby boomers do. Are we coming to the end of an era here? The kids want a Honda/Miata/GTI,WRX more than a classic Corvette?
I personally LOVE the C2. I'd say its the best body style followed closely by the C6 widebody or C5z. I grew up loving cars of the late 90s early 2000s so I guess that explains my position on the C5s & C6s. I was born in late 80s, not all of us only like the "latest and greatest." I actually came from a GTI and loved that car but its completely different than a vette. There are ALOT of things that the GTI does better than a vette, but theres a couple areas it doesn't even come close.

I think it may be more that the preppie millennials are spoiled brats....LOL. They want a sports car, but then they also want A/C.....cruise control.....studio perfect stereos.....butt warming seats......gps.......multiple usb ports......techno this....techno that......etc.....etc. I would just about guarantee that if a 20 something was taken for a ride in an original 1967 Big Block 427 Corvette that when they got done they would say something like..."Boy...that thing is a rough riding noisy piece of crap !!!".........
There's nothing wrong with wanting a modern car with some features. Why settle if you can get all those features plus power? The STI does what it does really well. I'm not threatened by modern cars, but seems like you might be.

Originally Posted by RichKiss
A lot of truth to this. My almost 21 year old son thinks my 08 is a piece of junk because its old and the technology is outdated. Millennial kids want the next best and newest thing no matter the cost. I bet future cars are gonna be like phones. They will get updated software which will make cars slower and not work as good so you will have to buy new. Kids fall for this crap.
There's no denying the C6 is a dated chassis. Even when it was the current gen it was behind the times. The interior is woeful, the features / tech is dated (why does a 2013 have the same nav as a 2005?). If a younger kid doesn't understand the vette appeal, maybe they're not into cars? Maybe they want something easier to live with?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Sjostrom
Bought our 1st Corvette summer of 2018 a 1995 with 28,900 miles. Wife and I are moving away from Harley Davidson and touring. It is a convertible and what a pleasant surprise of feeling the road, wind, field smells, and friendly wave of the farmer on the back roads.
Heck....i'm in the mid 60's zone (LOL) and still got both. Had a Corvette and a bike for almost 50 years (Harley for the last 20) and don't ever plan on getting rid of either one until I can't operate the controls anymore. They are two completely different riding experiences to be sure, but both great fun. Enjoy your vert.......
Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by capevettes
I agree that the younger buyers don't appreciate the older Vettes but its not them buying the $300,000 resto modded solid axles and mid years. It's older guys with money who still love the looks of the classic Vettes that want the modern engineering. They are definitely bringing more money than perfectly restored or nice, original cars. I just don't like real nice, original cars being hacked up. Basket case cars make more suitable candidtaes IMO.
Well said and I should have expressed that fact more in my post. I can see that it didn't take long for the millennials to go on the attack !!.....lOL.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...suspect the alcohol-infused bidding drives up the prices !
Probably quite accurate also.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 AM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Those resto modded C1/C2 Corvettes that sold @ 200K+ were top of the line builds.
The hours involved creating those cars are unreal. Automotive works of art.
The problem is they're show cars that aren't driven.
The C1 followed by the C2 are classics.
The C6 in my opinion has that classic body style.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:20 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

prior to my 'vette purchase in jan / 2017, my internal debate was between a chrome bumper C3, or a 2008+ C6.
the C3 is still my favorite, but for the $$$ I had to spend, I couldn't justify getting a C3. most in my range, still needed
some, to a lot of work. if and when I get to a more comfortable money situation, then the C3 might fit.
as for the restomods, while most seem to be done at an excellent level, no way I can or justify the money.
I saw on the same auction a '72 ( I think ), chevy long bed 4x4. it was gorgeous, but if I remember correctly, sold in the mid
$150k+. no way someone is going muddin' in that. as is the case with most of the restomods.
if I'm looking for art, it's going on the wall. It may only be two dimensional, but no way I'm spending 6 figures just to stare at it.
I do take care of my ride, but it is going to get used up ( not so much abused, but I got to her run! ).
as always, if it your $$$, then do with it as you wish!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

John Stalluppi (Cars of Dreams Museum) is always buying and sometimes selling to add to his 140 or so private collection. He tends to bid on every car, so he has a lot to do with the prices going likely higher than they should. There is many You Tube video of his museum "Cars of Dreams"

https://johnstaluppi.com/john-staluppi-cars.html

Old 01-21-2019, 03:12 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
prior to my 'vette purchase in jan / 2017, my internal debate was between a chrome bumper C3, or a 2008+ C6.
the C3 is still my favorite, but for the $$$ I had to spend, I couldn't justify getting a C3. most in my range, still needed
some, to a lot of work. if and when I get to a more comfortable money situation, then the C3 might fit.
as for the restomods, while most seem to be done at an excellent level, no way I can or justify the money.
I saw on the same auction a '72 ( I think ), chevy long bed 4x4. it was gorgeous, but if I remember correctly, sold in the mid
$150k+. no way someone is going muddin' in that. as is the case with most of the restomods.
if I'm looking for art, it's going on the wall. It may only be two dimensional, but no way I'm spending 6 figures just to stare at it.
I do take care of my ride, but it is going to get used up ( not so much abused, but I got to her run! ).
as always, if it your $$$, then do with it as you wish!
The thing with BJ is it started out as an auction house for rare collectible cars. It attracted those car collectors who view their car collections as something different than practical use cars. Look at Jay Leno's collection. One man owns 136 cars. They far more fit the definition of art, like the wall art and not so much cars anymore.

The problem with BJ is that, over the years, it has morphed into this colossal 3 ring circus attracting every car enthusiast with even a fleeting interest in cars. Other than Friday night and Saturday, BJ is nothing more than a local yocal car lot auctioning everything from junk to used cars that people don't want to fight trading in on their next car.

Because it made TV (which it never should have done), it is watched by millions, many of whom find it insulting anyone could lay down six or seven figures in cash to buy "a car". Cars like the really well done restomods aren't destined for the daily roads. And if you asked the builders, they would probably say they built it to show their build talents, not necessarily make money. Just the credential to offer your build is in so and so's collection. They also use these builds to generate more build business, just like lawyers take high profile cases for nothing but the public recognition to generate more paying clients.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

It wasn't just the Corvettes, it was all the restomod cars. The hosts kept commenting on how they have been seeing a rising trend with buyers wanting classic looks but to have modern capabilities like braking and horsepower. Who can blame them.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bingo002
That's because they are rough riding noisy pieces of crap. So are vipers. The BBC vette's are still incredibly fun to drive, are very cool and I'd love to own one, but honestly that's besides the point. The cars from the sixties are so popular now because the people that grew up with them, would modify them, would race them with their friends in high school can now afford them and do so to get that sense of nostalgia. I am 22, and while I respect most cars pre oil-crisis, I do not lust after them like I do many cars made in the '90's and '00's, which is why I'm on this forum with my dream car (an '08Z) and other cars I look forward to are cars such as vipers, GTR's, and (gated shifter of course) R8's. It really has nothing to do with how nice the car is (see bankruptcy era Chrysler interior of a mid '00's viper), but rather the emotions they elicit based on my memories growing up.
LOL.....At 22 years old I don't doubt at all that you don't lust after older cars....heck, they don't have any USB ports or pockets to put your phone in.....LOLOL. And as far as old Vettes being a piece of crap.....Rough riding ??....absolutely........noisy??.....abso lutely......but pieces of crap??....absolutely not....at least no more than these newer ones that have so much techno crap on them that there is an almost guarantee that one of....if not several of the techno items in these newer cars will go South at any given time. Our beloved C-6's are a testament to that with all the little idiosyncrasies that plague them.......
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

LOL.....At 22 years old I don't doubt at all that you don't lust after older cars....heck, they don't have any USB ports or pockets to put your phone in.....LOLOL. And as far as old Vettes being a piece of crap.....Rough riding ??....absolutely........noisy??.....abso lutely......but pieces of crap??....absolutely not....at least no more than these newer ones that have so much techno crap on them that there is an almost guarantee that one of....if not several of the techno items in these newer cars will go South at any given time. Our beloved C-6's are a testament to that with all the little idiosyncrasies that plague them.......
Did you read what I wrote at all? Ya their not having wireless charging and automated braking really kills it for me. That's the reason I was describing. As for them being pieces of crap? Look at it objectively. The panel gaps are absurd, everything rattles, the chassis dynamics are laughable, I could go on. They are COOL, that's it.
But you're right, just complain about a lack of car culture in the younger crowds while disrespecting their preferences. That's how to keep it alive.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:36 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Restos will one day return to the bottom of the heap, and unmolested models will return to the top. It’s simply the nature of the collectors market and cycle of investment monies.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

regardless of the preferences of new vs. old, I've got to believe in the near future ( maybe our lifetime? ),
any internal combustion engine will obsolete. I do remember in grade school, (Mid-'70's) hearing about the gas crisis.
I was thinking that the time I got to driving age, their wouldn't even be a gas left. well, here we are 40 years later still
kicking it with factory 700hp+ vehicles. does it really matter with side you're on? the clock is not in our favor on this.
while I'm hoping to never owning a hybrid, I do love seeing them on the road. the gas that they are saving, is a little be more
for me ( us ). most of the current generation I feel do not really care if the current or older cars die out. they are living with a different exposure then when I was their age. with the advent of the PCM / ECM's, their had to be big drop if home repairs.
gone are the days of gapping plugs, setting dwell & gap on the distributor. adjusting a carb. these were once considered the
basics to being a shade tree mechanic. now a days, when was the last time you changed a tire?
may have gotten off topic a bit ( sorry, that's what happens when I should be working instead ).

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett Jackson Corvettes

Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingo002
Truthfully, most of the cars from that era were crap. And when they lost their horsepower and speed during the '70s, we found how really lousy they were. The GM cars were a little better, try driving a MOPAR of that era, those things wandered all over the road and handled like pigs. The car companies fought the safety rules, EPA and gas mileage. The imports came in and took over. And those cars were nothing special either but they were rationally affordable, reliable and got a little better mileage. If the car companies had spent a little more on R&D and improving their products, rather than fighting the inevitable, we'd probably have had good cars 20 years sooner and the imports wouldn't own 2/3 of the market.

Even today the Domestics are giving up on the car business, are losing the crossover market and going all-in on trucks.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I think that most kids today don't care about older cars being original. Just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:23 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I would agree with that. they may be spoiled with anything newer than early 2000's, being of decent build quality.
anything from the 50's, 60's and especially 70's & 80', was a crap shoot at best.
my first car '64 olds cutlass ( bought '80 ), was a great car. I taught me the basics in repair and maintenance.
all cars from before computers, taught you how to reason out any problems. you developed a sense of what the issues may be.
newer cars with computers bypass this education. while extremely helpful you tend be at the mercy of a code reader to ascertain any problems.
combine the generation ( people ) with older generation cars, and let the fun begin!
I can't even get either of my daughters to drive a manual trans. although my older daughter ( 22 yr ) does love a '57 chevy!
she would actually love to have something from the early '60's too!
maybe their is still some hope(?)

Quick Reply: Barrett Jackson Corvettes