C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 AM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C6 windshield replacement?

I have a 2006 base vette. I bought it in October and had a few chips fixed by safelite. I’m still not sure the windshield looks good and my deductible is 100. Is it worth it to get the windshield replaced? The 100 is no big deal, but will my insurance eventually go up? Opinions
Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Barndog Buddha
Instructor

Location: Gurnee IL. so close to Wisc. I can smell it when they cut the cheese
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My last vette had chip that started to crack insurance replace no questions asked and rates did not go up. Not sure they will replace based on looks.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:37 AM
I B Old
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Insurance will replace your windshield if it is dangerous. Such as sand blasted or chips in your line of vision but not just because you don’t like it. Your premium should not increase but that depends on your company’s policy. Call your agent and ask.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:34 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by I B Old
Insurance will replace your windshield if it is dangerous. Such as sand blasted or chips in your line of vision but not just because you don’t like it. Your premium should not increase but that depends on your company’s policy. Call your agent and ask.
Wrong. They will replace it if you are not satisfied. Just tell them you want it replaced. Your rates will not go up either. Falls under comp which is a no fault insurance.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 PM
YzC6
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Replacement

In the state of WA, if the chip/crack etc is in the line of vision of the driver, the windshield must be replaced, not fixed.

you can check your local regulations.

goid luck.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:45 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by YzC6
In the state of WA, if the chip/crack etc is in the line of vision of the driver, the windshield must be replaced, not fixed.

you can check your local regulations.

goid luck.
This is industry standard.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 PM
tdog11
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

RichKiss is spot on.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:26 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

if you have a heads up display you need factory glass, very good chance of getting a ghost image of the display with a non factory windshield.
The following users liked this post:
SCcues (02-19-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:30 PM
Fletch F. Fletch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquarian
if you have a heads up display you need factory glass, very good chance of getting a ghost image of the display with a non factory windshield.
Interesting -- thanks for sharing that info. Why is that? What is different / special about the factory glass?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquarian
This is absolutely not true.

Whether there is a GM marking on the glass or not, as long as the it is HUD glass, you will be fine.

Heck, I'm not even sure you can even get a GM HUD windshield at this point for a C6, unless you find one in a junkyard.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Fletch F. Fletch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
This is absolutely not true.

Whether there is a GM marking on the glass or not, as long as the it is HUD glass, you will be fine.

Heck, I'm not even sure you can even get a GM HUD windshield at this point for a C6, unless you find one in a junkyard.
I'm a little confused on your second sentence. Are you saying as long as it is HUD glass? If so, what is HUD glass? I always thought glass was just glass -- never knew there was such thing as HUD glass.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

they sell GM C6 HUD factory glass every day
Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
they sell GM C6 HUD factory glass every day
Where? GM has never made glass for a C6. They buy it from suppliers just like Safelite and all the other glass repair shops. The factory glass in my C6 that I bought new was manufactured by AGC Automotive (APTechnoglass). Since 2014 Safelite has been manufacturing the same glass. https://www.safelite.com/about-safel...ss-windshields

The OP just needs the proper glass for a C6 with HUD from a reputable supplier. Also the glass for OnStar is different I believe because there is a GPS and a non-GPS version. Insurance will not go up nor should there be any deductible if the company covers it. Ah... there's the rub. If it is just that you don't like the looks then it won't be covered. It needs to be a safety issue the definition of which is up to the particular person who makes the decision.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 02-01-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry should have been more specific... the possibility of getting a ghost image is from using "non HUD" glass...its in the manufacturing process and a lesser quality version will have diffraction of the image giving it a double effect....just sayin' ask the vendor before buying or replacing.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

the APT factory installed glass is available at any GM dealership
Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
the APT factory installed glass is available at any GM dealership
And the same glass from the same factory is available from a dozen other places at a far lower cost. And, unlike a dealership, it will be installed by someone who specializes in and has plenty of practice installing automotive glass. But if there is something magical about dealerships, a Ford dealer would probably be just as competent as a GM dealer and the price would probably be the same for the same piece of glass and, in many instances .exactly the same piececoming from the same distributer. No dealership is going to stock all the different types of glass needed for all the cars that might come in. They may very likely just call Safelite to have a piece delivered if not just sublet the entire job to them and then tack on a surcharge.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I need to replace a windshield with HUD. What is the difference in a HUD windshield, and a windshield without? I have been told that there is a reflective film between layers of glass. Is that accurate?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:14 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I was quoted $400 for standard glass an $700 for HUD glass. Yes there is a reflective film where the display projects.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Aggie76
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to have mine replaced two years ago due to a rock chip. I'm with USAA and had Safelite handle the replacement with HUD glass with no issues at all. Had them do our Yukon XL with HUD& Auto Wipers twice due to chips and a large crack. Again, no issues so I totally agree with others. Just make sure they know you've got a HUD so they use the right one.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 windshield replacement?

Quick Reply: C6 windshield replacement?