C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery dead car locked how do i get in

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by paldogy
Battery is dead, windows up , how do I get in to open the hood?
Two years, it is a convertible and I do not have a key nor is there a pull lever in the trunk. Luckily the drivers window was down and I was able to reach the hood lever
Wut?
The following users liked this post:
I B Old (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Barspin
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

up yours I bought the car used and there is no key. I will make an effort to get one
You don't have a key inside the FOB?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:27 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Barspin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0
If his car is older then a 08, it's a different fob that doesn't store the key inside. I found that the newer fobs are very flimsy. There is a little metal clip that holds the key. The clip can fail, and the key falls out. That's what happened to me recently. I had to have a new one cut at the dealer.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Two years, it is a convertible and I do not have a key nor is there a pull lever in the trunk. Luckily the drivers window was down and I was able to reach the hood lever
What year is your vette? Or, which style of fob to you have (left pic or right pic)

Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I believe he has an 06 so separate key.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:37 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I believe he has an 06 so separate key.
If he doesn't have a key at all, he'll have to go to a Chevy dealer with proof of ownership, and the vin number to get a new one cut.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Battery is dead, windows up , how do I get in to open the hood?
What year is your car? 2005 to 2007 used a separate key attached to the fob. If you don't have the key/s go to the dealer with your vin and ID to get a couple cut as others have suggested. 2008 and up (C6) have a hidden key in the fob. Also you need to read the manual. You'll find the info handy.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:22 AM
paldogy
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default battery dead car locked how do i get in

Thanks for the advice about getting a key made. I have read the manual several times might have missed that part. For the smart a-- who wanted me to read the manual, tell me how to do it when the car is locked and the manual is in the glove box
Old 02-21-2019, 07:30 AM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While I do love parts of modern day technology i.e. the additional horsepower, creature comforts, etc., I really, really miss some of the simple things in life; like the good old fashioned key
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 AM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Barspin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0
Good vid Barspin; and one of the modern day tech tools that I do love: Youtube!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks for the advice about getting a key made. I have read the manual several times might have missed that part. For the smart a-- who wanted me to read the manual, tell me how to do it when the car is locked and the manual is in the glove box
All of the owner's manuals can be found online as GM provides them. Here is one for 2006:

2006 Owner's manual
Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

This whole thing reads like the rednecks who died in the bed of their pickup when it went into the lake, all because they couldn't get the tailgate down.....
Old 02-21-2019, 12:43 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Try not to get upset about being told to read the manual. First thing I do when getting a new vehicle is go through the manual. A woman in our Corvette club that owned her C6 for 5 years didn't know how to get out of her car after the battery died. Fortunately she had the manual in the car and found how to get out. She showed up to the next club meeting telling everyone how amazing it was to have lever beside the seat to get out. Most of the people she was talking to had no idea about this either.

Check this story out. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ette/71053474/
Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

go online, ask Mr Google and find a digital copy.

and it might be better to know that you haven't been the most grateful of folks asking for help.

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-21-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:08 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cottonant
While I do love parts of modern day technology i.e. the additional horsepower, creature comforts, etc., I really, really miss some of the simple things in life; like the good old fashioned key
I agree, electric door latches is pretty stupid. I think it was done to accommodate the window indexing and seal.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
I agree, electric door latches is pretty stupid. I think it was done to accommodate the window indexing and seal.

The electric locks help solve a very real problem: An extremely long door suspended by two hinges.

By making this lock instead of a traditional lock they were able to transfer all the moving mechanisms to the B pillar. This saves a ton of weight in the door itself (especially the very end of the door that is a long way away from where the door is suspended). This is also why the emergency handle is on the floor along with the cable and all the working parts of it.
The following 3 users liked this post by owc6:
marinablu67 (02-22-2019), ontime (02-22-2019), the kid C6 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:13 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
The electric locks help solve a very real problem: An extremely long door suspended by two hinges.

By making this lock instead of a traditional lock they were able to transfer all the moving mechanisms to the B pillar. This saves a ton of weight in the door itself (especially the very end of the door that is a long way away from where the door is suspended). This is also why the emergency handle is on the floor along with the cable and all the working parts of it.
Electric locks solved a problem? I think it has caused a worse problem.

Get notified of new replies

To battery dead car locked how do i get in

Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by GTs 58
Electric locks solved a problem? I think it has caused a worse problem.
Of course, but the nerds and nerdettes (and they know who they are ) will go down with the ship.

Look on any old car forum and see how many inquiries there are about key problems -- and compare to how many fob threads there are here. Or mechanical door latches vs. electronic door latches, or basic electrical circuits vs. electronic "gremlins", or . . . the comparisons are endless.

Hopefully I'll be dead (or out of my mind in a nursing home) but in the near future IC engines will be outlawed, and "old" cars will be museum pieces because you won't be allowed to license them. We'll all be riding around in electric boxes that will NOT do burnouts and will NOT exceed the speed limit. All encouraged by nerds who never saw a computer chip they didn't like.

Just tonight I was headed to the local watering hole in my '17 Toyota pickup, which turned over 10,000 miles on the way -- so pretty much still new. I touched SOMETHING on the screen and the radio stopped playing. CD still worked but AM and FM had no sound. I punched everything on the screen (while driving the whole time) but nothing would bring the radio back.

This also happened last week, which corrected itself after shutting the engine off and re-starting ("rebooting"). Luckily the same thing happened tonight; I got to the bar, shut the engine off, restarted and the radio was fine.

However, on the way to the bar, with no radio, I was cursing a blue stream. I was trying to remember if I EVER had a radio that didn't work, going back to 1967 when I bought my first car. Nope. In 52 years, counting numerous junkers when I was young, I *never* had a vehicle that had a broken radio. Not until I bought a modern $32k rolling computer.

Ah, nursing home -- where are ya?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruze:
GTs 58 (02-22-2019), ontime (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I guess they could have made the doors shorter and all you old farts could not be able to enter or exit.

;P

Life is a series of compromises. Thank goodness I'm not an engineer.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:35 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Well if you got here then you can find manuals on line all day long....searchable no less.. Unless your lap top was in the car too.

Quick Reply: battery dead car locked how do i get in