C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery dead car locked how do i get in

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I guess they could have made the doors shorter and all you old farts could not be able to enter or exit.

;P

Life is a series of compromises. Thank goodness I'm not an engineer.

Yup, engineering is all about compromising.

Gear too high and you lose low-end power. Gear too low and you lose speed. Planing hulls are great for speed, but suck in rough seas. Jets go really fast, but need long runways. Complex mechanisms can accomplish great things, but are more prone to breaking.

Keyless entries are great for cars, as long as they work -- you never have to take the fob out of your pocket, but aside from that there is no advantage -- but have finicky electronics, and if they go haywire at the wrong time they can leave you in a world of hurt.

Trying to improve upon a mechanical key is akin to coming up with a new shape for the wheel.

And, to no one in particular: I have NO PROBLEM-O getting in and out of my C6!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Yup, engineering is all about compromising.

Gear too high and you lose low-end power. Gear too low and you lose speed. Planing hulls are great for speed, but suck in rough seas. Jets go really fast, but need long runways. Complex mechanisms can accomplish great things, but are more prone to breaking.

Keyless entries are great for cars, as long as they work -- you never have to take the fob out of your pocket, but aside from that there is no advantage -- but have finicky electronics, and if they go haywire at the wrong time they can leave you in a world of hurt.

Trying to improve upon a mechanical key is akin to coming up with a new shape for the wheel.

And, to no one in particular: I have NO PROBLEM-O getting in and out of my C6!

Because the doors are really long. ;P

That said, I had more than one car over the years where the keys have failed, heck I have one currently (2003 Ram 1500 which is teetering on the edge again as we speak, even though it failed once already and had to be replaced ).

Mechanical isn't inherently better the electrical , as long as safeguards are built in (which they are), and people understand what they are buying.

I'm a self-proclaimed technoramus, and when I got my 2005, I understood that there were things I didn't understand, cracked a book ( in the glovebox), and said "OK, new stuff, and I will adapt." I didn't understand how any of it worked (tech-wise), but I did understand that it was different than before, and I endeavored to understand how it works now, even I I will never understand what makes it work.

I don't need to understand the magic of how an electrical lock works any more than I understand how a tumbler or key lock works. Can anyone really explain the why of how electromagnetic induction works? All I need to know is when I put a dead recognized fob (with or w/o a battery even installed) into the glove box slot with the buttons to the right, It will start the car (provided the car battery is up to snuff).

Ok, rant over, whew!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

The truck designers at GM are still waiting for that new wheel to fill in their wheelwells. I see it's almost ready.

The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:41 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

as an engineer that has been working from what was modern technology 45 years ago to the modern technology of today and yes I am still at it. Cant retire keep getting sucked into the next new thing. Here is our motto " if its not broke we didn't put enough features in it"
Please be kind to the people asking for advice or help. For most the reason they ask is because it is a new experience for them. Even if you think it is a ridiculous question take the time to explain and you might find you make a friend along the way. You might need that persons help someday when you get tripped up on an issue.
I learned something here tonight about the difference between the early model years and my 2013 thanks to all of you. This is a great place
The following 2 users liked this post by ontime:
GTs 58 (02-22-2019), PDsVettes (02-24-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Well if you got here then you can find manuals on line all day long....searchable no less.. Unless your lap top was in the car too.
Hopefully the OP has a smart phone? I downloaded the manual for my car as a PDF file. It's icon is right on the home page of the phone. But I'm not that senile yet that I don't remember important things that I read, like getting in, or out of the car when the battery dies!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Because the doors are really long. ;P

That said, I had more than one car over the years where the keys have failed, heck I have one currently (2003 Ram 1500 which is teetering on the edge again as we speak, even though it failed once already and had to be replaced ).

Mechanical isn't inherently better the electrical , as long as safeguards are built in (which they are), and people understand what they are buying.

I'm a self-proclaimed technoramus, and when I got my 2005, I understood that there were things I didn't understand, cracked a book ( in the glovebox), and said "OK, new stuff, and I will adapt." I didn't understand how any of it worked (tech-wise), but I did understand that it was different than before, and I endeavored to understand how it works now, even I I will never understand what makes it work.

I don't need to understand the magic of how an electrical lock works any more than I understand how a tumbler or key lock works. Can anyone really explain the why of how electromagnetic induction works? All I need to know is when I put a dead recognized fob (with or w/o a battery even installed) into the glove box slot with the buttons to the right, It will start the car (provided the car battery is up to snuff).

Ok, rant over, whew!
In my entire life, I think I might have replaced one or two door locks and these would have been "in the early days" when I bought and drove junkers. I've had sloppy ignition switches and I've had keys that were almost worn smooth but cannot recall any of them failing. (Disclaimer: That may not be true cuz I'm old and have dementia)

So if the only upside to keyless entry is that you don't have to take the fob out of your pocket, to me all the sensitive gimickry isn't worth it. The overwhelming number of fob threads here proves my point.

It's time for you to cave!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GTs 58
The truck designers at GM are still waiting for that new wheel to fill in their wheelwells. I see it's almost ready.

Name:  9eHIv.png
Views: 33
Size:  189.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
GTs 58 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

The electric locks help solve a very real problem: An extremely long door suspended by two hinges.

By making this lock instead of a traditional lock they were able to transfer all the moving mechanisms to the B pillar. This saves a ton of weight in the door itself (especially the very end of the door that is a long way away from where the door is suspended). This is also why the emergency handle is on the floor along with the cable and all the working parts of it.
so why couldn't they move mechanical mechanism into the B pillars?

I still think the window indexing plays into it
Old 02-23-2019, 12:10 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LowRyter
so why couldn't they move mechanical mechanism into the B pillars?

I still think the window indexing plays into it
They did.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:41 AM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my entire life, I think I might have replaced one or two door locks and these would have been "in the early days" when I bought and drove junkers. I've had sloppy ignition switches and I've had keys that were almost worn smooth but cannot recall any of them failing. (Disclaimer: That may not be true cuz I'm old and have dementia)

So if the only upside to keyless entry is that you don't have to take the fob out of your pocket, to me all the sensitive gimickry isn't worth it. The overwhelming number of fob threads here proves my point.

It's time for you to cave!
To clarify my comment above regarding missing some of the simple things in life, i. e. the key; the good ole Keyless Entry Remote Control attached to a key is a simple stupid system that has never failed me since when the remote battery dies or the remote fails, one only has to use the key to get in and start the car.

But, this makes too much sense in our modern day system of manufacturing over engineered products, some designed to be complicated and some designed to force us to buy proprietary products from said manufacturer in the future.

Planned obsolescence is not unique to Apple (poor Tim Cook...he only gets 100+ million per year in salary).
Old 02-24-2019, 12:14 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by paldogy
Two years, it is a convertible and I do not have a key nor is there a pull lever in the trunk. Luckily the drivers window was down and I was able to reach the hood lever
Hum...You said the windows was up.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Wut?
I see that you caught that to.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I see that you caught that to.
Thanks. Attachment 48331950

But no response on that from the OP.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:40 AM
owc6
Team Owner

And now we're left a wonderin'

Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Yup....
Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Old 02-24-2019, 06:12 AM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel City
Please tell me how there can possibly be 56 responses to this question?????????????????
Crappy weather

Get notified of new replies

To battery dead car locked how do i get in

Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steel City
Please tell me how there can possibly be 56 responses to this question?????????????????
Originally Posted by cottonant
Crappy weather
Old people have nothing better to do, and can't get out of their chairs, couch, bed, toilet, etc. . .

Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 AM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

The C10 Corvette will have a chip that's implanted in your *** and you won't need a key or FOB.....
Old 02-25-2019, 02:11 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=LowRyter;1598932055]I still think the window indexing plays into it[/QUOTE

Since most modern cars have keyless entry fobs, and their windows don't index, I don't think that's it. ]

Last edited by the kid C6; 02-25-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: battery dead car locked how do i get in