C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best ways to protect my new baby from 4 kids in a 2 car garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboyvette
Need to get ready for my new to me baby to come home. what are some good ideas to help protect my car from 4 kids in a 2 car deep garage. I believe my kids care but they still are kids.

I have a real nice car cover I may buy a cheap cover to go over the nice one and put heavy blankets over that to cushion a scratch.

1" thick pink insulating foam across the inside of the garage to prevent door accidental door dings from the wife truck or from bikes ext.

I don't have a painted floor and I live in wisconsin, so my garage floor is all salty from this winter what to do about the floor for clean up and long term

who makes good parking stops for location in the garage?

any other creative Ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
A good car cover will help. I have an outdoor fleece lined cover that recently saved mine from a painful booboo. I was rolling my snow thrower out of the garage when a wheel snagged on an extension cord on the floor causing it to veer into the side of the Corvette. I was afraid to look but found the only damage I had was a small tear in the outer fabric of the car cover.

I once saw a picture of a unique idea someone had to protect their car in a tight underground parking spot. They hung an inflated air mattress suspended from the ceiling by light chains. When the car was parked the air mattress was against the side of the car and being suspended would move out of the way of the door opening and would also provide a door stop for the adjacent car door opening.

Last edited by Icecap; 03-15-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
Also have 7 kids, 6 bikes, 6 longboards, 7 scooters, etc in the garage...
You keep your kids in the garage?! That's messed up man.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by ttboyvette
Actually I was really looking for more general tips and storage advise...

Like how bad is it to just sweep up the salt on the garage floor and park over it when the warming of spring will bring alot of moisture under my car. I wont be able to power wash the salts away for another month or two.

this summer I may epoxy the floor for storage next winter.
Zero problem. Sweep out what's loose and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by SlothX311
You keep your kids in the garage?! That's messed up man.
Well he certainly doesn't want them in the family room or the kitchen...
The following users liked this post:
ttboyvette (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Covering is a good way to protect against someone accidently bumping up against it and scratching it with a ring, something hanging from a purse, a watch, etc. etc. Beyond that, I would do two simple things: 1) Make sure my kids knew the garage is not a play area and horse play is definitely not permitted; 2) if they have bikes, scooters or other toys that are stored in the garage, insure they are not stored near your Vette and that the Vette is not in their path as they take them in/out. I did both of these when my daughter was growing up and now do the same with my granddaughters; knock on wood, haven't had any 'accidents' to date. Beyond that, unless you want to buy a car bubble (yes, they make them, I had one for a while that a friend gave me when I had to store my Corvette in carport) or physically fence off your Corvette there isn't much you can do.

Last edited by Welker1; 03-15-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:43 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

pool noodles hung between cars and atteched to walls. will save you a bit' until the kids take them for fighting.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Pilgrim86314
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, quit thinking of it as "your baby;" it'll make inevitable damage easier to take. The only way to avoid that is to wrap it, box it, and put it in storage, and if you're gonna do that, what's the point of having it? It's a damn car, for crying out loud, a good one and a valued purchase, but really: "baby?!"
The following users liked this post:
Fatnshort (03-17-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

OP, you mentioned parking stops for the garage. Here’s s nifty device my wife gave me years ago. It uses 4 double “A”’ batteries and illuminates in green, yellow, and red when you get closer and closer to the wall. She bought it at Target. Also, I made a door edge guard made from a piece of pool noodle wrapped in red duct tape. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by mykream
Adoption and divorce are always an option
No need for adoption. Just throw the wife out and tell her to take the trophies with her
Old 03-16-2019, 10:15 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I, too, have 4 kids with all their assorted bikes (hanging from the ceiling so dad has to get down), sports equipment etc. I have a large 3-car garage but the Grand Sport is currently parked in the middle spot because that’s where the battery tender is plugged in.

It starts by teaching them the value of things & what to do & not to do. My kids are getting older now, but we never had to put outlet protectors in the outlets or locks on the cabinets or toilet lid locks, etc. Simply taught the kids not to play with those things.

I’m also one that believes there are no “accidents” maybe it’s the researcher in me, but every situation has a cause. My kids know this as well - if they knock over their cup on the table, it wasn’t an “accident” it was due to not paying attention to what they were doing. I don’t scold them for it, simply point out the cause & effect of their action. This teaches them to take responsibility for their actions and not blame it on some unseen force. They know this about being in the garage and around the cars also. They understand cars are expensive and damage to them can be expensive as well (which would come out of their bank accounts).

As far as your garage set up, the more things you can get up & out of the way the better. Like I said all our bikes (8 total) are hanging from the ceiling, their sports equipment is hanging on the wall, etc.

Good luck with your new toy!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:17 AM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

A word of advice from a fellow Wisconsinite, get a real battery maintainer/smart charger, not just an old school "trickle charger". Some of the brands I'm thinking of include, Battery Tender, Ctek, Schumacher... there are others. Keep the car plugged in 24/7 if you're not going to be driving it for a week or so.

Do you have mice problems or are you more citified than me? Mice can be a real issue out here in the woods.

Like others have said, sweep out a spot and park on it.. There is always Menards, they have several different choices of vinyl garage flooring in rolls starting at under $150.. Menards has 72" black rubber stops to put on the floor ..... about $50

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:51 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

they sell foam tubes that are 6 or 7 inches in diameter that are made to be hung on the side of the car from end to end.they will save the car in a lot of cases.Kids are kids though and just have to hope for the best and be a little lucky
Old 03-16-2019, 12:05 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

thanks i will try Menards for the stops.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Too bad this post got taken so far out of context. I truly have great kids that I have raised well and I am very proud of them. I also have a great wife that I love dearly and has my back in everything I do. Is the Vette my baby? no..... not even close just a medifore for about a new toy I bought and my excitement of getting a vette again after 8 years without a car. I love my family not my car...... never even a question.....
All I want to do is try my best to make it easy for everyone to live a normal life in my garage while still protecting the Vette from accidental damage. Thanks it.....
I also live in wisconsin where the elements are a issue and the will get in the garage. I would like to be proactive about protecting it from obvious negative nature abuse.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 PM
sonik_fury
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

One of my four daughters was helping me wash mine just last night. Heck, they let me know when it's looking dirty and notice imperfections before I do. It's gotta look hot when I pick her up from practice or something.

Last edited by sonik_fury; 03-16-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Chris J
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Cockroach
So it seems your kids are a little out of your control and your wife needs to swing her door wide open to exit her truck, you may just need to build a new separate garage for your stuff.

Here's a few other helpful tips.
1. Don't eat yellow snow
2. Don't run with scissors
3. Don't poke a skunk with a stick

Quick Reply: What is the best ways to protect my new baby from 4 kids in a 2 car garage