C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Aftermarket (Kenwood) Head Unit problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Corvette Aftermarket (Kenwood) Head Unit problem.

Loving my 2006 Corvette Z06, but I have been having issues with the aftermarket Kenwood touch panel radio unit. When I park the car for a day or so, then I get back into it and fire up the car, I cannot get the aftermarket head unit to turn back on, it will eject a cd but the screen and sound, nothing works, so I literally have to remove the negative battery lead and reattach for the radio to turn on again. Obviously this gets to be tiresome after the third or forth time. Has anybody else had any issues with their aftermarket head unit, having to reset it every time other day or so when you want to get it out for a drive. I just thought I would check because I would hate to discard a perfectly good radio if it is something else.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

I've had two Kenwood head units in my 08 base. A ddx512 the previous owner installed and a dnx574s I replaced it with. Both have been perfect. You either have a wiring issue or the unit is defective IMO.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
I've had two Kenwood head units in my 08 base. A ddx512 the previous owner installed and a dnx574s I replaced it with. Both have been perfect. You either have a wiring issue or the unit is defective IMO.
I agree, myself being an electrician, I am going to take a look at it sometime soon.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

What model do you have?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
I have the DNX 574s in my 2000 Deville. No complaints, does every thing you need in a radio.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Does it turn on and off correctly? Did you get the $100 gm lan interface at install? You have either a defective lan module or radio if you got the right module.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

2006 model.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm wondering if it has something to do with your yellow wire (from head unit) that is constant power to the battery or the red wire (from head unit) which is to the switch via the accessory circuit.
I've had several Kenwood head units over the years and they've all been bulletproof.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Do you know what type interface you have ? If it's the PAC RP5-GM11 I believe there's been issues with these to where they've modified their installation instructions to where you had to add jumpers on the yellow constant power wires and the black ground wires when you use this interface with a double DIN radio. Look at the "Important Instructions for Double DIN Radios" section from the installation instructions you can find here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF

This could potentially be your issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
Landru (03-21-2019), Sox-Fan (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

Yup, the unit was not wired up, worked on it this afternoon and I think we got it fixed, went back out and now the radios turns right on!

Originally Posted by madsonp
Do you know what type interface you have ? If it's the PAC RP5-GM11 I believe there's been issues with these to where they've modified their installation instructions to where you had to add jumpers on the yellow constant power wires and the black ground wires when you use this interface with a double DIN radio. Look at the "Important Instructions for Double DIN Radios" section from the installation instructions you can find here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF

Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cody Strife
Yup, the unit was not wired up, worked on it this afternoon and I think we got it fixed, went back out and now the radios turns right on!
Glad to hear it, hopefully that was the issue and you won't have anymore problems.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp

Great info! I just installed a new radio and PAC RP5GM11 interface, all purchased in January. My interface did not come with those updated instructions. It appears that I will be going back in soon to make sure I have no issues....

Last edited by Boostedsvt; 03-22-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:34 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am getting ready to install a Kenwood DNX575S double DIN head unit (with built-in Garmin Nav) in my 2011 GS very soon. I will be using the PAC RP5-GM11 interface too.

I guess I will be needing to add those jumper wires on it too ....

You would think that PAC would fix this problem so there interface would be truely 'plug and play' so the user would not need to cobble together there own wires to get it to work correctly.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe they've since addressed the issue on the newest ones by adding the jumpers at the factory so you may not need to do it, you'll just have to look at it.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-22-2019 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

2 of my last 3 Kenwoods came from Dennis and he took care of that before he shipped them. I remember him mentioning that to me once. He kind of spoiled us.

@madsonp good call!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:16 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I am getting ready to install a Kenwood DNX575S double DIN head unit (with built-in Garmin Nav) in my 2011 GS very soon. I will be using the PAC RP5-GM11 interface too.

I guess I will be needing to add those jumper wires on it too ....

You would think that PAC would fix this problem so there interface would be truely 'plug and play' so the user would not need to cobble together there own wires to get it to work correctly.
i just had a 575s installed at Best Buy, total plug and play. Great unit.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by jdurhan

i just had a 575s installed at Best Buy, total plug and play. Great unit.
Good to hear .... Did they install the socket for your USB in your center console area (under the arm rest cover) ?

My 2011 GS did not originally come with a USB, so, this is the USB socket I think I want installed in the center console ... Ordered it off ebay for 10 bucks

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Aftermarket (Kenwood) Head Unit problem.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:33 AM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Can anyone tell me if the Kenwood DNX9960 is a good head unit?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Good to hear .... Did they install the socket for your USB in your center console area (under the arm rest cover) ?

My 2011 GS did not originally come with a USB, so, this is the USB socket I think I want installed in the center console ... Ordered it off ebay for 10 bucks

i had him put an extended apple phone cord in the console. I just plug my phone in, I have Apple Music
so that’s all I really need. That plug your showing looks nice though.

Last edited by jdurhan; 03-22-2019 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboyvette
Can anyone tell me if the Kenwood DNX9960 is a good head unit?
NO NO.

The car that I own had one in it when I bought it. Bought the car in San Antonio. By the time I got back to South Carolina I already had ordered a new head unit and had it on the way. Hated that thing. The interface sucked and was clunky. The Navigation was out of date and Garmin wanted $99 to update. It never pulled my sms messages right. Not that I wanted to read texts while driving but dammit, if it's a built in feature then it should work. The icons were ugly and looked like they came out of the movie Tron. It was really freakin slow to scroll and took too long to boot up. the voice command feature didn't work well. And one thing that seriously pissed me off was no shuffle play of a USB stick. I had brought a USB of music with me for the ride home. No shuffle means it starts at A. And very time you shut off the car it starts at... A.

Wanna know how many times I heard AC/DC Back in Black?

I could live with it if it wasn't so slow and sluggish to manually scroll though the album list and pick something but that was so slow and choppy I gave up on it.

By the time I finished those 1600 miles that head unit went straight to the trash.

I bought a new Kenwood with no Navigation that needs to be updated, but instead has Android Auto. Google maps is always up to date, works on my phone, laptop and car and I don't need to pay for that. Don't like Google maps? Waze works too. No subscription or update fees necessary. I got this one but it's already a little out of date. The phone has to be plugged in via USB for Android Auto and Car play to work. Newer head units even support those functions over bluetooth or wifi; no need to plug in. I have my usb in the console though, so I don't mind it being plugged in.

Quick Reply: Corvette Aftermarket (Kenwood) Head Unit problem.