C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Jack

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

In 12 years and almost 150,000 miles of C6 ownership, I've seen it all when it comes to tires with the possible exception of color matching. Since Red is my daily driver, I needed a cold weather tire to get through the winter months. In 2007 the only available winter tire was the Pirelli Sottozero, a non-runflat. So I collected all the well known bits: plug kit, stripped down Harley-Davidson 12V air pump, etc. I had driven just three weeks on those Sottozeros when, on my way to a friend's house to watch the NFC and AFC championship games, I made a left hand turn at a major arterial intersection and dropped the brand new right rear into a huge water-filled pothole. Red felt like it hit an IED. The pothole tore a three-inch gash in the sidewall. The TPMS couldn't scream fast enough. All the air had escaped within 100 feet. Fortunately I was able to turn off the arterial into an apartment parking lot. Equally fortunately, the storage locker where I had my summer wheels+tires and a floor jack was only five blocks away. I called my friend who sent his wife with a pickup truck to haul the jack and summer right rear from the storage locker. It was cold and windy, but I was able to remove and replace that dead non-runflat in a reasonably safe place. With no road hazard warranty, the replacement cost me $500. I ran those Sottozeros for six winters, all the while terrified of getting a puncture in some pitch black god-forsaken place with narrow shoulders and semis whizzing past.

Enter the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ runflat, released on Halloween three years ago. I believe I grabbed the first four shipped from TireRack in Indiana. Three days after they were mounted we had a major ice storm in StL. I remember crawling with white knucles up I-55 making 29 mph in 29-degree freezing rain. Traction control was pulling 100% duty cycle on that commute home.

Those Michelin A/S runflats proved their worth many more times since then. My girlfriend seems to be a magnet for picking up screws and nails wherever she wanders. I've had to have three slow-to-medium rate leaks repaired this winter alone. And this evening as I pulled off the Michelins and mounted the summer Firestones, I spotted a sidewall rupture in the left front that's going to have me on the phone tomorrow with TireRack about their road hazard warranty.

All this chit chat is lead-in to a serious question: What about my original patching kit in the rear cubby? It's still there. Unopened. Never used. Thank god. If I wasn't before, I'm now a confirmed believer in runflat tires.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Has anyone actually plugged a vette flat tire with it ON the car? I have plugged many tires on my work trucks and that was not an easy task. Maybe I have the wrong plug kit, but no way could i plug a flat vette tire with the car inches off the ground and a hard *** tire to poke in to.

I keep a regular scissor jack, mounted so it won't fly in a crash cause the only way I would be able to plug a vette tire is off the car and some air in it to fluff it up a bit.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
All this chit chat is lead-in to a serious question: What about my original patching kit in the rear cubby? It's still there. Unopened. Never used. Thank god. If I wasn't before, I'm now a confirmed believer in runflat tires.
The glue in your kit is long since dried up...
Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Has anyone actually plugged a vette flat tire with it ON the car? I have plugged many tires on my work trucks and that was not an easy task. Maybe I have the wrong plug kit, but no way could i plug a flat vette tire with the car inches off the ground and a hard *** tire to poke in to.

I keep a regular scissor jack, mounted so it won't fly in a crash cause the only way I would be able to plug a vette tire is off the car and some air in it to fluff it up a bit.
Even when I had non-run-flats I always had plenty of warning and could drive the car to the tire shop. If the day ever comes that I have some sort of blowout along the road, I'll whip out a credit card and wait the appropriate time for someone to show up. If past history is any indicator, this will never take place.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Exactly. Blowout? You’re screwed anyway.
Slow leak? Pump it up and drive till it’s low and fill again until u get to a tire shop.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo

Yes....I found the leak and plugged it and it was drivers side rear and never jacked the car up. It was basically in the center of the tread on driver rear......Took about five minutes...I drove it for 5k after with no issues.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-27-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 AM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Side question - not trying to hijack but now I'm reading threads on this topic and I'm seeing that C6's came with some sort of GM patch kit when new? I'm guessing they expired also from what I read - since I picked up a '12 last fall & there's nothing there.

If they did, what was included in the kit?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
Side question - not trying to hijack but now I'm reading threads on this topic and I'm seeing that C6's came with some sort of GM patch kit when new? I'm guessing they expired also from what I read - since I picked up a '12 last fall & there's nothing there.

If they did, what was included in the kit?

None of my c6's had that...I had 07/11/12/13/15and another 12... I used the deluxe green slime kit...sans the slime...just the plug kit.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-30-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
None of my c6's had that...I had 07/11/12/13/15and another 12... UI sussed the deluxe green slime kit...sans the slime...just the plug kit.
Thanks - could be that a few dealers put together a "kit" and upped the price by 500%.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:42 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 902 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Pegaso
Hi, I had some of the same concerns, I followed the advise from a forum member. Went with this low profile jack, little pricey, but it's small and compact to carry around. You also need a small air compressor, they sell some that fit in your hand, they take a little longer to reach desired pressure, but the compact size is convenient, a tire repair kit. Of course this is for tire puncher, if the tire is sliced or mayor blow out your going to have to be towed. Good luck.Attached Images
I like that but dang they are proud of it. Googled around for 15 minutes, couldn't find a better deal.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Second screw in second drive this year
It figures. it's a run flat. didn't loose any air.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

This is in my trunk. C4 jack and all the necessary tools to plug a tire.
The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (04-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 12:00 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

bump for further thoughts
Old 12-22-2020, 06:42 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

still wanting thoughts/ideas
Old 01-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Portable tire inflator.
Socket for lug nuts, socket for jack, and ratchet for both.
Tire plug kit consisting of plug kit, vice grips, pliers.
Low Profile Billet Aluminum jack.

I have everything except the jack, ratchet, and sockets.

My plug kit and tools all fit in a compact orange plastic waterproof container.

My tire inflator is very compact also.

I think I will be able to fit everything in the driver side storage compartment in the back. I am going to get a Harbor Freight 1/2 inch collapsible ratchet it is should also fit.

Quick Reply: Portable Jack