C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Jack

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:02 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mike3LT
Thank you. I am aware of this method. It does not answer my question however. I love this forum and everyone's willingness to help but I feel like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men trying to get an answer at this point. Maybe it's me, maybe I can't handle the truth

I am abandoning further attempts at trying to get more answers. I will take my chances with whatever decision I make. Thank you to those who provided feedback on their own experiences - very helpful.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's time.
Go with your intuition. It is an extra insurance, like we all hope we will never need. It is better to have it than not. I run non run flat tires, cary repair kit, gorilla wrench, some tools t remove nails, compressor and a BMW. scissor jack. Just in case the puncture is in a place too far away or the roads are wet and muddy. It would take me 5 minutes to remove the tire and plug the hole with comfort. I also carry a 38 in the car, hopefully never need it, but it is better to have it and not needed it than other-way around. I think your request and thinking is correct.
The following users liked this post:
Luzifer (04-09-2021)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:12 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought a used C4 jack many years ago (Corvettes at Carlisle) when I dumped the runflats on my C5. Sold the car but kept the jack for my 13GS which doesn’t have runflats. You can still find used C4 jacks on eBay.

Last edited by GrandSportRob; 03-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.
mike3LT (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:30 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Be easy enough to adapt the top plate with a pin to engage in the Vette's jack point holes. Or modify some pucks to engage the current top plate.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:04 PM
KevDude
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts

As TorchRedFred noted, rarely is your Vette going to be on a flat, level solid ground. Odds are higher it will be in dirt on the side of a highway or roadway. Who wants to drive on a rim to a solid area? I wouldn't risk jacking up this car in most places.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:28 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by PushrodV8
Mike, I tried the roll and find technique once. It was a no go because the sight line to the tread is very limited, even with an inflated rear. Small nail or staple very hard to find. Slow leak, I aired up went home and got it fixed.
I agree, pulling the wheel is safest surest way.

I spend a lot of time in Baja (but sadly, not with the Corvette). Hence, I am somewhat biased towards being able to fix a flat in remote places on my own, and that has carried over to sporting around in the C6 in the lower 48.

Thanks for posting about this. This place remains one of the best resources for Corvette knowledge I have found, just trying to give back a fraction of what I have gained here. And PS: my sis lives up the road from you in Marion, I hope to be out that way in August, we can compare flat fix notes!
I don't really think anyone is talking about a slow leak here due to a small nail or a staple. Thats pretty much a no-brainier. As you mention you fill it up how ever many times it takes to get home and fix it. To find an item that is causing a substantial leak where immediate attention is needed can be done with the "roll & find" technique. Sure your gonna get you clothes dirty, but thats what Tide is for. You obviously have to lay down to have a good "sight line" as you call it, but it works. Now regardless of how one attacks a flat on the roadside, for anyone that doesn't want to get dirty then of course calling AAA is their best choice.......
Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

my aluminum low profile race jack fit in the car, for long trips. it does take space but I have room
Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Just keep a good air pump in the car. If you have to stop every 5 miles and fill up, so be it.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
mike3LT
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks guys - great stuff! Did some more searching on the forum and it looks like ACDelco 34111 was mentioned as a good solution to my problem. This may ultimately be the direction I choose to go. As always, and like another poster said, this place is the best resource I have found for these cars. You guys rock.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I don't see how that jack solves your problem either, but I give up.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-failure.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-slipped.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-slipped.html
Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM
mike3LT
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I think you might have swayed me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

Unpopular opinion here but I like to be self sufficient. I’ve been carrying a jack from my Infiniti G37. Previously had a harbor freight jack but I retired it when it wore out. Been running non run flats for 29K miles. I’ve received about 5 punctures the first 20K miles so you could say I’m probably the most unlikely driver ever.

I also carry a dynaplug kit and mini compressor in the cubby. 100+ piece tool set and jack behind the seat. i dont know if you’ve ever been to central North Dakota, but there aint jack **** out here. It’s so much easier to just repair the tire myself and keep on going. If you’re breaking torque on the lugs while on jacks, you’re doing it wrong.

Break torque before you jack the car, jack car, remove lug and wheels, find puncture, repair, install wheels and lugs hand tight, lower and torque.
Name:  vrdjNAph.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  113.1 KB
Name:  1jgPRBhh.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  155.7 KB
Name:  BSR4cIrh.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  161.5 KB

I’ve also removed the clutch master cylinder in a parking lot and repaired it so I could continue autocrossing. This was way before GM sent out the recall. Much faster, easier, cheaper than waiting till the weekday for the dealer to open.

This was when my tick master cylinder came and I swapped it out. Same procedure as when I repaired the stock one. I was lucky that tractor supply co. Was across the street so I could get a jackstand instead of having to place a wheel under the car.
Name:  nh38E6sh.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  137.9 KB

Last edited by ttx350z; 03-25-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Luzifer (04-09-2021)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Just drive on the run-flat tire, or air up a non-run-flat. Ain't no way I'd be carrying a jack in my Vette. Air pump? Ok. Jack? nope...
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mike3LT
Maybe it's helpful to add conditions. Pretend it's 7PM Saturday night of a holiday weekend, meaning all shops are closed until Tuesday 8am. You are 400 miles away from home and absolutely have to be back Monday evening. There's a nail in [pick a tire] that can be plugged safely.

Will the jack, as previously described, work?
Wal-Mart is open...
Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

This thread gives new meaning to the line "Paralysis by analysis".

You do realize that, when you have a flat tire, you may not be able to get any jack under under your car, right? Often, the only way to plug a flat is to roll the vehicle to such a position that the hole/puncture is moderately accessible, then plug it at that point, with the tire on the car.

Have you ever plugged a flat? I have plugged tires that I had to push and/or pull on so hard that if the tire were not mounted on the hub, I could not have done it.

You are developing a repair strategy that will not likely work out. Keep your plug kit, air compressor, and fix-a-flat handy, and LEAVE THE JACK AT HOME! JMO, though....

Last edited by buckmeister2; 03-25-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by buckmeister2

I would agree. I've been driving for 35 years and owned 20 some cars and I have never had to do a tire repair along the side of the road. I'm going to continue taking my chances.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2

You do realize that, when you have a flat tire, you may not be able to get any jack under under your car, right? Often, the only way to plug a flat is to roll the vehicle to such a position that the hole/puncture is moderately accessible, then plug it at that point, with the tire on the car.

Have you ever plugged a flat? I have plugged tires that I had to push and/or pull on so hard that if the tire were not mounted on the hub, I could not have done it.

You are developing a repair strategy that will not likely work out. Keep your plug kit, air compressor, and fix-a-flat handy, and LEAVE THE JACK AT HOME! JMO, though....
I've plugged many tires on my vette. It's never been so low that I couldn't get a jack under there. If it was, I would just inflate it and than get a jack under there. You guys make it sound like plugging a tire is rocket science when it's trivial.
VetteofSD (09-11-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 02:20 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

What about one of those air bags like the off roaders use? Will that lift a Vette without breaking anything? Need a pretty high volume compressor.

Get notified of new replies

To Portable Jack

Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

My emergency kit; Run flats, AAA card, phone, and credit card. Maybe a handheld CB if going out of range of cell tower - though a handheld will only get you a few miles, so still needs to be traffic around you. Oh, and a first aid kit (in each of my cars). I have a battery jumper that I've carried in other vehicles - better than jumper cables.

I wouldn't have anything other than run flats.

And last but not least, I do have race ramps for working at home. Not cheap, but well worth it.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:54 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ttx350z
I've plugged many tires on my vette. It's never been so low that I couldn't get a jack under there. If it was, I would just inflate it and than get a jack under there. You guys make it sound like plugging a tire is rocket science when it's trivial.
Agree....

I plugged one on one of my c6's and never took it off the car...Drove it 5k miles without issues... Its a run flat for a reason lol.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:26 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

I had a small screw in my drivers side rear with RUN FLATS had 4000 miles on them. I drive it home and pulled the wheel and had it plugged. The TPMS sensor illuminate. Drove for 6 miles that way to get home. PS. I use a low profile floor jack with a hockey puck. If I jack up at the rear location in front of the rear wheel with my 2.5 Ton floor jack lifts the rear and the front at the same time.

Quick Reply: Portable Jack