C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:59 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

One thing I found curious with the Z06, why is there the line behind where the Targa top would come off? Seems like they should have just made it a single piece.

Honestly when I first started looking at a C6 I didn't realize the tops didn't come off because of the pictures I saw with that line across the top.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by SPSandman
One thing I found curious with the Z06, why is there the line behind where the Targa top would come off? Seems like they should have just made it a single piece.

Honestly when I first started looking at a C6 I didn't realize the tops didn't come off because of the pictures I saw with that line across the top.
You never can tell about the lineage of the design. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they made one roof and cut the panels out in order to put a Targa in.

I had a 98 C5 that I installed a HUD in. When I removed the dash, all of the markings for where the HUD went were already in it. And Huds didn't even exist in 98 yet. Did make it easier to install I will say.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:37 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,566 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG
When people say “Corvettes are terrible drag cars/half mile cars” I just think .....🤣 your so silly.....and carry on.
Its not that they cant be made fast... its just way cheaper to do on other platforms. You can buy an fbod for practically nothing and throw in a bulletproof powertrain for less than the shittiest c6. Certainly if you are willing to throw money at it, the c6 can be made into a great drag car.... for twice as much as other cars.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
You never can tell about the lineage of the design. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they made one roof and cut the panels out in order to put a Targa in.

I had a 98 C5 that I installed a HUD in. When I removed the dash, all of the markings for where the HUD went were already in it. And Huds didn't even exist in 98 yet. Did make it easier to install I will say.
Funny, and you are probably right. Do you know if the Z06 rear gasket between the roof panel and the halo goes all the way through, and they simply didn't include the mechanism to remove the top.

Guess the C5 they were almost there and decided, they should wait for the big HUD reveal for the C6. That is kind of funny. Maybe started the planning and the tech hadn't been caught up.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:46 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 776 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Its not that they cant be made fast... its just way cheaper to do on other platforms. You can buy an fbod for practically nothing and throw in a bulletproof powertrain for less than the shittiest c6. Certainly if you are willing to throw money at it, the c6 can be made into a great drag car.... for twice as much as other cars.
Valid point. You can easily find a $5k stang(**** maybe less) throw $15k at the mods and haul *** in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. But you’d be just another jabroni with a Mustang right🤣 I assumed we were talking from the perspective of guys wanting a C6 vette, not what can be made fast for the least amount of money. On the other hand the C6 ZO6 is somewhat the equivalent to that budget Mustang on a higher scale.....if you wanna gap exotics a modded C6z or GS or base done correctly is probably the best way to hurt 200-300k cars feeling on the street.....it’s all relative I guess....GTR’s and Lamborghini’s turn out to be serious straight line cars when money is no object and they damn sure weren’t designed for that lol. Ultimately I’m just a fan of fast cars.🇺🇸

Last edited by 73DBG; 03-29-2019 at 12:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 73DBG:
BlackMamba89 (03-29-2019), SPSandman (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:59 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Funny, and you are probably right. Do you know if the Z06 rear gasket between the roof panel and the halo goes all the way through, and they simply didn't include the mechanism to remove the top.

Guess the C5 they were almost there and decided, they should wait for the big HUD reveal for the C6. That is kind of funny. Maybe started the planning and the tech hadn't been caught up.
I don't know. I've got a 427 Vert, and though I have a couple buddys with Z06, I have never looked closely at it. I've seen a lot of C5s torn apart (same buddys have a c5 salvage business) and there's no question about it, new from the factory panels have saw marks on em where they clearly cut away unwanted material. So it seems possible there'd be one panel made for the roof, and then they cut a hole, seal up the seams, and viola, it's a targa.

Gene at Cultrag was selling C5 Huds years ago, NOS, and I grabbed one. Went to install, did the same thing others had tried, just solder the connectors onto my cluster and wire it up. Well, it 'sorta worked'... The speed display did function, none of the control buttons worked, and the display mode would change about ever hour of running time, all on it's own. So, clearly they were working on the firmware for that. Left the connecting header off the clusters, and shipped cars that had most of the stuff in place, but no hud available. I obtained a new cluster with almost identical mileage and installed that.

Later either that year or in 99, Hud's became an option and all those cars had all the stuff ready for em, even if it wasn't installed. Those you just cut the hole, install and plug it in. So yea, it matters where they are in the development cycle. And just cause they were thinking about it, does not mean it's a slam dunk to add.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Very interesting and you're probably right. They have to start preparing for things as they are developing it, especially with early tech. Interesting though is they had been around since the Oldsmobile Cutlass in 88. Guess they were still "perfecting" it. They probably had prototypes internally to test and if your add on HUD sorta worked with the existing firmware there was obviously some "BETA" software in there.

I am assuming the 427 has the same headers, exhaust and mufflers, and transmission and gears as the Z06 as well? I know others say it isn't a Z06, but as you mentioned it is pretty much close enough. The only difference would be the steel frame, correct and the obvious convertible top? It has the same fenders and quarters, brakes and venting.

I see your in PA, not too far north of me. I had some family that lived a little east of Pittsburgh for 10 years or so and used to go up there quite a bit and we have been up to Lancaster / Strasburg a couple times to see the Thomas the train and the train museum and the model train place when the kiddos were little. Beautiful around there.

EDIT: Well I see the 427 doesn't have the performance traction system of the Z06, and has the magnetic ride control but does share the same balsa wood floor boards skinned with carbon fiber as the Z06 and the hood along with the Carbon fenders and the CFZ edition included more items that the Z06 Carbon Edition had as well.

Definitely one badass ride

Last edited by SPSandman; 03-29-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie15
This was actually an advantage of the Z06 for me. I had a base model prior and it was embarrassing. The creaks and pops were awful. I would never want a passenger because of it. I even tried to fix it with c clips. I'm sure not all C6s with removable tops are like this, but that was my experience.

I did love the transparent top though and being able to see outside. It was even cool to look up at night. It was fun when it was off, but I can't do that much in Florida anyways. Far too hot. I'll take a quiet roof over all that though.
Interesting. I was actually surprised how quiet my top was. My last Corvette a 94 had all sorts of noises especially with the clear top on. It was a bit better with the painted top, not to mention the horrible gasket drains it had (ie leaks at times).

My 2012 GS has the painted top and the main noises I hear are from behind me and think that is just the stuff I have in the back, like my umbrella, jack pucks and other items and then a bit of road noise. What years was yours, and did it do it with both tops, or did you just have the clear top? I have heard that with the clear top there is a bit more outside noise, but not sure about creaks and pops.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:16 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

I am assuming the 427 has the same headers, exhaust and mufflers, and transmission and gears as the Z06 as well?
Yes, those parts are the same.

I see your in PA, not too far north of me. I had some family that lived a little east of Pittsburgh for 10 years or so and used to go up there quite a bit and we have been up to Lancaster / Strasburg a couple times to see the Thomas the train and the train museum and the model train place when the kiddos were little. Beautiful around there.
I like it here. I'm not gonna say I wouldn't also enjoy being a little farther south, but I like the change of seasons we get here.
EDIT: Well I see the 427 doesn't have the performance traction system of the Z06, and has the magnetic ride control but does share the same balsa wood floor boards skinned with carbon fiber as the Z06 and the hood along with the Carbon fenders and the CFZ edition included more items that the Z06 Carbon Edition had as well.

Definitely one badass ride
Thanks, and I agree, but I pretty much think that about everything from the first LS1 on up. To include all the LT cars of 14-19 and beyond I'm sure. There are numerous items that differentiate the 427/Z cars, yes. But with options added on, you could have made them virtually the same. How big is your checkbook. I was sorta joking above, but I've been trolled by a number of folks who just love to bust on the 427 that "It's not a Z06", like I care.

It's a cruiser, and I don't think anyone has ever misrepresented that fact. It's tough to get one on a track, they require more waivers than a hardtop. Few tracks will even allow em, Watkins Glen is one that will. Some guys on here act like the car's track numbers are the be-all-end-all of your ability to enjoy it. So I've gotten to where I jab right back just for the humor of it. I think of it like audio guys who argue over this speaker or that speaker, when you'd need a spectrum analyzer in a soundproofed test chamber to differentiate the two, yet nono, this is superior!

Mine has the mag ride which there's also varied opinions of. I love it. I really think the car as a whole feels different. Mine has active handling as well, not sure if that's linked to the Z06 traction you've talked about but I know mine will light the tires at 100 and wheelhop if the roads are cold, and I've never ever had the motor cut out during that, even in a slight slide. I question if the active handling even works, given how far I've leaned on the car and never had nannies kick in. I drive mine. I hit .84g on a cloverleaf on Wednesday for instance, just going back to work at lunchtime...
Old 03-29-2019, 03:46 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Yes, those parts are the same.

I like it here. I'm not gonna say I wouldn't also enjoy being a little farther south, but I like the change of seasons we get here.

Thanks, and I agree, but I pretty much think that about everything from the first LS1 on up. To include all the LT cars of 14-19 and beyond I'm sure. There are numerous items that differentiate the 427/Z cars, yes. But with options added on, you could have made them virtually the same. How big is your checkbook. I was sorta joking above, but I've been trolled by a number of folks who just love to bust on the 427 that "It's not a Z06", like I care.

It's a cruiser, and I don't think anyone has ever misrepresented that fact. It's tough to get one on a track, they require more waivers than a hardtop. Few tracks will even allow em, Watkins Glen is one that will. Some guys on here act like the car's track numbers are the be-all-end-all of your ability to enjoy it. So I've gotten to where I jab right back just for the humor of it. I think of it like audio guys who argue over this speaker or that speaker, when you'd need a spectrum analyzer in a soundproofed test chamber to differentiate the two, yet nono, this is superior!

Mine has the mag ride which there's also varied opinions of. I love it. I really think the car as a whole feels different. Mine has active handling as well, not sure if that's linked to the Z06 traction you've talked about but I know mine will light the tires at 100 and wheelhop if the roads are cold, and I've never ever had the motor cut out during that, even in a slight slide. I question if the active handling even works, given how far I've leaned on the car and never had nannies kick in. I drive mine. I hit .84g on a cloverleaf on Wednesday for instance, just going back to work at lunchtime...
Yeah one reason I love VA, is the fact we get all four seasons. I definitely like seeing the seasons change. Though, I am sure I could get used to the the beach life 24x7 and just visit other places. Either way VA has always been home.

I agree with you there, everyone likes to one up everyone else when in reality as you say you can't really tell in many cases. Just like watching something on a 4k TV, and now they have 5k. Is it really that noticeable. Don't even mention Wide Body Vs Base. LoL, those become train wrecks very fast.

Either way, no matter the model I love all of the C6s and really think they are the best looking Corvette since the C2. All of them can put a smile on your face. Damn light the tires at 100?!? NICE! I know I have done that at around 55 on the way home the day I got it my dad and I both yelled WOOO! and laughed. This was in January so the roads were very cold.

Funny you mention the G's I was interested in how high others have gotten that too. I am usually up around there as well on my commute as we have a couple very sweet back roads that have some awesome turns. Though, when I get behind someone doing 25, ARG! But, then I just look up and smile, crank the tunes up and just cruise. Always another day. Still curious how far I can take it. I know my Camaro SS the wheels would start to squeal a bit on these same roads and I could feel when I needed to let up, but the Vette has been like a rail and not a peep. Hopefully the tires do the same and let you know before they let go. With all that rubber, hopefully that is the case.

Anyway, can't wait for a nice day to take the car up to the mountains with the top off!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:12 PM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like watching something on a 4k TV, and now they have 5k. Is it really that noticeable.
***Off-Topic***
I know this was being used an analogy to illustrate a point, but to answer the question, as I am pretty passionate/interested in TV technology, NO. Even the difference between 1080p and 4K is irrelevant for 99% of people. Things like the TV tech itself (plasma, OLED, LCD) make a bigger difference, generally, due to them either being emissive (plasma/OLED) vs transmissive (LCD). Emissive displays are pretty much superior all around, outside of absolute peak brightness. When it comes to contrast, uniformity, motion, etc, plasma/OLED are much superior. But the majority of the population, who has no interest in actually learning about what aspects make for a quality picture, the marketing hype of look at this number (resolution) getting bigger works like a charm, which is fine (sort of). But no, their $500 4k TV is not even close to as good as the best TVs from nearly a decade ago, due to them failing in all the aforementioned categories that combine to present a nice picture. Resolution was easy to increase and easy to market towards the masses, so that's what they've been focusing on, outside of LG (and now others who are producing their own OLEDs by buying LG panels), who basically single-handedly kept emissive tech alive by mass-producing OLED panels as it transitioned from plasma to OLED. Here is a pretty decent general graph for viewing distance vs resolution:

As you can see, taking a 55" TV, as an example, you would have to be within 5' of the screen to get the full benefit of 4k (about 7' to start), let alone 8k. 5k is mostly in some monitors. 8k is the next step for TVs, which is even more irrelevant than the jump from 1080 to 4k, but oh well.

Last edited by BlackMamba89; 03-29-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:40 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah that is exactly what I meant, the human eye can't even register after a point, just like high fidelity sounds after a certain point, especially as our eyes and ears degenerate over time. I watched a good video on exactly what you are referring to and it is just manufacturers trying to get consumers to continue upgrading. Heck, I am fine with a DVD movie on the TV vs a Blue Ray. I can tell a difference, but it is still an enjoyable experience, if it is a good movie.

Originally Posted by BlackMamba89
***Off-Topic***
I know this was being used an analogy to illustrate a point, but to answer the question, as I am pretty passionate/interested in TV technology, NO. Even the difference between 1080p and 4K is irrelevant for 99% of people. Things like the TV tech itself (plasma, OLED, LCD) make a bigger difference, generally, due to them either being emissive (plasma/OLED) vs transmissive (LCD). Emissive displays are pretty much superior all around, outside of absolute peak brightness. When it comes to contrast, uniformity, motion, etc, plasma/OLED are much superior. But the majority of the population, who has no interest in actually learning about what aspects make for a quality picture, the marketing hype of look at this number (resolution) getting bigger works like a charm, which is fine (sort of). But no, their $500 4k TV is not even close to as good as the best TVs from nearly a decade ago, due to them failing in all the aforementioned categories that combine to present a nice picture. Resolution was easy to increase and easy to market towards the masses, so that's what they've been focusing on, outside of LG (and now others who are producing their own OLEDs by buying LG panels), who basically single-handedly kept emissive tech alive by mass-producing OLED panels as it transitioned from plasma to OLED. Here is a pretty decent general graph for viewing distance vs resolution:

As you can see, taking a 55" TV, as an example, you would have to be within 5' of the screen to get the full benefit of 4k (about 7' to start), let alone 8k. 5k is mostly in some monitors. 8k is the next step for TVs, which is even more irrelevant than the jump from 1080 to 4k, but oh well.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:45 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 968 Likes on 574 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

If you buy a C6 Z06 you WILL have engine issues. It is not a matter of if, but, when. You can get a LS2, LS3 C6 to C6 Z06 power levels with basic modifications.

Last edited by meadowz06; 03-29-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 776 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
If you buy a C6 Z06 you WILL have engine issues. It is not a matter of if, but, when. You can get a LS2, LS3 C6 to C6 Z06 power levels with basic modifications.
🙄 OP, fix the heads and you’ll be fine, after you’ve addressed that you’ll be gtg, no car is immune to issues and maintenance, the more power you make and the harder you push it.... more maintenance and monitoring needed, higher chance of breaking ****. Don’t be scared of the LS7. Some guys use the being “scared” or “issues” to justify buying a base or GS. I’d bet though those guys see a ZO6 and they think about that poor life choice lol. Now if you know your gonna boost it, different story. If you want a ZO6 get that **** bro! 🇺🇸
Old 03-29-2019, 09:15 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Funny, I like the look of the GS better than the Z06. I am probably in the minority with that statement. No doubt the Z06 is definitely the better overall package but I like the double gill look on the GS over the Z06 fenders. The Z06 front fenders look a ton like the base from the side. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Z06 and think it is an amazing car and not trying to justify my purchase as I don't need to. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier, if they made a Z06 with the Targa top I would have gone that route and worried about the heads. I guess they didn't because it probably would have eaten into the Z06 sales that year.

Definitely worth to get the largest NA Chevy has and as 73DBG said there does seem to be many that feel overly scared of them and those saying you can easily modify an LS2 or LS3 to get to the LS7 power, you can still modify the Z06, but honestly you really don't need to, but could do a cam at the same time as the heads. But bottom line, the ZO6, it is already there.

If you aren't worried about taking the top off, I would definitely go the Z06 route, spend the extra cash to get the heads done and call it a day.
The OP mentioned that he could buy the C5 now and do modifications now but if he went the C6 route the mods would have to wait. The Z06 is a bit more than a Grand Sport and definitely a base, but If you go with the Z06, and plan on tracking it I would make sure you put the 2k in the budget to get the heads done. But at that point you would be done and wouldn't need anything else to pretty much do everything you want.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:03 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 968 Likes on 574 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by 73DBG
🙄 OP, fix the heads and you’ll be fine, after you’ve addressed that you’ll be gtg, no car is immune to issues and maintenance, the more power you make and the harder you push it.... more maintenance and monitoring needed, higher chance of breaking ****. Don’t be scared of the LS7. Some guys use the being “scared” or “issues” to justify buying a base or GS. I’d bet though those guys see a ZO6 and they think about that poor life choice lol. Now if you know your gonna boost it, different story. If you want a ZO6 get that **** bro! 🇺🇸
I love the Z06. But the heads will go down. Just prepare for the heads to be fixed.

Quick Reply: C6 vs C6Z