C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door damaged/cracked from mechanic/paint shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door damaged/cracked from mechanic/paint shop

Gave my 08 C6 in to a shop to fix the right panel after I hit a pothole. The right panel had bent upwards and I didn’t notice, so when I opened the passenger side door it rubbed against the panel and created a small but noticeable crack.

Gave my car to a shop to fix, and noticed the door was cracked when I got it back. From this, the passenger side door doesn’t not open at all most of the time with the electronic door handle. Before all of this, the door had no problem in opening. Anyone have a similar experience and what can I do?
The way they painted it was very poor as well.

Pictures of before and after the crack resulted are attached.

Last edited by tjaved22; 03-27-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,820 Likes on 3,063 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would be contacting your body shop asap
Old 03-27-2019, 07:33 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Did you contact the shop and discuss the problem with them?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

This is obviously unacceptable. The only thing you can do is contact the body shop to fix.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
I would be contacting your body shop asap

ASAP!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

I did take it back to the shop, they denied doing it even after I showed them a picture I took of the car just a couple weeks earlier. The picture clearly showed there was no crack near the door handle prior to giving the car to them. I even showed them how the paint was not smooth on the panel and they said thats how they do it...

Not sure what else to do.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

^^Did you pay with credit card? Id dispute it and get the BBB involved and let the body shop know you will be doing that. It sounds like they are going to keep denying it.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:04 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

How much did they charge you?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:49 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by tjaved22
I did take it back to the shop, they denied doing it even after I showed them a picture I took of the car just a couple weeks earlier. The picture clearly showed there was no crack near the door handle prior to giving the car to them. I even showed them how the paint was not smooth on the panel and they said thats how they do it...

Not sure what else to do.
Make a sign up that says "Example of repairs done by ____________(Fill in the body shop name). Not a happy customer". Tape it to the door and draw an arrow pointing to the shoddy / incompetent work. Take a picture and go back to them and tell them you don't mind giving them free advertising by example. You could also park your vette in front of their shop with the sign on and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Who is their body man "Ray Charles" ???
Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 AM
Z06_Bandit
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap bro small world. I just called a body shop today to have this EXACT repair done to my 08Z. My car came with this on the door and I want to get around to fixing it. Unfortunately they said I will have to repaint the whole door and then possibly blend into rear quarter panel. $600-1000 job... Sigh. Let me know what you end up doing with yours. Not sure on when I am gonna have this repair done because I dont wanna spend that money right now. But will def have it done at some point this summer.

Here is a pic of mine, way worse than your's. Our cracks are literally reversed mine is a black Z with white cracks and yours is a white vette with black cracks lol.

Last edited by Z06_Bandit; 03-29-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

That's crazy! I did let the body shop know about the damages and they denied doing any of it. After some back and forth they refunded my $400 for the initial fix. I sent it in to get a crack fixed and got it back with worse cracks on the door handle and the passenger side door handle doesn't work most of the time. I watched videos on electronic door handles and it's mostly from debris build up, but for my car it was perfectly fine before I gave it to the body shop.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM
EBZ0Sick
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What body shop is this? Definitely want a name so that other members stay away from them.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Bandit

Looks horrible, wondering HTH those cracks even got there & that bad.
Given it's black $1K probably isn't all that bad considering they want to do entire door & blend some back.
One hellova lot of work, there.
Anything less than perfect they'd have to deal w/ you, and you wouldn't be happy.

Brake ducts & surrounds are chewed to hell on my '08 w/ 62K. If not for Apsis I'd be doubly screwed.
IF anyone I could trust quoted me 1 large to repaint just those 2 areas I'd be one happy camper.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:29 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Looks horrible, wondering HTH those cracks even got there & that bad.
Given it's black $1K probably isn't all that bad considering they want to do entire door & blend some back.
One hellova lot of work, there.
Anything less than perfect they'd have to deal w/ you, and you wouldn't be happy.

Brake ducts & surrounds are chewed to hell on my '08 w/ 62K. If not for Apsis I'd be doubly screwed.
IF anyone I could trust quoted me 1 large to repaint just those 2 areas I'd be one happy camper.
My question is how could they fix those cracks without replacing the door? Those cracks must mean the composite material that the door is made of is cracked. How long will a repair last that just "covers" up the cracks with a layer of primer and paint.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
My question is how could they fix those cracks without replacing the door? Those cracks must mean the composite material that the door is made of is cracked. How long will a repair last that just "covers" up the cracks with a layer of primer and paint.
Good question, have to further assess to see how deep damage goes/is.
Might be no more than door took one hellova hit only cracking paint, must be some story behind that.

Paint flexes some w/ our composite bodies but if hit hard enough it cracks.
I've small spider cracks on front facia and never 'hit' anything except rocks kicked-up sometime in the past.
The stuff cracks.

IF lucky it's only paint, remove paint/refinish and it's as good as new.
Providing, shop knows what they're doing.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Make a sign up that says "Example of repairs done by ____________(Fill in the body shop name). Not a happy customer". Tape it to the door and draw an arrow pointing to the shoddy / incompetent work. Take a picture and go back to them and tell them you don't mind giving them free advertising by example. You could also park your vette in front of their shop with the sign on and see what happens.
A. If you cannot prove it, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit that you will have to defend, and will likely lose.
B. If you threaten someone with a false claim, with the expectation that they will compensate you, your are breaking the law.

Other than that, it's a great idea....

Get notified of new replies

To Door damaged/cracked from mechanic/paint shop

Quick Reply: Door damaged/cracked from mechanic/paint shop