C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Z06 - possible AC bearing noise? Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2008 Z06 - possible AC bearing noise? Need help!

Lately I’ve noticed a noise coming from the engine bay. It only happens when the engine is dropping revs, between 1500 and 2500 or so. It sounds like about a half second of whining/groaning and is accompanied by a weak vibrating sensation. It kind of builds in volume before cutting out. It ONLY happens when the AC is on, and as far as I can tell it happens under all ambient/engine temperatures and conditions. To hear it, though, I have to have the windows open and it has to be relatively quiet in the area.

From the research I have conducted, I suspect it is either the A/C tensioner/pulley, or the A/C clutch, bearings, or compressor. Can anyone confirm? The A/C still blows ice cold and works as normal.

I have an aftermarket warranty on the car that has already proven extremely worthwhile in taking care of past minor repairs, and I only have a $100 deductible – so I’m really not super concerned about the cost/extensiveness of the repairs needed.

My question is – it will be about a couple weeks until I can take the car in to a dealer (probably 3 weeks or so) and the car is a daily. Will the parts hold on until then without grenading and causing further damage? Should I drive with the A/C off as much as possible to avoid this?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Usually an idler pulley will make a consistant noise so I think you are on the right track with the compressor.The way you describe it sounds like the clutch on the A/C.Worst case is it locks up and starts squelling and finally shreds the belt.You could take the belt off until you get it fully checked out if you have any doubts.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

You could also just hit the snowflake button so that the little icon appears, that will turn the ac off. I would have it check out real good, if the compressor goes bad internally it has the potential to ruin everything associated with the system with metal particles. Replacement of a compressor is one of the most expensive components to have done, so since you have the warranty, best to have it looked at ASAP.

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-15-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

^^^^
idler/tensioners are notorious for making noise and failing. Or pull the belt off and try again

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 - possible AC bearing noise? Need help!

Quick Reply: 2008 Z06 - possible AC bearing noise? Need help!