C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline Whine Under Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:30 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default Driveline Whine Under Deceleration

Did a search and found only one thread on the topic in the past 8 years. My car has a deceleration whine in the driveline somewhere. I assume it's in the rear end. Will do it in any gear, but tends to be more noticeable in higher gears just because it takes more time slowing down. Let's say I take an exit at 70 or so and leave off the throttle, in a straight line for .3 miles, there's a fairly pronounced vibration and it's getting worse. I have not been driving the car much, and won't again till an alignment appt on Friday morning. Thought I'd ask if anyone here had any ideas of things to check out first.

Only happens under decel, under load there's no noise.
Shifter does vibrate and shake a little. I don't drive the car a lot but it appears to me it's getting worse. I don't recall it doing it for the last couple thousand miles.
No leaks of any sort in the garage, floor is clean.
Does it in 4th just as much as any other gear, leading me to think differential and not trans.
Car is a 13 427 26k miles. Factory stock.
:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:46 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

My 2007 does this too. I changed the diff fluid to the new spec and also changed the trans fluid. No change. Since it has been doing this for at least 5 years and 40,000 miles, and the car performs perfectly, I don't worry about it anymore.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Vibration and a whining sound? Probably 2 separate issues perhaps, but only thing that comes to mind with a vibration is the torque tube shaft couplers. I hear a slight whine in my car also when on the highway letting off the gas, but I figure considering that with the lack of sound deadening, this maybe normal.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:52 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

^^^ Ok, well, I'll try to be a little less paranoid then. I don't recall this ever before. I'd say it's in the last couple months it began.

When I get it back out I'll try to get a video w/sound.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

this whine have to come from the diff.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was getting the "whine" on decel but no vibration. Mine was due to a loose right rear axle nut. Once I replaced the nut and torqued it properly everything was normal again. Easy to check yours and new ones are cheap.

Last edited by cadyshac; 04-16-2019 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
extrapilot (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cadyshac
I was getting the "whine" on decel but no vibration. Mine was due to a loose right rear axle nut. Once I replaced the nut and torqued it properly everything was normal again. Easy to check yours and new ones are cheap.
Interesting, the OP may have a axle bearing going, since he reports a vibration with the noise, or it's that loose.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Check your pinion bearing.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 PM
rpdufour
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue on my 2013. I bought it last August thru a private sale. Noticed the whine on deceleration on the way home. While under acceleration no issues.Never heard it during the test drive. maybe because he had the top off and the radio up.Had it checked at the dealer and it was the differential as some people have mentioned. $2700 thru the dealer to replace. Good luck to you, I hope it turns out to be something else
Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Is this more common on the right side? Or is this something I should check both sides?
Originally Posted by extrapilot
Interesting, the OP may have a axle bearing going, since he reports a vibration with the noise, or it's that loose.
Hmmm...
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Doesn't sound like as much fun as an axle nut.
Originally Posted by rpdufour
Had the same issue on my 2013. I bought it last August thru a private sale. Noticed the whine on deceleration on the way home. While under acceleration no issues.Never heard it during the test drive. maybe because he had the top off and the radio up.Had it checked at the dealer and it was the differential as some people have mentioned. $2700 thru the dealer to replace. Good luck to you, I hope it turns out to be something else
Well mine would be restricted to just the parts cost but still I'm thinking it won't be cheap. I'm almost getting immune to multi thousand-dollar bills on this car. LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

The keepers on both axle nuts look like they're just fine. Neither axle appears to be loose with the vehicle jacked up. I can't notice any noise just spinning the rear wheels by hand either.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Old 04-16-2019, 07:58 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
ANY bearing causing noise would happen whenever that bearing is in motion, would NOT be dependent upon load or coast condition...………….

It MAY be a rear axle issue, does it make the noise if coasting in neutral while coasting down in speed?

Also, if it was a gear noise issue, either drive(loaded lightly) or coast(no load) it would happen within a 7 to 10 mph window, something like 45 - 55 or 55 - 45 and not constantly while lightly loading(drive) or no load(coast)

Check the easy items mentioned by others, if possible drive it and get a recording to give those who may respond something more to hear rather than have them provide a lot of useless speculation.

Best of luck, and hope it is something small versus a major concern.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
The keepers on both axle nuts look like they're just fine. Neither axle appears to be loose with the vehicle jacked up. I can't notice any noise just spinning the rear wheels by hand either.
if it were the wheel end hub bearings, the noise may decrease while driving and making quick, sharp left and right turns as it would reduce/apply loads to those bearing individually during those maneuvers
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My car is just a base w/Z51, I am guessing the axle nut keepers are a Z06 or 427 thing? I hope you figure it out & it's a cheap fix.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:07 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rkj427
It MAY be a rear axle issue, does it make the noise if coasting in neutral while coasting down in speed?
No, without decel pressure on the driveline, it goes away.

Also, if it was a gear noise issue, either drive(loaded lightly) or coast(no load) it would happen within a 7 to 10 mph window, something like 45 - 55 or 55 - 45 and not constantly while lightly loading(drive) or no load(coast)

Check the easy items mentioned by others, if possible drive it and get a recording to give those who may respond something more to hear rather than have them provide a lot of useless speculation.

Best of luck, and hope it is something small versus a major concern.
As I mentioned, I won't be driving it again till Friday. I'm not super concerned just yet, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about it either.
My car is just a base w/Z51, I am guessing the axle nut keepers are a Z06 or 427 thing? I hope you figure it out & it's a cheap fix.
427. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

My 07 has had the whine since I got it over two years ago... assuming yours is M6, correct? As with HBsurfer, I've accepted that it's a semi-normal item, even after changing diff fluid (old fluid was fairly clean). I'm sure it's related to backlash between ring/pinion gears, & maybe just .0.00001" greater than spec, which should be ok for the length of time that any of us will run our cars...

Get notified of new replies

To Driveline Whine Under Deceleration

Old 04-17-2019, 05:58 PM
invadermoose
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Similar issue here. No one has been able to figure it out. All I ever hear from this forum is "change the diff fluid". Its funny going into other threads and seeing that recommendation no matter what the problem is. You could post a thread saying "Every time I open my fuel door the car howls like a wild dog" and people would tell you to change the diff fluid. lol
Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by invadermoose
Similar issue here. No one has been able to figure it out. All I ever hear from this forum is "change the diff fluid". Its funny going into other threads and seeing that recommendation no matter what the problem is. You could post a thread saying "Every time I open my fuel door the car howls like a wild dog" and people would tell you to change the diff fluid. lol

Is your car also a MN6?, Mine is and just maybe the trans gears are whining some.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
No, without decel pressure on the driveline, it goes away.

As I mentioned, I won't be driving it again till Friday. I'm not super concerned just yet, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about it either.
427. Thanks.
When you drive it Friday be sure to check this: does it make the noise if coasting in neutral while coasting down in speed?

If you place the vehicle in neutral, and depress the clutch it would take the transmission out of the possibility of being the source of the noise.

Quick Reply: Driveline Whine Under Deceleration