C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Frame repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've done aluminum welds that look today exactly the way they did back in the 90s... 6061-T6 mast parts on a boat. They're just as strong today as they were then, and I really don't see why this would be a big deal... Yes, it's a lot of work, and you'd need to get it out where you could work on it to do a perfect job. (or at least I would). But the material they use on the frame is a weldable alloy, why all the concern here? That's a serious question? Am I missing something? Does GM not weld on those very frames? Surely they don't heat treat and age after assembly, do they?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I've done aluminum welds that look today exactly the way they did back in the 90s... 6061-T6 mast parts on a boat. They're just as strong today as they were then, and I really don't see why this would be a big deal... Yes, it's a lot of work, and you'd need to get it out where you could work on it to do a perfect job. (or at least I would). But the material they use on the frame is a weldable alloy, why all the concern here? That's a serious question? Am I missing something? Does GM not weld on those very frames? Surely they don't heat treat and age after assembly, do they?
LOL.... But the cost may not justify the repair....esp. when dealing with insurance companies. As to your question of "Whats all the concern here".....to many people relying on internet information and opinions..........

Last edited by windyC6; 04-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by windyC6
LOL.... But the cost may not justify the repair....esp. when dealing with insurance companies. As to your question of "Whats all the concern here".....to many people relying on internet information and opinions..........
I did a complete driveline and suspension job on my C5, so, I don't find this to be a huge job really. Ok, yes, you need to disassemble the car and put it back together. So, do that work yourself and have someone who knows how to weld it, weld it.

Maybe I'm just not scared of big jobs. If I decide to do something, I simply get on it and get it done.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I did a complete driveline and suspension job on my C5, so, I don't find this to be a huge job really. Ok, yes, you need to disassemble the car and put it back together. So, do that work yourself and have someone who knows how to weld it, weld it.

Maybe I'm just not scared of big jobs. If I decide to do something, I simply get on it and get it done.
Understood. I'm the same way as i've gotten just about every tool needed to do just about any job within reason. I do find that as I get older sometimes I just don't feel like doing it myself. Esp. when its that first time fix or repair. You know the ones that take you about 1/3 the time to do the second time around.

Quick Reply: Z06 Frame repair