C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar total Disconnect...is fuse alone enoungh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:22 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default OnStar total Disconnect...is fuse alone enoungh?

I want to Totally Disconnect my Onstar. Reason because I have heard numerous times it has a parasitic drain on battery and I have been having battery issues past few years now. NEVER used Onstar/no Bluetooth needed. Car is 2008, Z51 coupe. Canadian Car.

I have done MANY searches, seen a few where it says to disconnect 3 connections (but not the 4th) I could not find those at all though, under passenger side. My car is Canadian so possibly in a different location?
I pulled the 10k ONSTAR Fuse. Not sure if that is enough to totally stop power drain or not. Don't want to get stranded with another dead battery, especially for a feature I don't use/want/asked for.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes pulling the fuse is enough to totally disconnect OnStar. The module itself is located in the passenger side floor storage compartment on the passenger side on the other side of the carpet liner. If you have a Z06 the battery is in that compartment and the module is located under the dashboard. Your battery is probably past its prime. I use a battery maintainer during storage but have gone up to 3 weeks without it and was still able to start the car.

Originally Posted by corrado
I want to Totally Disconnect my Onstar. Reason because I have heard numerous times it has a parasitic drain on battery and I have been having battery issues past few years now. NEVER used Onstar/no Bluetooth needed. Car is 2008, Z51 coupe. Canadian Car.

I have done MANY searches, seen a few where it says to disconnect 3 connections (but not the 4th) I could not find those at all though, under passenger side. My car is Canadian so possibly in a different location?
I pulled the 10k ONSTAR Fuse. Not sure if that is enough to totally stop power drain or not. Don't want to get stranded with another dead battery, especially for a feature I don't use/want/asked for.
The following users liked this post:
corrado (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Several years ago, I posted a solution for a complete removal of the hardware, that is easily and quickly reversible. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...al-method.html
The OnStar box location is in one of 3 places, although the antenna is always on the windshield.
corrado (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Not to mention the data collecting / selling vulnerability. I declined the "free" OnStar trial in both my Vette and the Silverado because I'm not handing this information over to them. First thing I did was disabled OnStar in both.

This is BIG business for automakers. Give it a few more years and EVERY single car on the road will be data-mined 24/7.
corrado (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:15 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ok thank you guys!
I have already pulled the fuse.
My 08 is on it's 4th Battery I believe. All AC Delcos. First one lasted 5 years, very last one about 13 months. Perhaps Battery quality is just going downbhill, (like many other things!), or I may have gotten a weak one. Car is a driver, and no other added electronics so trying to rid any potential parasitic power draws.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar total Disconnect...is fuse alone enoungh?

Quick Reply: OnStar total Disconnect...is fuse alone enoungh?