C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 - Deadening & Road Noise Elimination Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Default 2005 C6 - Deadening & Road Noise Elimination Project

After installing coil overs, found that the road noise coming from the rear cabin was just too much and not being able to talk to the passenger comfortably was going to be an issue.......it seemed moving the weight of the body from the leaf springs and lower a-arms brought more sound into the cabin through the shock mounts.....could be wrong but that is my deduction.

Products Used: Second Skin - Damplifier Pro & Damplifier CLD, VetteNuts - C6 Corvette Premium Insulation Kit, Home Depot - Useal Aluminum Foil self adhesive tape for the under the wheel tub CLD.& this is a must > Amazon - ROLINGER Car Sound Deadening Rollers (narrow & wide premium rollers for the CLD)

This was a lot of work, took my time and worked on it during all of my spare time, all the plastic panels had cdl installed before being reinstalled - I have to say, this was well worth the effort, the inside cabin is quiet and now that I updated the front and rear speakers when I had all the plastic out with JL 525x & 350x Evolution speakers, the sound quality is a lot better.....only down side is now my wife wants to talk all the time, so now I can just turn up the tunes......lmao!!!

Ready to go on jack stands again.....

Buck Naked and Ready

40lb box of Second Skin B-Stock, Damplifier (front) Damplifier Pro (back) total project done with the 40 pound & D-Pro 30 sqft box. With a little left over.

Rear all done with Damplifier Pro - every nook and cranny

The Rear & Inner doors were all completed with the 40 lb Box......Outer panels doors & cockpit done with the 30 sqft box of Damplifier Pro

Front Doors - didn't want to keep the rubber door access covers - made custom mdf covers & had to modify the inner door panels to fit (nothing like a razor sharp brisket knife when you need one) - used some 8/32 speed nuts to mount the MDF panels after adding weather stripping and covered with Damplifier.....came out awesome!!

Outside door panels covered using Damplifier Pro & Vettenuts door panel kit

Custom MDF access panel held in with 4 8/32 screws and speed nuts

Covered access panel and inside door panel with Damplifier everywhere I could put it.

Brisket Knife for the modification to trim the inner door panel to fit with the new access covers. Had to trim this bit off.

Nothing like a flat razor sharp trim.

Mod done....panel fits perfect now!!

Front Cockpit done with Damplifier Pro CDL

Drivers Side

Rear Panel

Passenger Side

Finished the whole car off by installing the VetteNut Premium Insulation Kit. the fit was perfect!!!

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - Driver Side

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - Passenger Side

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - Driver's Side

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - rear

Last edited by BMF_C6; 10-19-2021 at 04:48 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by BMF_C6:
4SUMERZ (04-23-2019), ChiefBoats (05-04-2019), EthanHQ (09-18-2019), FlyAndFight (05-06-2019), Frantz (09-29-2019), PushrodV8 (04-23-2019), Richard G. (04-23-2019), SanDiegoBert (12-13-2023), SugarMouth (03-20-2022), unclecookie (04-19-2021), zaragoza (05-07-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Nice job. I also installed the VetteNuts kit. Once I had everything removed I asked myself, "What have I got myself into"?! But really not that bad and worth the effort.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 04-22-2019 at 10:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vet Interested:
4SUMERZ (04-23-2019), BMF_C6 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wow, that's a terrific job you did there. I will definitely save this page for future reference when and if I decide to do this.
Thanks for the right up.

Last edited by SixAddict; 04-22-2019 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BMF_C6 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:40 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

That’s a big job, just did it myself over the winter. That and the stereo upgrade took me about 6 weekends. I like the material you used vs what I did, mine is all shiny. Your attention to detail is fantastic. Congrats on a terrific, tedious, time consuming job.
BMF_C6 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 AM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt
That’s a big job, just did it myself over the winter. That and the stereo upgrade took me about 6 weekends. I like the material you used vs what I did, mine is all shiny. Your attention to detail is fantastic. Congrats on a terrific, tedious, time consuming job.
That is going to be my next project is upgrading the sound system to a quality HU along with some top of the line comps, subs and amps like I have in my truck which is my daily driver.

I don't have any noise level data to share but the ride comfort as far as sound levels. road noise and such are noticeably lower and makes riding enclosed very enjoyable.

One thing I did learn is the air vent behind the rear passenger side speaker actually allows a lot of noise into the cabin, it consists of fairly large opening with only light weight rubber flaps that acts like one way check valves. I actually removed this vent when doing this project, covered the lower half of this vent blocking it and covered the top half with with cld that had 4 ~3/4" holes to allow the vent air to flow outward. When I completed this project and got everything in place I thoroughly tested closing the doors and rear hatch making sure that there was enough area in this vent to allow the pressure to release..........I can't tell you how much of a difference this has made to the sound level coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. Believe me, I was ready to remove this mod if there was any down side but I can say without hesitation that it works like a champ and the sound level coming from it was decreased considerably! The picture above doesn't show it because it was done while doing the under the wheel tub cdl, when you are able to remove the vent when you have the wheel liner pulled.

Last edited by BMF_C6; 10-19-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF_C6
That is going to be my next project is upgrading the sound system to a quality HU along with some top of the line comps, subs and amps like I have in my truck which is my daily driver.

I don't have any noise level data to share but the ride comfort as far as sound levels. road noise and such are noticeably lower and makes riding enclosed very enjoyable.

One thing I did learn is the air vent behind the rear passenger side speaker actually allows a lot of noise into the cabin, it consists of fairly large opening with only light weight rubber flaps that acts like one way check valves. I actually removed this vent when doing this project, covered the lower half of this vent blocking it and covered the top half with with cdl that had 4 ~3/4" holes to allow the vent air to flow outward. When I completed this project and got everything in place I thoroughly tested closing the doors and rear hatch making sure that there was enough area in this vent to allow the pressure to release..........I can't tell you how much of a difference this has made to the sound level coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. Believe me, I was ready to remove this mod if there was any down side but I can say without hesitation that it works like a champ and the sound level coming from it was decreased considerably! The picture above doesn't show it because it was done while doing the under the wheel tub cdl, when you are able to remove the vent when you have the wheel liner pulled.
Great job on the insulation. I did the same tears ago for the same reason since we use our C6 for long road trips, it's nice to be able to communicate withot screaming at each other. Your attention to detail is exemplary!

I went one step further and added the rear partition, and top hatch partition to block all noise coming from the rear hatch area. It also enhances the rear speakers by jutting to sound frontward instead of that big cavity. The divider partition is convex so as to mirror the targa top curve so it can still be stowed with those partitions in place.

BMF_C6 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:48 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Where in Houston are you? I'd love to go for a ride to hear the difference first hand. My car is higher mileage and the noise is getting to me.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 AM
PushrodV8
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

BMF,
Great post, thanks for sharing. Motivates me to do likewise with my C6.

Do you ride on run flats or summer tires?

Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would do different?

My main goals are noise attenuation and reduce the heat in the center console. Stereo update to follow as well, the stock Bose just don't cut it for me.

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:09 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

congrats you are a very talented men.
BMF_C6 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Where did you get that partition setup?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Great job on the insulation. I did the same tears ago for the same reason since we use our C6 for long road trips, it's nice to be able to communicate withot screaming at each other. Your attention to detail is exemplary!

I went one step further and added the rear partition, and top hatch partition to block all noise coming from the rear hatch area. It also enhances the rear speakers by jutting to sound frontward instead of that big cavity. The divider partition is convex so as to mirror the targa top curve so it can still be stowed with those partitions in place.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hirohawa

Thanks
I first saw this partition set up in a FS thread by CF member Jost6453. I reached out to him for some details and he was more than willing to help me out.
I built my own, using his instructions, but made some changes and additions for my purposes.
I have a DIY PDF of the process if anyone is interested, with dimensions, etc.
I belive the PDF is too large to load up to the post.
PM me your e-mail address and I can send it out.

Total cost was approx. $100.00 for materials including the carpeting that covers both patirions from top to bottom on both sides.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-23-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
I have a DIY PDF of the process if anyone is interested, with dimensions, etc.
I belive the PDF is too large to load up to the post.
You already posted it here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599177031
Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimijam
Thanks,
I may of been thinking of the CC forum where I tried to insert and it wouldn't let me.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-24-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 AM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by PushrodV8
BMF,
Great post, thanks for sharing. Motivates me to do likewise with my C6.

Do you ride on run flats or summer tires?

Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would do different?

My main goals are noise attenuation and reduce the heat in the center console. Stereo update to follow as well, the stock Bose just don't cut it for me.

Thanks again.
No run flats - all Michelin PSS
Fronts - 265/35 R18
Rears - 345/30 R19

So far there is nothing I would have done different, the car is so much quieter & solid now. So much so that I am hearing every little sound now. As far as the heat - the VetteNuts insulation kit will take car of that......upgrade to the premium kit for added sound attenuation.

The Bose system still sucks though, just adding the new speakers could only help so much if you know what I mean.........

Last edited by BMF_C6; 04-24-2019 at 09:21 AM.
PushrodV8 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 AM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Where in Houston are you? I'd love to go for a ride to hear the difference first hand. My car is higher mileage and the noise is getting to me.
PM Sent
Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF_C6
After installing coil overs, found that the road noise coming from the rear cabin was just too much and not being able to talk to the passenger comfortably was going to be an issue.......it seemed moving the weight of the body from the leaf springs and lower a-arms brought more sound into the cabin through the shock mounts.....could be wrong but that is my deduction.

Products Used: Second Skin - Damplifier Pro & Damplifier CDL, VetteNuts - C6 Corvette Premium Insulation Kit, Home Depot - Useal Aluminum Foil self adhesive tape for the under the wheel tub CDL.& this is a must > Amazon - ROLINGER Car Sound Deadening Rollers (narrow & wide premium rollers for the CDL)

This was a lot of work, took my time and worked on it during all of my spare time, all the plastic panels had cdl installed before being reinstalled - I have to say, this was well worth the effort, the inside cabin is quiet and now that I updated the front and rear speakers when I had all the plastic out with JL 525x & 350x Evolution speakers, the sound quality is a lot better.....only down side is now my wife wants to talk all the time, so now I can just turn up the tunes......lmao!!!

Ready to go on jack stands again.....

Buck Naked and Ready

40lb box of Second Skin B-Stock, Damplifier (front) Damplifier Pro (back) total project done with the 40 pound & D-Pro 30 sqft box. With a little left over.

The Rear & Inner doors were all completed with the 40 lb Box......Outer panels doors & cockpit done with the 30 sqft box of Damplifier Pro

Front Doors - didn't want to keep the rubber door access covers - made custom mdf covers & had to modify the inner door panels to fit (nothing like a razor sharp brisket knife when you need one) - used some 8/32 speed nuts to mount the MDF panels after adding weather stripping and covered with Damplifier.....came out awesome!!

Outside door panels covered using Damplifier Pro & Vettenuts door panel kit

Custom MDF access panel held in with 4 8/32 screws and speed nuts

Covered access panel and inside door panel with Damplifier everywhere I could put it.

Brisket Knife for the modification to trim the inner door panel to fit with the new access covers. Had to trim this bit off.

Nothing like a flat razor sharp trim.

Mod done....panel fits perfect now!!

Front Cockpit done with Damplifier Pro CDL

Drivers Side

Rear Panel

Passenger Side

Finished the whole car off by installing the VetteNut Premium Insulation Kit. the fit was perfect!!!

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - Driver Side

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - Passenger Side

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - Driver's Side

VetteNuts Premium Kit Installed - rear
BMF_C6,

Man, that looks great. I about about to replace my front and rear speakers and have decided to add the Second Skin while I have the panels off. I'm now thinking about doing the VetteNuts Premium insulation kit too. But, gotta get ready to make myself take out the entire cockpit.....wasn't originally planning on doing that....

Have a few questions:

- Was it a really tight fit to get all the gear back in there with the Second Skin layer plus the VetteNuts insulation layer?
- You mention all the plastic panels had CLD on them as well....did you just stick the Second Skin Dampler on the backs of the panels? Would this include the door panels and the rear speaker panels and the halo panels?
- After doing it, do you recommend both, Second Skin and VetteNuts or will just 1 layer of either be a noticeable difference in sound/noise reduction?
- What were the most difficult parts of the process?
- What other advice would you provide to someone going to do this project?

Thanks,

Barry
Old 04-26-2019, 01:45 PM
kenstout
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask where you got that partition from? Looks nice, I just ordered one from southern car parts with the tray.
Never mind I saw your answer a bit further down.
Nice partition!!

Last edited by kenstout; 04-26-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: was already answered

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 - Deadening & Road Noise Elimination Project

Old 04-26-2019, 02:57 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by TripleB5832
BMF_C6,

Man, that looks great. I about about to replace my front and rear speakers and have decided to add the Second Skin while I have the panels off. I'm now thinking about doing the VetteNuts Premium insulation kit too. But, gotta get ready to make myself take out the entire cockpit.....wasn't originally planning on doing that....

Thanks,

Barry
- Was it a really tight fit to get all the gear back in there with the Second Skin layer plus the VetteNuts insulation layer?

When I did the SecondSkin, I made sure not to cover the areas where the plastic panel connectors snapped back into the body, some things were tight but everything went back together with a little work. As far as the VetteNuts insulation kit, it fit like a glove and was very easy to install. On the inside door panels I used stick on velco that I put on the back part of the VN panels and positioned them in place and stuck the precut insulate VN panels to the secondskin was already installed to the outside door panels. (hope this makes sense)

- You mention all the plastic panels had CLD on them as well....did you just stick the Second Skin Dampler on the backs of the panels? Would this include the door panels and the rear speaker panels and the halo panels?

I did not put any Secondskin to the door panels that come off, I did cld over the custom mdf panels and everywhere I could on the inside of the door (except where the door panel snapped back onto the door). The outside door pane (inside the cavity and behind the window when it is down) is all done in D-Pro with the Vettenuts precut panels velco'd to it. As far as the mdf panel, I had to cut the door panel styrofoam because that part fit into an indention of the original rubber cover, and when installing the door panel, the electrical connector that also fit into an indention had to be unsnapped from the door panel and I used a strip of cdl to stick it onto the plastic during installing the door panel ----- worked like a champ!

As far as the other plastic panels .... halo panel, B panels and some of the other plastic panels......I just put small squares of cld on parts that were open - the old saying that really you only need to cover ~25-50% for cld to work is what I did. Just enough to really take the resonance out of each without adding a ton of weight the them or making it where I couldn't put them back on........

The only thing that I really noticed was the rear cabin carpet and getting the brackets that hold the targa top on the rear wheel wells.....I had to modify them a little to get them to snap back into place but it wasn't that big of a deal........

- After doing it, do you recommend both, Second Skin and VetteNuts or will just 1 layer of either be a noticeable difference in sound/noise reduction?

I never drove it after the installing the Second Skin without the VetteNuts insulate, I can say that I am very very please with the outcome and I am glad that I bit the bullet, took my time and did both. On the Second Skin website you will see that they sell a C6 kit, I chose to go with the B-Stock 40lb box that comes with both D-Pro (thicker) & Damplifier (which is thinner) some whole sheets and some that are cut but it doesn't matter cause you are going to cut them anyways. Now one thing about SecondSkin is there is ~ 1/4" of just foil on the sides. I took the time to trim every sheet (it's really easy with a good set of scissors). Matter in fact - all I used was scissors and the two rollers ---- I have to say, having a wide roller and the skinny roller ---- I used the hell out of the skinny roller--- a lot more than I did the wide one!!!

- What were the most difficult parts of the process?

Getting my fat *** in and out of the car....lol - well I did have my car in the air and on jack stands sitting on the four pucks to make it easier to work on and also I removed the rear wheel liners and used the Home Depot foil covered self sticking asphalt lined flashing (saw on on a post from here) to do the underneath the wheel liner cld.

The hardest part is to just stay patient and taking you time and laying it out and rolling it down......as far as the VetteNuts kit.........it was a breeze - precut and fit perfect and then they give you some extra that you can put where you want.

- What other advice would you provide to someone going to do this project?

Take your time, think about where things go back and do it right.......... It did make the car very comfortable but the only draw back is I hear everything now......my next thing is to try and quieten down that dang targa top.....going to do the heat shrink on the pins and silicon grease today after work....lol

Last edited by BMF_C6; 10-19-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:54 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Looks great! I did mine last winter while the car was out of service for a while. this is one of those projects that you have no option but to finish it once you have started. Just take your time and do it right the first time, trust me you don't want to take everything apart and do it again.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:22 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Looks great! I did mine last winter while the car was out of service for a while. this is one of those projects that you have no option but to finish it once you have started. Just take your time and do it right the first time, trust me you don't want to take everything apart and do it again.
Exactly!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 - Deadening & Road Noise Elimination Project