C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Shifter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 AM
ab_99
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A6 Shifter Cable

Has anybody here dealt with a faulty shifter cable ? If so, what problems did you run across with ? And what symptoms did you guys have before it went out, if any ?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Three are few issue. Grommet breaking at the transmission or at the shifter and then there is the actually cable breaking. I had the grommet break at the shifter. That seems to be the most common issue. Many simply buy a complete cable assembly and simply replace it. You cannot get the grommets from Chevrolet dealer, they only have the cable assembly. The grommet can be bought in a package of different size at most major auto parts stores. I forget the number , but google shifter cable repair for C6 and you will find a lot of info.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:26 AM
ab_99
Cruising

Originally Posted by BWF07
Three are few issue. Grommet breaking at the transmission or at the shifter and then there is the actually cable breaking. I had the grommet break at the shifter. That seems to be the most common issue. Many simply buy a complete cable assembly and simply replace it. You cannot get the grommets from Chevrolet dealer, they only have the cable assembly. The grommet can be bought in a package of different size at most major auto parts stores. I forget the number , but google shifter cable repair for C6 and you will find a lot of info.
Thank you for your input ! Will start getting into it after work I believe mine went out last night had to tow my Corvette home 👎🏻
Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ab_99
Has anybody here dealt with a faulty shifter cable ? If so, what problems did you run across with ? And what symptoms did you guys have before it went out, if any ?
I only have 20K on our 2007 and still have the original cable. I will probably replace it as insurance in the next year or so. The shift cable has plastic ends that are the weak spot and subject to deterioration from heat. If I could make a suggestion that will reduce the possibility of being stranded and needing a tow, always apply your parking brake firmly when parking on a hill and let the car roll into the applied parking brake before putting it into park. If the car is allowed to roll into the applied park brake pawl in the transmission it will bind the mechanism and can require enough force to break the plastic ends when trying to release the park brake pawl.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I replaced the grommets on both ends of mine due to all the problems with them reported on here. The nylon grommet gets brittle from heat and age and then cracks and falls apart. You can buy a whole new cable, or just replace the grommets on the ends. The Doorman kit 14041 or 14055 are what you need if you want to replace the grommet. Watch video below at about the 6:10 mark.

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-24-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by ab_99
You have no warning. When mine broke I had pulled into a parking space and went to put it in park and felt no resistance . The shifter went up and down free. I had watched the video and had the part and the tools with me and it was about an hours work for me. If you can take the cover off you can pull the cable to get it in gear to drive it home.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Retired 2006
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced my cable on my 2006 last weekend, I replaced it just because everything I read, plus it's cheaper than a tow truck . I replaced it from underneath and after dropping exhaust and 36 bolts on torque tube cover cable was very easy to replace. Cable was $36 from Dealer,
Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I replaced the front grommet and snapped the cable in the process. Just towed it to the dealer for replacement. I think it was $390 including a new cable, labor and tax.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:43 AM
ab_99
Cruising

Thank you all for your insight on this, I had the car towed to a buddies shop since it’s to hot out here in California for me to bother going under, buddy put it on a lift found the cable was disconnected in about a two minute search, will be ready on Friday thank you all !!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:46 AM
ab_99
Cruising

Originally Posted by myredhead1
I replaced the front grommet and snapped the cable in the process. Just towed it to the dealer for replacement. I think it was $390 including a new cable, labor and tax.
That sucks man ! First thing that came to mind was that I blew my transmission, so after finding out it’s just my cable I am very relieved !
The following users liked this post:
myredhead1 (04-25-2019)
Old 07-12-2023, 04:33 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I replaced the grommets on both ends of mine due to all the problems with them reported on here. The nylon grommet gets brittle from heat and age and then cracks and falls apart. You can buy a whole new cable, or just replace the grommets on the ends. The Doorman kit 14041 or 14055 are what you need if you want to replace the grommet. Watch video below at about the 6:10 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uthxAAHG0Rs
How difficult is it to replace the grommet on the Trans end??? Do you have to drop the exhaust to get your hands in there to do the work?
This past weekend I got stuck due to grommet/bushing failure in the console. Now I want piece of mind and would like to know how difficult it is to the access & replace the connection grommet/bushing at the transmission.
I don't have access to a lift and if the exhaust and other things need to be dropped & disconnected then it will have to go to the dealer.

I'm really pissed at GM. Cheap, inferior Chinese parts everywhere in the C6 makes for one headache after another. Raise the MSRP $1,000 and put long-lasting quality parts in critical areas --- like the shifter

Old 07-12-2023, 05:25 PM
Retired 2006
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It’s so much easier to remove the cable end from the transmission than at the shifter.I didn’t drop the exhaust, I jacked rear up and supported it with ramps to get under it. One problem I did have was finding neutral/ park, after replacing the cable, next time I’ll mark the position, just a pain doing small adjustments, crawling out, crawling in the car, ect.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:55 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 379 Posts

It is a tight fit with large hands but still doable without dropping the exhaust. Be patient & work slowly. Only needed to lift the rear (used jack stands) to do the job.

GD
Old 07-12-2023, 08:51 PM
js78
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I changed the bushing under the shifter myself
paid a transmission guy to do the transmission side last week
Old 07-13-2023, 11:38 AM
TastyWheat
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just replaced my cable

I just did this job on my 12 GS. I disagree that it is an easy job. My bushings were not brittle and were difficult to remove.
here's the important part-
The Dorman bushings don't fit the stud as well as the oem cable. The bushings I removed and damaged, still fit better than the new Dorman ones.
So I went to the dealer and paid $70 for a new oem cable and installed it, which was difficult to install, patients is the key.
But now I can have confidence that im not going to get stranded.
BTW, car has 34k miles.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:45 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Are the grommets the same size at both ends?
Old 07-13-2023, 07:54 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, I think you are correct. The Dorman bushings get the job done --- but are lose fit and the Dorman 14055 is soft plastic and won't last very long.
I think if you want the job done right, you have to replace the entire cable where the GM bushings are already installed in the cable.

I'm too old to be crawling under my car and dropping the exhaust and torque tube cover.
I guess I'm headed to the dealer to put another Corvette nightmare behind me.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Shifter Cable

Quick Reply: A6 Shifter Cable