C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:54 PM
arainey1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights

I have a C6 Coupe and I want to upgrade the lights. Looked at a lot of kits, LED or HID?? I want something in the 6000K - 6500K color (white no color). Looking for advise on kits or whick is better LED or HID and what wattage
Thanks
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

6000k to 6500k is pretty blue
I think OEM's use around 4500K , which is the right answer if you want "white"
a google search claims 5000k is "white", either way, 6000k is definitely not white.

I was told (by people that know more than me) that HIDs are still a lot better than LED, but i'm sure that will start an argument here.

But more importantly, your car comes factory with HIDs, inside projectors, why do you want to mess with a good thing.
You could upgrade to bigger ballasts and bulbs (35W to 55W i think???) but then you'd have to worry about overheating your housings.
I was told that HID bulbs do get dimmer with age, so you could replace the bulb, maybe change the color to whatever you want.
Also I believe that OEM HIDs are expensive not only because they can, but also because they use better quality products [read better reliability], and personally i won't be changing the factory HIDs because i dont want to deal with the lower reliability of aftermarket.
I did change the DRLs/front turn signals to white LED with resistors, and changed the fog lights to some high power LED (just for looks if i'm being honest, not for visibility, if i wanted visibility i would have put HIDs in the fogs).

Last edited by luka2sb; 04-24-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:39 AM
arainey1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

luka2sb, Thanks for the input. Depending on what Kelvin scale you look at depends on the color of light. I did speak to a tech at https://www.xenonpro.com yesterday and got some advise. He said There HIDs are lifetime warrantied and are a direct replacement for factory. He said the 6000K are slightly blue (like you said) but provide better light. for night driving. He also recamended the $20.00 upgrade to 55W from the 35W bulbs. I will most likely upgrade to the 55W high and low beam in 6000K HID, it allows me to keep the dust covers.

Any recommendations on "Switch back amber/white) driving lights? I want the DRL to be white and turn and parking to be amber.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

In North America cars, problem is that the turn signal is the exact same filament as the DRLs. The second (dimmer) filament is the parking lights. Since the turn signal and DRL are the same, I can’t think of any electrical circuit that will get you what you want without using a micro controller. But I must be missing something.

i know there is some aftermarket seller that claims they have a harness that does exactly what you want I don’t know how they could do it, The only thing I can think of is using a micro controller . I don’t know the name of the company, but a 5 minute google search and you’ll find it.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 PM
JealouZ
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to know anything regarding lights and quality products, talk to Cole at VetteLights. @VetteLights

I had a number of questions in the past and Cole is a stand up guy to deal with. I usually don't recommend Vendors unless I've really been treated well and felt they went out of their way when they didn't have to. Cole is one of those guys.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:57 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by JealouZ
If you want to know anything regarding lights and quality products, talk to Cole at VetteLights. @VetteLights

I had a number of questions in the past and Cole is a stand up guy to deal with. I usually don't recommend Vendors unless I've really been treated well and felt they went out of their way when they didn't have to. Cole is one of those guys.
Every light in my car is from Cole at VetteLights, I second that he is a stand up guy who stands behind all his products!!

vette-lights.com

Last edited by BMF_C6; 04-26-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lights

Quick Reply: Lights