C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Paddle Shifter Mod to F1 Standard

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:42 PM
RobDorsey
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default C6 Paddle Shifter Mod to F1 Standard

Hi All,

I have had my 2007 Base C6 for three months now and bought the car with the eye to modding it lightly. The first mod I wanted to do was to change the Paddle Shifters from the ridiculous stock system to the industry F1 style. I read the wire swapping method posted here and down loaded the schematic but decided to purchase one of the available left paddle shift modules from West Coast Corvettes for $170 (Eeeek!). As many of you know the mod is dirt simple and only requires that you remove the airbag--having disconnected the battery--and then one #20 Torx screw to remove the cheap plastic wheel spoke cover then two #20 Torx screws to remove the paddle module. You then only have to disconnect the elec. plug and, voila, the paddle is removed. Grabbing the new, expensive module firmly in your left hand, you reverse the procedure to install it and the spoke cover, snap in the Airbag then re-connect the battery, and Badda Boom! You have an F1 standard paddle shifter setup.

But, Not So Fast. It didn't work. On the drive test the left paddle would down-shift as expected but the right paddle did the cube root of diddly. Absolutely nothing from the right paddle or thumb button. So i called WCC and followed the phone tree to "Tech Support" which looped me back to the phone tree menu. Had to call back and select Customer Service to speak with a nice girl who transferred me to the shop foreman. He admitted he'd never installed one and offered to transfer me back to CS, where he lost me. Re-called and the same nice girl said to hold while she talked to the shop guy who she said told her it required re-wiring. NOT. So I, being a smartass of long experience asked, "Ok, I've got a few minutes to waste, ask him to walk me through the re-wiring, please. I'm dying to hear this." He, of course, couldn't and the best I could get out of them was an RMA mto return it with a caveat to make sure that it's not scratched or dented or anything that might make them decline to refund my $170 for a defective part.

So one portion of my question is: Does anyone reading this have any experience with this mod and, are there any Corvette suppliers worth the name? Frankly, I'm having bad experience after bad experience with Corvette parts suppliers and I plan on buying a lot of stuff, brakes, wheels, tires, etc.I need a good, reliable and honest supplier. I've been in the car hobby for like fifty years and it seems to me that Corvette suppliers are somewhat flaky. I haven't experienced that with other cars. Just saying.

If I were they I would have immediately offered to send out a replacement for the defective part with my sincere apologies. That's not what they did.
Best,
Rob

The following users liked this post:
Qshiplover (05-05-2022)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:10 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 232 Posts

Rob,

I agree the factory paddle shifter setup is stupid. I too changed my 2010 C6 GS to the F1 style and while I could've done the wiring, I just didn't want to change the wiring from factory so purchased the F1 kit, same price about $170, from Zip Corvette. I had no trouble, works fine. That said, I hate the thumb buttons and frankly, was a bit disappointed the $170 F1 kit didn't come with legit looking labels.....they simply attempted to mark out the vertical line of the + on the left thumb button of the paddle. It was obvious and looked like crap. Knowing this would drive me crazy, and that I wouldn't ever use the thumb buttons anyway, I gave in and purchased a set of B3 style S2T paddle shifters. They are pricey, about $225, but I think will be worth it based on what I've read about them. And they will look a 100 times better coupled with my Carrivaggio D-wheel.

I'd suggest returning those and purchasing the kit elsewhere. Mine arrived in short order from Zip Corvettes. Good luck!

Barry
Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I just changed the 2 wires on the right side, best thing I did so far.

I don't understand how a new module on the left side is going to change what the right side does? I read Zipcorvettes site but it doesn't explain much.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvone
I just changed the 2 wires on the right side, best thing I did so far.

I don't understand how a new module on the left side is going to change what the right side does? I read Zipcorvettes site but it doesn't explain much.
Yeah, I've read all those posts about the wiring changes here on the forum......don't know how that's on the right side and the F1 kit is on the left side, but it works. With the F1 kit installed....right side upshifts only and the left side downshifts only, just like it's supposed to do. If I recall correctly, the other F1 kits I compared on pricing on other sites, it was the same kit, meaning the part switched out was the left paddle.

Barry
Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM
RobDorsey
Intermediate

I took Triple's good advice and ordered them module from Zip. We'll see, huh?
Thanks Triple and Carvone.
Best,
Rob
The following 2 users liked this post by RobDorsey:
Qshiplover (05-05-2022), TripleB5832 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:41 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I was not about to spend $170 when I had to get to the wiring to start with. I also bypassed the wire reversal and simple cut the two wires. Use a pressure/crimp splice connector and a heat shrink wrap. I also added custom aluminum paddles and threw away the factor rejects.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea I looked into those super cool paddles but they were too pricey. My stock paddles do the same thing for free, I never used the thumb levers anyway.

Funny, my last 5 cars have been Cadillac's and I grew accustomed to the Cadillac tax but this Corvette tax is Crazy.......Some of these vendors are out of their minds.
gpruitt54 (04-30-2023)
Old 05-08-2019, 04:08 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

I must be one of the few that prefers the original Corvette functionality on the paddles. Espeically considering the paddles are attached to the wheel and not the stalk / column. Since the paddles move as you turn the wheel, you don't have to hunt for the up-paddle / down-paddle. You can grab either paddle regardless of how the wheel is turned. Granted, if the paddles were attached to the column and always stayed in place, this wouldn't be an issue. The original functionality eliminates one of the complaints of the F1 style and moving paddles, the upshit / downshift moves so sometimes it isn't where you expect it to be when you go to grab a gear change.

Yes, it is a very, very minor thing. Yes, 95% of the world's paddle shifters use the now-conventional F1 style. But I still kind of like knowing that either hand can operate either paddle for either kind of gear change.
The following 5 users liked this post by mellojoe:
dkpnkc (05-09-2019), KevDude (05-10-2019), LuthRavin (05-09-2019), Norskie (05-08-2019), SPSandman (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by mellojoe
I must be one of the few that prefers the original Corvette functionality on the paddles. Espeically considering the paddles are attached to the wheel and not the stalk / column. Since the paddles move as you turn the wheel, you don't have to hunt for the up-paddle / down-paddle. You can grab either paddle regardless of how the wheel is turned. Granted, if the paddles were attached to the column and always stayed in place, this wouldn't be an issue. The original functionality eliminates one of the complaints of the F1 style and moving paddles, the upshit / downshift moves so sometimes it isn't where you expect it to be when you go to grab a gear change.

Yes, it is a very, very minor thing. Yes, 95% of the world's paddle shifters use the now-conventional F1 style. But I still kind of like knowing that either hand can operate either paddle for either kind of gear change.
Paddles not attached to the wheel is old school. All you need to do is watch a F1 race or any of the sports car series and you will see the paddle s are attached to their wheels.
I have seen some post however where people complain that the paddles are attached to the wheel and that makes it hard to use them.. I never understood that logic.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Paddles not attached to the wheel is old school. All you need to do is watch a F1 race or any of the sports car series and you will see the paddle s are attached to their wheels.
I have seen some post however where people complain that the paddles are attached to the wheel and that makes it hard to use them.. I never understood that logic.
the stock size and function is hard for me to use if I'm trying to shift when the wheels is not straight. I've considered doing this conversion myself but would definitely need bigger paddles.

however, i was very glad to have the paddles when running through Deals Gap last summer! (tail of the dragon) helped me keep up with my son in his WRX
Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM
RobDorsey
Intermediate

BWF07, I have a pair of these and as someone else said, they are pricey but yours look awesome. Was it difficult to install in the paddle module? By the instructions, it looks like delicate surgery. Is it?

Thanks,
Rob
Qshiplover (05-05-2022)
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by RobDorsey
BWF07, I have a pair of these and as someone else said, they are pricey but yours look awesome. Was it difficult to install in the paddle module? By the instructions, it looks like delicate surgery. Is it?

Thanks,
Rob
I did not do the module. I simply switched the two wires. The instruction on here has you actually pull the wires out and replug them in, I simply cut the two wire (brown and purple I believe) used the crimp splicer and then a heat shrink over the connectors. the new paddles simply replace the original paddles.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

sSo where to start with this one.

First, let's talk about the price since we are being blamed for Corvette tax and being greedy and charging too much. Does anyone here have any idea how much it costs to make a circuit board in low quantity and not to mention the development cost of said board. You are correct it is Corvette tax and the tax is that they do not make many Corvettes so the cost of the part is spread across a small number.

The reason the + sign on the left paddle is marked out to create the minus sign, is because that part is injected molded and we wanted to have it done. However it would have added almost $200 to each paddle because of the tooling cost. So that paddle would be $369 instead of $169 that I am already being accused of is too expensive.

Why the left paddle? Because the left paddle is the one that controls both and sends it to the TCM. The right paddle is just a button.

We used to sell the boards to the company mentioned above but that was 5 years ago, I am assuming it has been copied but something was obviously missed. Our paddles are not re-wired, they are completely new boards with all new electronics on them and they are manufactured in the USA.
Justin

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 05-09-2019 at 02:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zip Corvettes:
hmmmm16417 (05-09-2019), madmatt9471 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:38 PM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
sSo where to start with this one.

First, let's talk about the price since we are being blamed for Corvette tax and being greedy and charging too much. Does anyone here have any idea how much it costs to make a circuit board in low quantity and not to mention the development cost of said board. You are correct it is Corvette tax and the tax is that they do not make many Corvettes so the cost of the part is spread across a small number.

The reason the + sign on the left paddle is marked out to create the minus sign, is because that part is injected molded and we wanted to have it done. However it would have added almost $200 to each paddle because of the tooling cost. So that paddle would be $369 instead of $169 that I am already being accused of is too expensive.

Why the left paddle? Because the left paddle is the one that controls both and sends it to the TCM. The right paddle is just a button.

We used to sell the boards to the company mentioned above but that was 5 years ago, I am assuming it has been copied but something was obviously missed. Our paddles are not re-wired, they are completely new boards with all new electronics on them and they are manufactured in the USA.
Justin
I don't really think the general consensus is man that Justin over at Zip Corvettes is a rip off!!! The general consensus is pretty much everything you buy for a Corvette is higher, in most cases a LOT higher than for say a (fill in the blank with pretty much any mass produced car)..... And you hit the nail on the head, it is because there aren't as many of them built each year as some other cars. BUT after owning MANY muscle/sports cars in my day it is a little rediculous at how much more "most" things cost for a Corvette over other sports cars.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:53 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mellojoe

I am with you there. It took me a little getting used to since my Camaro 2SS had the F1 setup and when I test drove the Vette I was really confused. LoL. Now I love the way it is on the Vette. Since as you say you can either upshift or downshift with either hand. On the Camaro I would have a bit of an issue when going through a sharp turn. I actually love this setup. If they were attached to the steering column I would definitely like the F1 setup.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:01 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JameyTurner
I don't really think the general consensus is man that Justin over at Zip Corvettes is a rip off!!! The general consensus is pretty much everything you buy for a Corvette is higher, in most cases a LOT higher than for say a (fill in the blank with pretty much any mass produced car)..... And you hit the nail on the head, it is because there aren't as many of them built each year as some other cars. BUT after owning MANY muscle/sports cars in my day it is a little rediculous at how much more "most" things cost for a Corvette over other sports cars.
Yup Corvette tax is a reality. I purchased a full cat back Corsa Xtreme with the XPipe for my Camaro 2SS for 1485. The Axle back Xtreme system for the Vette is 1632. Same muffler, MUCH less pipe and sure 4 tips, but they aren't as large as the tips that were on the Camaro.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by JameyTurner
The problem for the most part is numbers. So you look at Corvette and you look at Camaro related and different. Camaro sales since 2010 are 715,781 cars and Corvette is 177,751. Now for easy number dived them by 50% for auto and manual. So realistically when designing a part I go with 1% of production is how many possible sales you are going to get on a performance part. Most of the time it is less and rarely it is higher depending on the part. So if I designed a paddle shifter for a Camaro and a Corvette. The development cost would be the same, production cost may differ slightly depending on part. So let's say the development is $20,000 for design, and tooling/programming. So for the Corvette each part is costing me roughly $22.52 before I even have an actual part. That does not include if this part is more than one part of an assembly if it is, that 20K could easily turn into 100K. With those same numbers on a Camaro, I am $5.59 to be in the exact same place. My profit margin is still going to be the same so the Camaro part will sell much cheaper than the Corvette part. Corvette Tax explained.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Paddle Shifter Mod to F1 Standard

Old 05-09-2019, 04:42 PM
RobDorsey
Intermediate

Justin,
Please note that I did not mention the corvette tax nor did I imply that suppliers overcharged their customers. I grew up in a family business and I assure you that I understand the economics of supply and demand. My beef, where there is one, is with the supplier from whom I purchased my first paddle shift module and their lack of customer service. The paddle shift module I received and installed is defective and rather than immediately offering to replace it, they just chose to RMA it, if that is, they receive it in as-shipped, unblemished condition. The worst part was that they tried to bullshit me into believing that I had re-wiring to do, even with the $170 paddle. I was annoyed but did not quibble and merely turned about and ordered one from you. You may thank TripleB3852 for recommending your house. Since I'm new to corvette ownership having owned several other sportscars in the past---I used to be a Porsche guy---I'm trying to find my suppliers as I build this box stock, garden variety base C6 into something trackable and interesting, aesthetically and performance wise. I am sincerely hoping that the paddle module from Zip will work and the beginning of a relationship can be formed.

Bye the way, if people think Corvette tax is high, Porsche tax was just as high or higher---and then there's Lambo tax or Ferrari tax , those being surreal. The Corvette is the most affordable super car in the world both to buy and own. Lamborghini requires a ten thousand mile maintenance that runs about $24 Large or your warranty is revoked. Nice folks the Italians.
Best Regards,
Rob

Last edited by RobDorsey; 05-09-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Qshiplover (05-05-2022)
Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by RobDorsey
Justin,
Please note that I did not mention the corvette tax nor did I imply that suppliers overcharged their customers. I grew up in a family business and I assure you that I understand the economics of supply and demand. My beef, where there is one, is with the supplier from whom I purchased my first paddle shift module and their lack of customer service. The paddle shift module I received and installed is defective and rather than immediately offering to replace it, they just chose to RMA it, if that is, they receive it in as-shipped, unblemished condition. The worst part was that they tried to bullshit me into believing that I had re-wiring to do, even with the $170 paddle. I was annoyed but did not quibble and merely turned about and ordered one from you. You may thank TripleB3852 for recommending your house. Since I'm new to corvette ownership having owned several other sportscars in the past---I used to be a Porsche guy---I'm trying to find my suppliers as I build this box stock, garden variety base C6 into something trackable and interesting, aesthetically and performance wise. I am sincerely hoping that the paddle module from Zip will work and the beginning of a relationship can be formed.

Bye the way, if people think Corvette tax is high, Porsche tax was just as high or higher---and then there's Lambo tax or Ferrari tax , those being surreal. The Corvette is the most affordable super car in the world both to buy and own. Lamborghini requires a ten thousand mile maintenance that runs about $24 Large or your warranty is revoked. Nice folks the Italians.
Best Regards,
Rob
Rob,
I am just referring to all that was said, not necessarily what you said. I wanted to clear the air because we are not overcharging for anything. Yes, when compared to a Lambo and Ferrari, the Corvette stuff is cheap. I was
showing what Corvette tax is and compared to it being used as a reason to charge more money. I am sure they are matching our price for an item they are modifying vs. our entire new board. You will be happy with, they work very well.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by SPSandman

I am with you there. It took me a little getting used to since my Camaro 2SS had the F1 setup and when I test drove the Vette I was really confused. LoL. Now I love the way it is on the Vette. Since as you say you can either upshift or downshift with either hand. On the Camaro I would have a bit of an issue when going through a sharp turn. I actually love this setup. If they were attached to the steering column I would definitely like the F1 setup.
If you are just driving on the street, probably the stock configuration is absolutely just fine. It's the performance side of it. When you are under full acceleration, pushing a button is not a easy movement when compared to pulling the paddle that is already right by your fingertips.

Quick Reply: C6 Paddle Shifter Mod to F1 Standard