C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: One Guy Top Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Question: One Guy Top Removal

I haven't quite figured out the best way to remove the top with a bad shoulder. I've searched the forums and haven't found much. I'm sure there is no need to go trial and error to reinvent the wheel. Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:58 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

The top can be removed by a single person. I guess the real question is how bad is your shoulder? I open the door (either side which makes it a little easier. With the two front latched released as well as the rear latch, I push up in the center front of the inside of the roof panel. Then I simply pull the roof panel forward enough to grab the rear in the center and go forward and lift it up and out of the car. While it is a lot easier with two people on the initial removal and replacement it can be done with one person.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:03 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I know they are awkward to remove with two good shoulders (ok, 1 and a half, lol), but what about rigging up a pulley in the garage using suction cups?
Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

Not sure if your shoulder issue would prevent you from following this method however I have found this to be the easiest way to remove the top by myself.
The rest of the video provides a excellent advice on how to stop the roof panel from creaking. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Originally Posted by farmington
I know they are awkward to remove with two good shoulders (ok, 1 and a half, lol), but what about rigging up a pulley in the garage using suction cups?
One shoulder is reconstructed and the other has a full thickness tear and some other partials. I haven't scheduled surgery yet because I really don't have a week to recover. I thought that I might rig up my gambrel that I use to raise deer, but that wouldn't help me on the road. Sliding it forward a bit seems like the way to go. Thanks. I've given it a shot by just lifting the front a bit, but sliding it forward seems more secure.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:04 PM
tsmart
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, as an older person, heres what I do: after unlocking the top, put windows down. I have a small but plush rug I keep in the car. Only as big as the seat bottom.
Put the rug on the driver seat, then put my foot squarely and flat in the middle of the rug. Other foot is on ground. This gives me great leverage and a very natural position to remove the top at middle front and middle back at the same time. No awkward leaning or shoulder strain. Put it on the same way. Tooo easy. Try this, you will never do it any other way.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

If you can't lift from outside the car due to the bad shoulder, perhaps you can do it inside, pull it back behind you while sitting in one of the seats.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

The method in the youtube bit is the easiest for one. I use to remove top but once I got it to stop popping and creaking I may never remove it again
The following 2 users liked this post by Texan79423:
GRCTampa (06-08-2019), Shelstin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Yeah! I understand. I like my AC.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
I haven't quite figured out the best way to remove the top with a bad shoulder. I've searched the forums and haven't found much. I'm sure there is no need to go trial and error to reinvent the wheel. Any ideas?
I do it a little differently, primarily to avoid marring the roof, or the car, and also because it's easier on the back: I sit in the car, unlatch the roof, grasp both sides and lift it up over my head while stepping out of the car. Installation is the reverse of removal. The nice part is you can see what you're doing when guiding the roof down into the latches.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:56 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Its never going to be easy for you. Get the shoulder fixed or have your female friend do it for you.
The following users liked this post:
Shelstin (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Don't have the female friend anymore, so I'm looking currently looking for the next ex. It might be a good day to get in the back garage and try out a few options. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I find it easier to remove and replace by myself.

TIP: Keep a pair of gloves in the car. The top gets very hot after a few minutes in the sun.

TIP: If there is wind (even small), the top will act like a sail. Hold tight if you raise the top to a vertical position while removing if you do it alone.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I would suggest trying to remove it from the side of the vehicle where your will be using your good/better shoulder and arm to handle the front of top. I have a bad right shoulder with limited movement and reduced strength in that arm. I have found that I can still remove my top fairly easily if I do so from the driver's side, using my good shoulder/arm on the front edge of the top.; whereas, trying to do so from the other side has become to difficult to risk doing. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Welker1:
RadarP3C (06-09-2019), Shelstin (06-09-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Question: One Guy Top Removal

Quick Reply: Question: One Guy Top Removal