C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end emblem replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:57 PM
SwampRat
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Front end emblem replacement

The front emblem on my 2005 was very faded and I decided to replace it. I know there are a couple other posts here on how to replace, but I thought I would add my own with a couple of pictures. Everything I read said to stay away from replacement emblems from China, so I found original GM replacement on ebay for about $60 (which is kind of nuts for what you're getting).

The tools I used were a hair dryer, some 50lb test fishing line, a couple of plastic trim removal tools, a razor blade scraper and some Goo-Gone. I heated up the right side of the emblem with the hair dryer until I could get the fishing line in behind it. Then I "sawed" through the adhesive with the fishing line until I came to the first guide pin holding it in. I heated up the area around the pin with the hair dryer until I could get my plastic trim removal tool under it and pried it up far enough to get my fishing line pushed through so that I could saw all the way over to the other pin. Here is a picture of the old emblem propped up on its side to show the two pins.

Next I soaked a section of paper towel with Goo-Gone and laid it over the adhesive stuck to the car. Once the old adhesive was weakened I used the razor blade to carefully scrape it off. This is what the section looks like with no emblem.

One of the people who owned the car before I did had plastic wrap put on it. That is why you see the outline where the emblem used to be. The new emblem came with an alcohol wipe to clean the area before applying the emblem and then all I had to do was peel and stick the new emblem onto the car, fitting the pins into the guide holes. The entire process took a couple of hours; the hardest part was getting the old adhesive off of the car. But the new emblem looks a lot better, so I guess it was worth it. Hope this helps anyone else out there looking to do this to their car.

I'm not an expert at uploading pictures so I'm sorry if they're not as good as they could be.
The following 3 users liked this post by SwampRat:
Elijah71 (06-14-2019), myredhead1 (06-13-2019), Vettedream53 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

I replaced mine last year also. Used basically your same approach. Works well.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice work! Never really paid close attention, but I just noticed the emblem has a fleur de lis. Nothing gets by these eagle eyes (that now require corrective lenses)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Nice writeup. You're right that emblem was nasty. What caused it to turn that bad, any idea?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 PM
SwampRat
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Nice writeup. You're right that emblem was nasty. What caused it to turn that bad, any idea?
My guess would be a decade of sun fading. I’m guessing it was parked outside a lot.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Nice work! Never really paid close attention, but I just noticed the emblem has a fleur de lis. Nothing gets by these eagle eyes (that now require corrective lenses)
Your comment got me wondering. So here you go.

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ry/emblem.html

I learned something new as well. They had to change the original Corvette logo which employed an American flag. It is illegal to use the american flag on a commercial product. ?? Who knew? What about all the hats and T-shirts that have the flag as an emblem?

So then there's this.

https://forgottenhistoryblog.com/use...ng-is-illegal/
The following users liked this post:
Tokuzumi (06-14-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Front end emblem replacement

Quick Reply: Front end emblem replacement