C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Sell it for a good price, buy a new one 2 years down the road when you are more stable.
50.77%
Drive the piss out of it, even on construction sites.
24.62%
Store it at your parents, in the Georgia heat and cold with a car cover.
7.69%
I don't care / Other idea.
16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

To Keep my C6 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

With those miles drive it and put the car allowance away for a nicer replacement down the road....The c6 is a tough cookie...
The following users liked this post:
Rudysa2 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Rudysa2
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Get yourself a "home base" with a garage for it, and keep it there. Drive your other car into the ground, maybe replacing It with an f150.

Unless you're just not attached to it at all. Then just go ahead and sell it.
I currently own a home where I store. If I take this job I plan on renting it out for that free equity gain. Part of the appeal of this new job is to not have a mortgage/rent to pay, good chance in life to save some big money. I can't justify getting that extra cost just to store the car. Part of me wants to replace me 4runner, part of me wants to run it to the ground.

Originally Posted by SPSandman
I agree as well! It is just a car. If you love it, drive it. If it isn't in a garage it isn't going to kill it. Just keep it clean and take care of it and enjoy it. Especially if the company will be paying for you gas and expenses.

Life is to short to be Vette Less!
Haha I know right. I love the car, but I'm not particularly attached to it. If I had to change it for a different one tomorrow for whatever reason I wouldn't really care as long as I liked the new one more. I won't really be able to enjoy it during that time though, which is why I think I'd be better of selling it now. Unless the C8 flops and the C6 magically goes up, but there's so many C7s I doubt a base model 1LT will go up in value.

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I'm curious why you know you won't have a garage, unless the company owns the housing unit. If you will be new to the area, and will have to park outside, I would sell it before moving. You don't have any familiarity to know crime levels, and Corvette outside is a target in an unsecured area.
I'll be traveling from project site to project site. I'll be highly mobile, and not have a steady home base for a few years.

Originally Posted by owc6
My first thought is to drive it! But that may be me projecting.

I only have one more thing to add at this point is that if it's a Vert, don't store it outside with a cover (your post didn't specify if you have a coupe or a Vert). You are better off with no cover if you aren't there to let the top dry off after a storm so the top can remain mildew-free, IMO.
Sorry for not specifying, it's a targa/coupe. I do appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by 89talon
You have a good problem. I have had my C6 vert outside for the past two years. It is my DD and I put 120 miles a day on it. Either sell it or drive the snot out of it as I do. It's is just a car to me. If I was in your situation I would sell it and pocket the money for something later when you have a garage.....but don't be afraid to drive it. They are extremely dependable as I have put 40k on mine in the past two years. It has 132,000 miles now.
Oh man I know, I do drive it. I just would hate to put work miles on it instead of pleasure miles. And from what I hear the project sites are not what I want to be driving a C6 on.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Rudysa2
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys think $25k is a fair asking price?

Very clean, 2008 Manual Base 1LT Coupe/Targa. Color is Atomic Orange and has 51k miles. Has a clean carfax history. Only issue is a bad fuel sensor (tank always reads empty). I will add that I have ran it in Auto-Cross for a few events and it has fairly new Bridgestone RE-71 Tires.

Last edited by Rudysa2; 07-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:04 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Now is an especially prudent time to sell any Corvette because they are all likely to depreciate in the coming months due to the new generation's arrival. So, financially, it makes sense to sell it, even if you're going to buy another one soon after. That said, I wouldn't let your circumstance be the deciding factor in selling it. If owning it makes you happy, then continue to own it even if that means leaving it outside, driving it less, etc. Your happiness is worth almost any investment.
The following users liked this post:
Renquest (07-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

As someone who travels every week for work, I would sell it rather than leave it parked on the street. I park mine in my driveway and have no issues but, prior to that I lived in a condo with street parking and hated parking my cars on the street when I was away (didn't buy the vette til I got the house with the driveway). It's just a hassle depending on where you are not knowing what's going on or if they are doing last minute roadwork and have to move it, etc.
With regards to the price, I think $25k may be optimistic. I have a 2012 GS with 28k miles on it and, based on my research, would be lucky to get $25k for it.
Good luck with whatever you decide. I just think if it were me, I'd get rid of it and save the money for a new or newer one once I have access to a garage again.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 842 Likes on 600 Posts
Default Keep the C6

You sell it and you'll be Vettless!.. Not good!.. Been there done that, as other's have, and regretted it
bigtime... My then Lotus lived outdoors in a car port for a quite some time way way WAY back in the day. A man's car is a ticket to his semblance of freedom and dignity.. What the hell... Down the road, if it's warn out, get another one! You'll have money then and NO REGENTS.. A man's "car-happiness" is important during his early struggles with wife and family... Be strong, go to the mattresses!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Don’t know.

No details known about your car (like year, mileage, value, etc.), whether it’s paid off, how long you’ll be doing this job, what your financial situation is, if you have another vehicle to drive or if you’ll have to buy one, on and on.

Edit: Just reread and realized you’ll be storing it outdoors. Find a garage or dump it.
How is that a problem? My '13 GS that I bought new has been parked outside since I bought it.(private parking spot) I would put my paint up against any garage queen.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Renquest
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

As has been mentioned, I would sell it. Following the cliche, buy low sell high. With the C8 being released today, you are likely to get more money for it now before everyone starts seeing the C8 on the road.

Congrats on the new gig!

Last edited by Renquest; 07-18-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

If your not sure and have to ask for opinions i would guess your not all that passionate about the car so i would just sell it.

Quick Reply: To Keep my C6 or not?