C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Coolant message

Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 PM
sigp320
Cruising

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Low Coolant message

I have an 08 base. A "Low Coolant" message has appeared. Upon trying to add coolant, it was full. The cooling fan does run often. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Do you have a leak, or other explanation for the Low Coolant message? The C6 cooling system should be tight and not lose a drop. If there's a problem, correcting it is a must.

Most shops use a coolant recovery rig that essentially sucks the system dry. The resulting near vacuum allows new coolant (Dexron) to completely fill all lines and spaces with no voids to burp. It's fast and sure.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 AM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 124 Posts

My 06 used to do that all the time, the alarm is exceeding the time out function in the computer my tuner fixed it, you could probably fix it with a tech 2.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 690 Posts

The shop manual states that if you get the message and not low on coolant that you need to reprogram the HVAC control module.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM
sigp320
Cruising

Thanks
Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 AM
RJS91RGTP
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Coolant Issue

The issue is probably the sensor going bad. Pull the code and you will get the answer to the question but most likely the sensor.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:53 PM
sigp320
Cruising

You might be right. I put less than a half pint coolant in that filled it. I later drove it about 60 miles with no messages and the temp. below 200. The cooling fan does seem to run more than I would expect. However, it has always done that. I've owned it for 5 years and it has been mostly problem free. Thanks again...
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by RJS91RGTP
The issue is probably the sensor going bad. Pull the code and you will get the answer to the question but most likely the sensor.
If you are driving yourself crazy trying to find your Coolant Level Sensor, read this:

Low Coolant Message
The engine cooling system utilizes an algorithm based low coolant level system which eliminates the need for the coolant level sensor previously positioned inside the surge tank. The algorithm measures the difference in engine coolant temperature readings over time as a function of engine speed, to determine if the cooling system has a low coolant condition. After vehicle start up, the engine control module (ECM) sends an engine RPM and engine coolant temperature message through the body control module (BCM) to the HVAC control module. The HVAC control module uses engine coolant temperature and engine RPM to determine if an increase in engine coolant temperature is due to a low coolant level condition. This system is capable of losing 2 full liters of coolant before triggering the Low Coolant indicator. Because the surge tank holds approximately 0.8 liters when filled to the proper level, its possible that the Low Coolant indicator will not be triggered, even though the surge tank is completely dry.

That is why my advice was to check the HVAC module and not a level sensor.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
The shop manual states that if you get the message and not low on coolant that you need to reprogram the HVAC control module.
HI Tex: Where is the HVAC module located at?.....Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
If you are driving yourself crazy trying to find your Coolant Level Sensor, read this:

Low Coolant Message
The engine cooling system utilizes an algorithm based low coolant level system which eliminates the need for the coolant level sensor previously positioned inside the surge tank. The algorithm measures the difference in engine coolant temperature readings over time as a function of engine speed, to determine if the cooling system has a low coolant condition. After vehicle start up, the engine control module (ECM) sends an engine RPM and engine coolant temperature message through the body control module (BCM) to the HVAC control module. The HVAC control module uses engine coolant temperature and engine RPM to determine if an increase in engine coolant temperature is due to a low coolant level condition. This system is capable of losing 2 full liters of coolant before triggering the Low Coolant indicator. Because the surge tank holds approximately 0.8 liters when filled to the proper level, its possible that the Low Coolant indicator will not be triggered, even though the surge tank is completely dry.

That is why my advice was to check the HVAC module and not a level sensor.
Yep, there is no "sensor," but it can read conditions pretty accurately to determine if the coolant level is adequate. And warn you if you have ventured into dangerous territory.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Coolant message

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Coolant message