C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 PM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

So here are my crude string measurements. Obviously it’s from outside the fender. Imagine at least some room for the width of the bodywork and inner plastics. I’m just trying to close this gap a little:

Front

Front

Front

Now here are the rears:

Rear

Rear

This is a ‘13 GS lowered on stock (uncut) fronts and hardbar (delrin) rear bolts. Z06 Spyders and PS4S - stock sizes

Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 219 Posts

^^^ A 20mm spacers will fix that gap for sure as mentioned and indicated on this thread😊

Last edited by LOURDESBELLE; 01-23-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:27 PM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LOURDESBELLE
^^^ A 20mm spacers will fix that gap for sure as mentioned and indicated on this thread😊
Yes! I'm hoping the 20mm and 9mm spacers (I posted pictures of above) will fill the gap nicely . Thinking was that 20mm is too much for the rear (on my setup).

Just dreading the rear studs swap. Hopefully it's not that bad. Maybe this weekend if the weather is nice and no emergencies pop up. We shall see!
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by LilNutSac
Yes! I'm hoping the 20mm and 9mm spacers (I posted pictures of above) will fill the gap nicely . Thinking was that 20mm is too much for the rear (on my setup).

Just dreading the rear studs swap. Hopefully it's not that bad. Maybe this weekend if the weather is nice and no emergencies pop up. We shall see!
No access to a press? Stick the lugs back on (or find one that fits but is not your chrome capped ones) and press em out. Even if you need to pound them out, just stick a lug on and beat the snot outa that.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:59 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Yes pounding out the old studs can and will/may work, but take care not to get carried away. The laws of physics STRONGLY suggest that pounding to hard and long and especially off center on any bearing supported surface may cut the life of said bearing down considerably.......Good Luck.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Spacer talk reminds me of the wrangler forum. Popular there too.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:32 PM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Spacers are an appearance choice, not a performance improvement. Most people who choose appearance don't drive much or hard enough to cause a performance problem. Most performance people don't run spacers.

HOXXOH, you've helped me in the past, I respect your opinion and will appreciate it again.

My C6 Vert was modded by its previous owner including the addition of Stoptech Brakes. I assumed the Stoptech Brakes created the need for spacers since it appears the wheels will not fit without the spacers. However, the wheels are not stock (Z06 wheels, maybe) so I'm wondering if the different wheels required spacers.

Regardless, I don't see how the wheels will fit without the spacers. Measuring the spacers with wheels on is tough but they appear to be 5/8".

A while back I had new Michelin tires installed by a tire shop that I have had good luck with in the past. However, they could not get them balanced so I went to a shop with a Road Force tire balancer (due to advice received on this forum). They got 90% of the shimmy out and said they believed the spacers were the cause of the remaining shimmy that is not noticeable until 80 MPH or so.

The spacers are not hub centric and I don't see how they could have ever been balanced but there was never any shimmy at all with the previous tires, which doesn't make sense to me.

I was thinking of buying new hub centric spacers but am not sure the extended studs that are already installed will work. Do you have a suggestion?

P. S. other experienced opinions will be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Okay. 9mm rear spacers with DRM studs.
20MM adapter/spacers in the front. What do you think? 10X better to me

Quick Reply: Let's talk wheel spacers