C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Mero's upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 08:47 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Jim Mero's upgrade

I had Jim Mero's upgrade completed today on my 13 GS. I had it done at one of his authorized companies to perform the work, Apex Auto Detail in Wernersville, PA. I highly recommend the upgrade and also Apex Auto Detail. PA is a beautiful state, with tons of hills and curves. Unfortunately, most of the roads are "neglected" so they are rough. I drove to Wernersville from my home in Maryland. Of course the stock setting is good but it was designed along time ago. I decided to go with the New Tour/Super Sport set up (Super Sport is the 2nd level of "Sport" mode. While driving up to Wernersville I never thought of putting the MRC in sport because of the rough roads. Now I could drive in Super Sport all day but I switch over to Tour on the interstate and around the city. The new tour setting rides like a good sedan. I have two SUVs that traveled on the same roads recently (my parents are buried about 40 min north of Wernersville in Pottsville). With the new settings it definitely rides better than our 18 Equinox and almost as good as the 19 Traverse High Country even though the Traverse is set up for max comfort. You can barely feel expansion joints on bridges and rough roads feel smooth. The vehicle itself feels more "solid" and with better control.

New Super Sport setting is great and I wouldn't hesitate to use it at any time. I even left it in Sport mode for part of the drive on the interstate because I forgot it was in Sport. It was that smooth. Probably compared to a good sports sedan. The GS still handled well in both settings, easily pulling .8g on an on ramp with plenty in reserve. I think I was in tour mode then also.

The transaction was very easy. Just go to jimmero.com and fill out the contact info and you'll get an email from Jim. I don't know all of his authorized companies, except the one in Wernersville and one in NJ. He also offers to do it at his place in Michigan or South Carolina. Jim sent the new MRC controller to Apex, they installed it, and sent mine back. It took about 1 1/2 hours. There is a great Pizza/Sub restaurant in town. It was nice to sit outside and have some pizza.

I met another member to buy his M2W from him on the way home which I plan on installing soon. The difference with the upgrade is immediately noticeable. As I said the car just feels more "solid".
The following 7 users liked this post by phileaglesfan:
23/C8Z (08-23-2020), cyclesailor955 (08-23-2020), h8snow (07-17-2020), LS1AB (07-17-2020), mcandrew67 (07-17-2020), Toddolie (08-12-2020), Wloch248 (07-16-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,254 Likes on 233 Posts

Hi Dave, thank you so much for allowing us to upgrade the car. We are very happy that you are satisfied with the calibrations. I can’t thank Brian from Apex Auto Detail enough for installing the module. He is a complete professional.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim Mero:
23/C8Z (08-23-2020), ccryder (08-20-2020), Toddolie (08-12-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:58 PM
Jellybean
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve been meaning to post about Jim’s calibration for awhile as well. I live in Michigan and Jim and his wife were kind enough to meet my wife and I after work at his house and do the programming there. I really can’t overemphasize what a positive difference then new settings made for my 2009 ZR1. On Michigan roads, with our unpleasant winters, we have sizable potholes and extremely aggressive expansion joints. The ZR1 was almost undriveable on the highway in stock form. Jim’s calibration changed it so I could commute, weather permitting, every day. It really was a game changer. Thanks again, Jim.

-Erik
Old 08-20-2020, 10:13 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

This is the very next modification I plan to do to my ZR1.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Jellybean
I’ve been meaning to post about Jim’s calibration for awhile as well. I live in Michigan and Jim and his wife were kind enough to meet my wife and I after work at his house and do the programming there. I really can’t overemphasize what a positive difference then new settings made for my 2009 ZR1. On Michigan roads, with our unpleasant winters, we have sizable potholes and extremely aggressive expansion joints. The ZR1 was almost undriveable on the highway in stock form. Jim’s calibration changed it so I could commute, weather permitting, every day. It really was a game changer. Thanks again, Jim.

-Erik
Hey there Erik,

Thank you for allowing us the honor to upgrade your car. It was great chatting with you and your wife. We are very pleased that you are satisfied!

Jim
Old 08-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by EViL427
This is the very next modification I plan to do to my ZR1.
Hi EViL,

If you have not already done so, I invite you to go to the contact page on my website: www.jimmero.com. This way I can log your information, and we can work on logistics to get your car upgraded.

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-21-2020, 07:05 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I am so wanting to get this upgrade done. I had it scheduled through Jim at one of his associates at Klassic Rides in North Carolina a couple months ago. Well thanks to our great postal system the module didn't arrive before I got there in route from Florida to Pittsburgh. They were very nice people and couldn't be more sorry, same with Jim. The car is now at my home in Pittsburgh, I'm back in Florida but rest assured when I get back up to Pittsburgh in the near future, I'm going to look into removing module myself first as it doesn't look too difficult or I'll arrange a drive to Wernersville, pa through Jim and have it done. I'll let you soon Jim. I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade so bad.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:59 PM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I had Jim Mero's upgrade completed today on my 13 GS. I had it done at one of his authorized companies to perform the work, Apex Auto Detail in Wernersville, PA. I highly recommend the upgrade and also Apex Auto Detail. PA is a beautiful state, with tons of hills and curves. Unfortunately, most of the roads are "neglected" so they are rough. I drove to Wernersville from my home in Maryland. Of course the stock setting is good but it was designed along time ago. I decided to go with the New Tour/Super Sport set up (Super Sport is the 2nd level of "Sport" mode. While driving up to Wernersville I never thought of putting the MRC in sport because of the rough roads. Now I could drive in Super Sport all day but I switch over to Tour on the interstate and around the city. The new tour setting rides like a good sedan. I have two SUVs that traveled on the same roads recently (my parents are buried about 40 min north of Wernersville in Pottsville). With the new settings it definitely rides better than our 18 Equinox and almost as good as the 19 Traverse High Country even though the Traverse is set up for max comfort. You can barely feel expansion joints on bridges and rough roads feel smooth. The vehicle itself feels more "solid" and with better control.

New Super Sport setting is great and I wouldn't hesitate to use it at any time. I even left it in Sport mode for part of the drive on the interstate because I forgot it was in Sport. It was that smooth. Probably compared to a good sports sedan. The GS still handled well in both settings, easily pulling .8g on an on ramp with plenty in reserve. I think I was in tour mode then also.

The transaction was very easy. Just go to jimmero.com and fill out the contact info and you'll get an email from Jim. I don't know all of his authorized companies, except the one in Wernersville and one in NJ. He also offers to do it at his place in Michigan or South Carolina. Jim sent the new MRC controller to Apex, they installed it, and sent mine back. It took about 1 1/2 hours. There is a great Pizza/Sub restaurant in town. It was nice to sit outside and have some pizza.

I met another member to buy his M2W from him on the way home which I plan on installing soon. The difference with the upgrade is immediately noticeable. As I said the car just feels more "solid".
So did you install the M2W yet? It was good meeting you and your son. On a side note, your profile shows Northern Utah.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:49 PM
208vette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurhan
I am so wanting to get this upgrade done. I had it scheduled through Jim at one of his associates at Klassic Rides in North Carolina a couple months ago. Well thanks to our great postal system the module didn't arrive before I got there in route from Florida to Pittsburgh. They were very nice people and couldn't be more sorry, same with Jim. The car is now at my home in Pittsburgh, I'm back in Florida but rest assured when I get back up to Pittsburgh in the near future, I'm going to look into removing module myself first as it doesn't look too difficult or I'll arrange a drive to Wernersville, pa through Jim and have it done. I'll let you soon Jim. I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade so bad.
I did the upgrade myself. Honestly its very easy even if you aren't the most mechanically inclined. Hardest part for me was getting the module bolted back on to the frame. Kind of have to do it by feel because it's hard to see what you're doing in there with your arm/hand in the way. I was laying on the garage floor though, definitely would have been easier on a lift. Watch Jim's install video, its spot on and exactly how I did mine.

Last edited by 208vette; 08-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 208vette:
jdurhan (08-22-2020), Jim Mero (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:24 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by c05v3tt3
So did you install the M2W yet? It was good meeting you and your son. On a side note, your profile shows Northern Utah.
I need to install it. I had a shock fail before the upgrade and didn't know it did.. I like the upgrade even more now. I forgot about the profile.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:29 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Mero
Hi Dave, thank you so much for allowing us to upgrade the car. We are very happy that you are satisfied with the calibrations. I can’t thank Brian from Apex Auto Detail enough for installing the module. He is a complete professional.
OP congrats and I believe every bit of it. I believe that not only from Jim Mero's reputation and resume, but from having a 16 Z06 then getting his mag ride update in late 2018 or early 2019.. holy cow. And now having my 2019 Z06 I am spoiled and everyone I know with a C7 paid for that upgrade and not one said it isn't absolutely transforming of the ride quality.

Jim Mero Is a God in the Corvette World..

If any if you are not familiar with him?? Check out this podcast episode. It's fantastic and the C6 mag ride update is discussed. I only wish Jim had this available when I had my 08!

Get notified of new replies

To Jim Mero's upgrade

Quick Reply: Jim Mero's upgrade