C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got home with my 07 after 1800+ miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 10:22 AM
Styeattes
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just got home with my 07 after 1800+ miles

Hey Vette peoples! So after about 6 months of searching I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2007 3LT Z51 convertible. I knew the exact options I wanted and I also knew I wanted a great deal on something I could work on and make it better and mine. So Wed morning I flew out of Richmond VA to El Paso Tx and signed the paperwork. Then the adventure begins! I have to say the engine and transmission are in great working order, about the only thing bad is the HB is stock and unless im seeing things it does have a very very very slight wobble (could also be in my head lol, I will be replacing within a few months just for peace of mind). I had a relatively uneventful drive home, left El Paso at around 2pm Wed, got home this morning (Fri) at about 2:30 am with only about 8 hours sleep in the last 2 days... One thing did happen, a tractor trailer either hit something or blew a tire and I ran over whatever it was, knocked about a 3 to 4 inch chunk out of the bottom of my driver side fender at the bottom by the door (excuse to widebody?) So these are the thing I am about to start researching that I will be fixing first before getting to the cosmetic and rettles/missing clips.
These two things might be connected I have to research more about the traction control system, when on the highway (not sure what speed it starts happening at) when accelerating the traction system activates and cannot accelerate and there is a thumping noise coming from the rear driver side wheel, as the trip went on the thumping got really bad when pressing the brakes. I am thinking the thumping is either bad brakes or warped rotors. The traction system does not activate when using cruise control so I drove pretty much the whole way using it to speed up and slow down.
This one has nothing to do with drivability its just extremely annoying. The dealer said the convertible top would not go down but they did not try to fix it, I figured it was just a motor. That is not the case lol. I get alerts every 15 to 20 minutes (like I said, very annoying) saying top not secure and toneue ajar. There is alot of wind coming in from the very middle of the top and the toneue cover wont go down all the way on the front passenger side.
Ok so I am going to be researching on here today and coming up with a game plan for these fixes, I plan on taking the rear driver wheel off and doing a good inspection to see if anything jumps out at me. Other than these things I am extremely happy with this, it is my first C6 and I am in love! I have had an 87, 92 and 01.
If anyone knows what could be causing these issues I would greatly appreciate you saving me hours of reading non related posts and thank you in advance!

Last edited by Styeattes; 10-23-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 PM
Styeattes
Cruising

I found the issue with toneue cover, It wasnt latching. It seems when someone installed a new one they didnt line the latches up correctly. the actuator needs to move back towards the rear about half an inch but I am not seeing any way to adjust it. Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2020, 12:47 PM
sneal46
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I can appreciate the hunting down and ensuing road adventure in finding your car. As a hands on shade tree guy myself, it is intriguing to find a used vette and then pick through some of the things that need attention. Good luck on the mechanical and cosmetic punch list. Having just bought a new to me 2007 base from the original owner, I know how it feels.
The following users liked this post:
Styeattes (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:04 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Congrats. Car looks like it is lowered a lot for a base model. Also, it may just be the picture, but front wheel/tire looks big in comparison to the rear wheel/tire. Good luck getting the small issues worked out.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:26 PM
Styeattes
Cruising

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Congrats. Car looks like it is lowered a lot for a base model. Also, it may just be the picture, but front wheel/tire looks big in comparison to the rear wheel/tire. Good luck getting the small issues worked out.
Yes it does seem to be lowered to much. I got into working on the convertible top so havent jacked it up yet. I will get to that soon. hmm didnt even check wheel sizes lol...
Old 10-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Styeattes
Cruising

The driver side rear is a whole inch lower than the passenger side too. that was measured but it looks like a lot more when you just look at them.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Styeattes
Yes it does seem to be lowered to much. I got into working on the convertible top so havent jacked it up yet. I will get to that soon. hmm didnt even check wheel sizes lol...
Like I said, it could just be the picture, but make sure your fronts are not too tall. I'm not sure what the formula is, but if your fronts are too tall in comparison to the rears, it could set off active handling/traction control issues.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:06 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Styeattes
The driver side rear is a whole inch lower than the passenger side too. that was measured but it looks like a lot more when you just look at them.
It could be as simple as readjusting the lowering bolts on the car. Hopefully that's it and not some other issue.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:19 PM
Styeattes
Cruising

It could be as simple as readjusting the lowering bolts on the car. Hopefully that's it and not some other issue.
Yeah they are all pretty much different heights, I had to order a low profile floor jack because mine wouldnt fit under it, there was a coupon code on one of these threads, and with honey I got the floor jack, jack stands with pucks and a new set of chocks for $132 shipped!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (10-24-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Just got home with my 07 after 1800+ miles

Quick Reply: Just got home with my 07 after 1800+ miles