C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base vs GS worth it? And thoughts on base to GS conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 05:26 PM
Long_AV8R
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr
Yes they do, but if you didn't know, the paddles in IMSA DPI, P2, GTLM, and GTD cars are used to manually shift the sequential transmission. The transmission does not automatically shift itself. Same thing in Indy Cars and Formula 1, 2, and 3. NASCAR uses manually shifted 4 speeds with a conventional pedal operated clutch and stick shift.

Automatics with a torque converter, like the Power Glide, TH400, Torqueflite, etc., are very popular in drag racing and almost always manually shifted, especially in the top classes.

Just because there is no clutch pedal does not mean the transmission is "automatic".
And just because you have to shift it doesn't make it a manual. Motorcycles have sequential gearboxes with a clutch and I've heard of SMG's being compared to those but even that's not quite right. The one thing you have to remember about a sequential is the it has to be done in order. You can't get to 4 from 6 without going through 5, but in a true manual transmission, its a direct shot from 6 to 4 if you want it.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:24 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Long_AV8R
And just because you have to shift it doesn't make it a manual.
What then would it be?
Old 01-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Long_AV8R
Racer

Well, just what they call it, a Sequential Manual Gearbox. Not an automatic because you must select the gears, and not a true manual because you don't actuate the clutch - which I think everyone can agree, is the tricky part about manual transmissions. You can't take away the third pedal as a salesman recently suggested while I was looking at a C8 at a local dealer. Moving the stick to and fro hardly qualifies as any real skill, its the third pedal that gets most people in trouble. I guess I'm just over people saying an SMG is the same as a manual transmission when it absolutely is not.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:40 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Well, just what they call it, a Sequential Manual Gearbox. Not an automatic because you must select the gears, and not a true manual because you don't actuate the clutch - which I think everyone can agree, is the tricky part about manual transmissions. You can't take away the third pedal as a salesman recently suggested while I was looking at a C8 at a local dealer. Moving the stick to and fro hardly qualifies as any real skill, its the third pedal that gets most people in trouble. I guess I'm just over people saying an SMG is the same as a manual transmission when it absolutely is not.
IMSA cars have a third pedal.....
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Got it. Sequential Manual Gearbox.

Now back to the original topic:

Old 01-04-2021, 10:59 PM
Long_AV8R
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
IMSA cars have a third pedal.....
Can they go from 6 to 4 without going through 5?
Old 01-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Long_AV8R
Racer

Originally Posted by wjnjr
Got it. Sequential Manual Gearbox.

Now back to the original topic:

Dude, that question was answered forever ago. It is better to buy the GS. Just make sure its got a manual.

For those that do want to convert though, here's some one stop shopping for you:

http://ss-vette.com/product-category/c6-corvette/.

Last edited by Long_AV8R; 01-04-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:00 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Been there done that, I owned a 2008 Z51 Base Corvette, now I own a 2012 G.S. Corvette spend the extra money and buy a G.S. you'll appreciate the fact that buying the G.S. was the best Corvette decision you ever made.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Can they go from 6 to 4 without going through 5?
Does it matter? They have a clutch, therefore manual transmission.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:28 PM
Long_AV8R
Racer

Default ​​​​​​​No, they just have a clutch...

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Does it matter? They have a clutch, therefore manual transmission.
Okay, I'm about to blow your mind... Automatics have clutches too. What's your point? I guess now that there is a third option, it has to be treated like its own entity because it is. Its neither completely automatic, nor is it completely manual.

Ever wonder why we sent a monkey into space? Because we can. We can because we made something so advanced for its time, even a monkey could pilot it. Seems Corvettes have finally caught up with the space age.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

The OP does not have a Vette, and my money is on that he never will. So, I will allow all this dicussion on transmissions. Go.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Ed (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:45 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Okay, I'm about to blow your mind... Automatics have clutches too. What's your point? I guess now that there is a third option, it has to be treated like its own entity because it is. Its neither completely automatic, nor is it completely manual.
I'm gonna call bullshit on this as you knew damn well I was talking about a clutch pedal as the third pedal was what we were talking about to begin with. Automatics don't have that as you well know. Poor analogy.

Ever wonder why we sent a monkey into space? Because we can. We can because we made something so advanced for its time, even a monkey could pilot it. Seems Corvettes have finally caught up with the space age.
Monkeys were sent into space so we could determine if humans could survive the trip without actually risking a human life to find out. Sorry to shoot down your second poor analogy. This has nothing to do with Corvettes.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:57 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Not long after a monkey in space, the Space Shuttle took a Corvette to space. This was WAY before Elon Musk launched a Tesla into space.

Quick Reply: Base vs GS worth it? And thoughts on base to GS conversion