C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 11:29 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Throttle position sensor

I'm getting an occasional CEL and it reads "Throttle position sensor problem" Should I just replace the sensor? How difficult is the job?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

TPS is part of throttle body. An easy but expensive swap. Might diagnose first.

Throttle Body Assembly
The throttle assembly contains the following components:

• The throttle blade

• The throttle actuator motor

• The throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2

The throttle body functions similar to a conventional throttle body with the following exceptions:

• An electric motor opens and closes the throttle valve.

• The throttle blade is spring loaded in both directions and the default position is slightly open.

• There are 2 individual TP sensors within the throttle body assembly.

The TP sensors are used to determine the throttle plate angle. The TP sensors provide the engine control module (ECM) with a signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. The TP sensor 1 signal voltage at closed throttle is above 4 volts and decreases as the throttle plate is opened. The TP sensor 2 signal voltage at closed throttle is below 1 volt and increases as the throttle plate is opened.
The following users liked this post:
ClothSeats (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 01:02 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

If you have a 2009-2013 a gold blade throttle body can be bought used for $150 or less. If yours is a 2005-2008, you have a silver blade and those are around $500 if you can find one
Old 12-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Are you running any kind of throttle booster ?
Old 12-02-2020, 07:50 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

I had the Vitesse for a while, but it was a nightmare. removed it months ago. Problem just surfaced. So I have to replace entire throttle body at $500?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteJPJ
I had the Vitesse for a while, but it was a nightmare. removed it months ago. Problem just surfaced. So I have to replace entire throttle body at $500?

Yes, no, maybe and just depends on your electronic surgery and reassembly skills.

Hence inside the TB works, you have two re-stat disc's with matching swipers, and most of the time, disc bars just need to be cleaned up, swipers tweaked to put more tension on them to the discs, and Bob's your uncle..

So first sensor is under the gold plate, and the second sensor is deeper down into the works.
Note, if you use the correct size screw driver bits, will not have to drill out anything. Also, mark the disc slot to gold plate and when you put the works back together, make sure that the disc slot lines back up. Also, plain on using a tech II to do a throttle relearn as well (which you will have to do if you replace the TB anyways).
On TB's for the C6 will either be silver vain, or will be gold vain. If you go to replace the TB, make sure that the vain color is the same color at the old one. Hence the different color vain TB's open in the opposite direction then other.

Lastly, would help to have the DTC code, since problem may not be the TB, but the gas pedal sensors isntead. Hence same with two sensor, but since the senor is a PITA (spring loaded, rivet guide pins mouse trap) to pull to clean its re-stat pads and wiper, best to just replace the gas pedal assembly if its sensor is the problem since it only $90.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-02-2020 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vetteJPJ (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:31 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

I'll post the code tomorrow
Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yes, no, maybe and just depends on your electronic surgery and reassembly skills.

Hence inside the TB works, you have two re-stat disc's with matching swipers, and most of the time, disc bars just need to be cleaned up, swipers tweaked to put more tension on them to the discs, and Bob's your uncle..

So first sensor is under the gold plate, and the second sensor is deeper down into the works.
Note, if you use the correct size screw driver bits, will not have to drill out anything. Also, mark the disc slot to gold plate and when you put the works back together, make sure that the disc slot lines back up. Also, plain on using a tech II to do a throttle relearn as well (which you will have to do if you replace the TB anyways).
On TB's for the C6 will either be silver vain, or will be gold vain. If you go to replace the TB, make sure that the vain color is the same color at the old one. Hence the different color vain TB's open in the opposite direction then other.

Lastly, would help to have the DTC code, since problem may not be the TB, but the gas pedal sensors isntead. Hence same with two sensor, but since the senor is a PITA (spring loaded, rivet guide pins mouse trap) to pull to clean its re-stat pads and wiper, best to just replace the gas pedal assembly if its sensor is the problem since it only $90.

Do you have a part number?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:20 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If you have a scanner to read live data then read the TPS and the PPS to see where the problem is. They should track somewhat linear, with the TPS ~7% ahead once the engine reaches operating temp.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Do you have a part number?

For what?
The TB does not have store bought replaceable parts, and you are just cleaning up the stock re-stat disc and wipers by pulling the TB apart in the first place.

On accelerator pedal assembly, part number is 19417903 from AC delco.

And again, get the code to see which is the problem to start with, and needs to be resolved.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:19 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
And again, get the code to see which is the problem to start with, and needs to be resolved.
I agree. There should be a forum rule that if you start a thread stating you have a CEL/DTC and want help, yet don't want to provide the code, then you should be banned for life!! (maybe a little harsh)

Getting codes is free at AutoShack or $15 with a cheapie code reader. Please invest the time or money if you want your troubles diagnosed.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:55 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

I'll try to get the code before you ban me for life. Damn. Sorry I asked. I don't always have the time. If you are that impatient I apologize. I work a lot.

Last edited by vetteJPJ; 12-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:42 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

P0121
Old 12-04-2020, 02:23 AM
Dano523
Race Director

P0121
P0121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1 Performance ECM

So problem is just dirty restat disc surface, not enough swipers pressure inside the TB, with somewhere on sensor 1 as the swipers move along the surface of the Stat pad , it's having a problem with dropped reading for a quick micro second of surface movement in a spot.

Hence if sensor pad or swiper where worn out to not ready at all, then would be getting a different code instead.
P0120 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1 Circuit ECM

Not a C6 TB, but gives you the idea of how the disc and swipers work in a Evo TB at least.
https://www.evilution.co.uk/files/sm.../throttle4.jpg

P.S, Too bad your not local, since would have you bring the car over to pull the TB to clean it sensors, and have you back on the road in less than a hour. Once you have a few pull downs and cleans under your belt, only take a few mins with it in hand, with more work pulling the TB off, then doing a throttle relearn in the end once it back on with a tech II.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-04-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:35 AM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll try to get the code before you ban me for life. Damn. Sorry I asked. I don't always have the time. If you are that impatient I apologize. I work a lot.
We are all here just waiting around for you to have the time, maybe you shouldn't have posted to you had the proper info. I know we were all supposed to put our long distance scanner caps on and diagnose your problem and then fly over and fix it for you. And give you part #'s and the best prices and places to buy from.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:24 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jonjoy
We are all here just waiting around for you to have the time, maybe you shouldn't have posted to you had the proper info. I know we were all supposed to put our long distance scanner caps on and diagnose your problem and then fly over and fix it for you. And give you part #'s and the best prices and places to buy from.
Not much joy in your response. I'm sorry to take up your time. If you have no helpful information to offer, you do not need to respond. Others here are a bit more patient. Thanks to all that provided insight into my car's problem.

Last edited by vetteJPJ; 12-04-2020 at 06:27 PM. Reason: revise
Old 12-04-2020, 06:24 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dano and c6togo for the helpful info.

Last edited by vetteJPJ; 12-04-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: yes
Old 03-03-2021, 01:19 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Have you tried to DELETE al those codes permanently with HP TUNERS or EFILIVE ?
Many times my experience has been that a C5 that is 23 years old will produce "FALSE CODES"
Does your car seem to be running OK ? other than the codes ? If so they may be false codes due simply to age--1st try to delete all those codes permanently with a mail order tune or with a local tuner---If the problem goes away then in fact they are false codes ----If not 97-98 C5's are prone the throttle body codes---Column lock codes---and ignition switch codes--Start with the simple fixes 1st

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle position sensor

Quick Reply: Throttle position sensor