C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a New Owner of 2009; issues to lookout for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
Regarding leaking fuel system: are you referring to only after one fills up and tops-off the tank, or at anytime while driving???
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
the car has dual fuel tanks with a connecting pipe between them. The seals in that pipe fail and as a result the car will develop a strong fuel smell. The fix is to replace the connector but the problem is that it requires alot of labor to fix.
^^^^^^I'm referring to this^^^^^^

This was such a common problem that Chevrolet issued a 10 year warranty on it from the in service date. My 09 had the leak this year, was outside the warranty period, and I managed to get it repaired for $1400. My son in law, who owns two Matco routes, got me wholesale parts and a reduced labor rate at a Chevy dealership on one of his routes. I've seen owners in this forum and on C6 FB pages pay up to $2,600 to get it repaired.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:15 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
ALL meaning models base model, GS model Z06 model and yes the ZR1
Of course I saw it. I have been on here for 5+ years, and have seen maybe one other problem with AH that was not actually a battery issue. You can troll the internet for "problems on XX car" and find what will appear to be endless issues with any, and every, model. I am not disagreeing with you that it "can" be a problem, only that it is very unlikely to be a problem. I think the OP was concerned about common issues and problems.
The following users liked this post:
RetroGuy (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:26 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
^^^^^^I'm referring to this^^^^^^

This was such a common problem that Chevrolet issued a 10 year warranty on it from the in service date. My 09 had the leak this year, was outside the warranty period, and I managed to get it repaired for $1400. My son in law, who owns two Matco routes, got me wholesale parts and a reduced labor rate at a Chevy dealership on one of his routes. I've seen owners in this forum and on C6 FB pages pay up to $2,600 to get it repaired.
No, they did not issue a "warranty". I forget the actual language, possibly a "service advisory", but it basically advises dealers to be aware of an issue that, if it occurs under very strict guidelines, the dealer may choose to correct it on GM's dime. The "10-year" period is correct, but the vehicle cannot have more than 120K miles on it. Some dealers are unaware of it, and it has been reported that some refused to do the repair. Even when there may be a leak, if the vehicle does not qualify via the recommended "smoke test", it will not qualify for GM replacement. Most feel it is CS BS, but it is what it is.

What I have wondered about is if there is a period within the C6 generation where the problem decreased, or went away. I cannot recall hearing about anyone with an '11 through '13 model experiencing the issue. I realize that would not be the OP's concern, but many of us would like to know if the problem has been proven to exist throughout the C6 generation.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:43 PM
nplenzick
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Bought my 09 last Feb with 38k, Z51, one owner southern CA car. Replacing the crap old run flats was done in the first week. The only real problems were shifter getting stuck in Park. Fixed that myself for 0 dollars some good YouTubes on that. The rear hatch wasn't opening properly. Sometimes you had to push the button several times to get it to open. Fixed that myself for $60. Bought a used latch assembly on eBay. Nothing else has been a issue. I did change the oil when I bought it even though it was clean, just wanted to make sure Mobil 1 was in it. I also serviced the trans just because I felt it was the right thing to do on a eleven year old car. Chevy dealership wanted $700, I did it for about $150. Trans oil really didn't look bad along with very little stuff in the pan. Still glad I did it to prevent future problems. I'd recommend that for your car too if it wasn't already done.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

If you drive the car regularly you shouldn't experience any AH or electrical issues. I drive mine every single day to and from work, to the stores, to the beach and just cruising around. I have my '06 for over a year now with zero issues. Runs great. Before I bought it, the car was barely driven 2k miles a year. In the first month I experienced some of the "typical" electrical gremlin error codes and "check AH" would pop up on the dash. I drive it around 1,250 miles per month and have never experienced a single issue after my first month of owning the car. The previous owner did have the HB replaced at 24K miles. You have to drive these cars. Driving the car every day will keep the battery at full charge better than a garage queen sitting on a battery tender 95% of it's life. By driving the car you will not have corrosive issues with your ground connections and you will avoid electrical issues common to cars that sit around most of the time especially in damp garages. The fuel tank recall was for 2007-2013 Corvette model years and was due to cracks occurring in the left tank fuel pump module flange. Not every 2007-2013 Corvette will have the fuel tank issue though. I did replace my hood and trunk struts and the gas cap was loose so I replaced it with a much better Stant cap. The more you drive these cars, the better they run. Most of the issues are the cause of lack of use, poor storage and weak batteries.
The following users liked this post:
RetroGuy (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:14 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
If you drive the car regularly you shouldn't experience any AH or electrical issues. I drive mine every single day to and from work, to the stores, to the beach and just cruising around. I have my '06 for over a year now with zero issues. Runs great. Before I bought it, the car was barely driven 2k miles a year. In the first month I experienced some of the "typical" electrical gremlin error codes and "check AH" would pop up on the dash. I drive it around 1,250 miles per month and have never experienced a single issue after my first month of owning the car. The previous owner did have the HB replaced at 24K miles. You have to drive these cars. Driving the car every day will keep the battery at full charge better than a garage queen sitting on a battery tender 95% of it's life. By driving the car you will not have corrosive issues with your ground connections and you will avoid electrical issues common to cars that sit around most of the time especially in damp garages. The fuel tank recall was for 2007-2013 Corvette model years and was due to cracks occurring in the left tank fuel pump module flange. Not every 2007-2013 Corvette will have the fuel tank issue though. I did replace my hood and trunk struts and the gas cap was loose so I replaced it with a much better Stant cap. The more you drive these cars, the better they run. Most of the issues are the cause of lack of use, poor storage and weak batteries.
So...Are you saying I should shut up, just drive my '09, and enjoy it???
The following 2 users liked this post by RetroGuy:
Fast Dawg (12-04-2020), REKCUF (12-11-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:43 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I'm saying that these are great cars and all of the problems that people complain of are usually the owners fault and not because these are problem cars.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
No, they did not issue a "warranty". I forget the actual language, possibly a "service advisory", but it basically advises dealers to be aware of an issue that, if it occurs under very strict guidelines, the dealer may choose to correct it on GM's dime. The "10-year" period is correct, but the vehicle cannot have more than 120K miles on it. Some dealers are unaware of it, and it has been reported that some refused to do the repair. Even when there may be a leak, if the vehicle does not qualify via the recommended "smoke test", it will not qualify for GM replacement. Most feel it is CS BS, but it is what it is.

What I have wondered about is if there is a period within the C6 generation where the problem decreased, or went away. I cannot recall hearing about anyone with an '11 through '13 model experiencing the issue. I realize that would not be the OP's concern, but many of us would like to know if the problem has been proven to exist throughout the C6 generation.
Sorry for my wording. It was actually called a "Special Coverage Adjustment" and there are posts in this forum about 11-13 year models experiencing this problem. It was also a problem on Cadillac XLRs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30551-9999.pdf
Old 12-04-2020, 12:10 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 193 Posts

In my opinion "yeah kinda".
I basically said the same thing in my response dated Dec. 2
Like any car keep an eye on it and keep up maintenance.
The first and main thing is drive it and enjoy it.
Cmon it's a Vette!
Old 12-04-2020, 12:27 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 166 Posts

Of course I saw it. I have been on here for 5+ years, and have seen maybe one other problem with AH that was not actually a battery issue. You can troll the internet for "problems on XX car" and find what will appear to be endless issues with any, and every, model. I am not disagreeing with you that it "can" be a problem, only that it is very unlikely to be a problem. I think the OP was concerned about common issues and problems.
i understand your point i daily mine everyday and race it at the track frequently so yea although it is a concern im just going to enjoy my car regardless and just my chances
Old 12-04-2020, 12:29 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Thank you, Dawg. I did not know if you were simply being brief, or did not fully understand the issue. Your explanation was very thorough. Each time I hear, "Special Coverage Adjustment", I immediately think the term must have been coined by someone from the "Psycho-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous". Of course, one would have to be a "High Anxiety" fan to understand...
Old 12-04-2020, 12:40 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
i understand your point i daily mine everyday and race it at the track frequently so yea although it is a concern im just going to enjoy my car regardless and just my chances
Honestly, I am a bit spooked by the issue. There is a stretch of 10 mile dead-straight, no traffic, road out in the desert that I've done high speed runs on before. Fasted I've been is 155, with the goal for my next run to be 165. I have always had a bit of a worry about a coyote running out in front of me, as that happened to me about 8 years ago, in an F250. Now, I also have to consider the possibility of my Steering Wheel Position Sensor going wonky. I want to embrace the attitude of "enjoying my car", but this issue is certainly causing me second thoughts.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:55 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Thank you, Dawg. I did not know if you were simply being brief, or did not fully understand the issue. Your explanation was very thorough. Each time I hear, "Special Coverage Adjustment", I immediately think the term must have been coined by someone from the "Psycho-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous". Of course, one would have to be a "High Anxiety" fan to understand...
No worries.....just speaking, unfortunately, from experience. As I posted, I had to pay to get mine repaired. I researched every avenue that I could possibly take to avoid it before members of this forum told me to bite the bullet and get it fixed.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:53 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

slow drivers
Old 12-08-2020, 04:28 PM
dh88
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my 09 z51 for 3.5 years and put 50k miles on her myself (94k total) . In that time period i'm on my second set of steer tires and 3rd set of rear tires. Rear rotors and pads changed once. Front pads only once and will do front pads/rotors soon. Replaced two optima yellow top batteries, both still under warranty.Fan control plug melted during the corvette caravan and bypassed. 1 set of plugs and wires.Replaced front drivers hub and both rear axle seals. You'll save a ton with repair costs doing anything you can at home. All in all it's been a great car and i don't plan on ever selling it,even once i add a C8 to the garage
Old 12-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 166 Posts

Honestly, I am a bit spooked by the issue. There is a stretch of 10 mile dead-straight, no traffic, road out in the desert that I've done high speed runs on before. Fasted I've been is 155, with the goal for my next run to be 165. I have always had a bit of a worry about a coyote running out in front of me, as that happened to me about 8 years ago, in an F250. Now, I also have to consider the possibility of my Steering Wheel Position Sensor going wonky. I want to embrace the attitude of "enjoying my car", but this issue is certainly causing me second thoughts.
i agree with you sir
Old 12-08-2020, 10:27 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dh88
I've had my 09 z51 for 3.5 years and put 50k miles on her myself (94k total) . In that time period i'm on my second set of steer tires and 3rd set of rear tires. Rear rotors and pads changed once. Front pads only once and will do front pads/rotors soon. Replaced two optima yellow top batteries, both still under warranty.Fan control plug melted during the corvette caravan and bypassed. 1 set of plugs and wires.Replaced front drivers hub and both rear axle seals. You'll save a ton with repair costs doing anything you can at home. All in all it's been a great car and i don't plan on ever selling it,even once i add a C8 to the garage
But, but.....what about the $5,000 per year? Are you letting that compound into a nice down payment on the C8??? You should have close to $20K by now.

Quick Reply: I'm a New Owner of 2009; issues to lookout for?