C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Rad for manual Z51 2008

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 12:26 AM
LVXLR8N
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replacement Rad for manual Z51 2008

Hello,
I am having a issue trying to sort out which GM Part # I require for this beast. I know the rad has the transmission cooler lines going to it. I am thinking of going to Rock Auto but I would be more comfortable if I knew the GM #. I think its either 15145946 or 21996495. Any help would be appreciated. As a side question. Do the base units also have tranny coolers and oil coolers? I know the Z51 adds some cooling but i am not sure which ones.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:21 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by LVXLR8N
Hello,
I am having a issue trying to sort out which GM Part # I require for this beast. I know the rad has the transmission cooler lines going to it. I am thinking of going to Rock Auto but I would be more comfortable if I knew the GM #. I think its either 15145946 or 21996495. Any help would be appreciated. As a side question. Do the base units also have tranny coolers and oil coolers? I know the Z51 adds some cooling but i am not sure which ones.
Your profile indicates you are from Canada? If you are in the GTA, I have a perfectly good OEM rad and hoses from my '11 GS A6 which I'll give to you, assuming that it fits. When I took it out, it had around 37000 Km on it. I replaced it with a DeWitts rad, and silicone hoses FYI.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:53 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

I just wanted to second the DeWitts option, these are outstanding products and they fit without modification.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:05 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Radiator

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
I just wanted to second the DeWitts option, these are outstanding products and they fit without modification.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:52 PM
LVXLR8N
Advanced

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Your profile indicates you are from Canada? If you are in the GTA, I have a perfectly good OEM rad and hoses from my '11 GS A6 which I'll give to you, assuming that it fits. When I took it out, it had around 37000 Km on it. I replaced it with a DeWitts rad, and silicone hoses FYI.
Hello Fats
That is very generous of you however I am in Edmonton. It's quite a drive.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:30 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LVXLR8N
Hello Fats
That is very generous of you however I am in Edmonton. It's quite a drive.
Well, it was worth a try. If you are set on replacing it with an OEM rad, I suggest you give the parts department of your local Chevy dealer a call and provide them with your VIN. They will give you the part number and price for comparison purposes. On the other hand, you could put whatever you're going to spend against a DeWitts rad. They are pricey, but when I drove across the desert and the ambient was 108F, it didn't flinch at all. Coolant temps were a steady 90C. You get about 50% more cooling capacity, and they are all aluminum. No plastic end tanks! If you wanted to go that route, investigate Summit Racing. That's where I got my rad. Prices were competitive, and their cross-border delivery service was fast and surprisingly inexpensive. I was shocked at how little it cost, plus it included all the cross-border vig.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:52 PM
LVXLR8N
Advanced

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Well, it was worth a try. If you are set on replacing it with an OEM rad, I suggest you give the parts department of your local Chevy dealer a call and provide them with your VIN. They will give you the part number and price for comparison purposes. On the other hand, you could put whatever you're going to spend against a DeWitts rad. They are pricey, but when I drove across the desert and the ambient was 108F, it didn't flinch at all. Coolant temps were a steady 90C. You get about 50% more cooling capacity, and they are all aluminum. No plastic end tanks! If you wanted to go that route, investigate Summit Racing. That's where I got my rad. Prices were competitive, and their cross-border delivery service was fast and surprisingly inexpensive. I was shocked at how little it cost, plus it included all the cross-border vig.
HELLO,
I am considering going to all aluminum as the is the second vehicle I have owned with the seem failure. I had an 05 XLR with the same issue. I am not sure if it has something to do with storing it in a unheated garage. My XLR would have a puddle every year I pulled it out of storage but didn't leak a drop all summer. It took two years and 3 visits before GM could find the leak. Funny thing is that my vette just started to drip but it's only been - 20 so far this year.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:17 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Are you sure it's the rad that's leaking? There's a few other common areas, such as the water pump and tee fitting.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:53 PM
LVXLR8N
Advanced

I am going to have look tonight but I pretty sure that where.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Rad for manual Z51 2008

Quick Reply: Replacement Rad for manual Z51 2008