C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Column lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 09:57 PM
RedC6Jezybel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Column lock

Hello everyone,

I know this has been beaten to death as a topic, however I have a unique issue I think.

I installed a column lock bypass module about three years ago and it seemed to work fine (I have a 2005 C6 M6). About a year ago I started to get the Service Column Lock message on my DIC again. It never locked but I couldn't get rid of the message.

So I ordered and installed another CLB module. No change, the Service Column Lock message still appears. Press reset and it goes away but returns in 10 min or so.

Any recommendations as to how to get rid of that message,?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:21 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Although there is a charge, GM has a permanent fix for the column lock issued in 2018. They basically delete it from the system by replacing the steering column lock plate, then Update the BCM with a new File update
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/18-NA-346
The following users liked this post:
Landru (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

If OP intends keeping this car have GM's fix done permanently eliminating this annoying PITA, forever.
IIRC it's ~$400, money well spent IMO.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Although there is a charge, GM has a permanent fix for the column lock issued in 2018. They basically delete it from the system by replacing the steering column lock plate, then Update the BCM with a new File update
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/18-NA-346

This, since the problem may not be the eliminator, but the SCLM itself that is going out.

As for price, since you already have the eliminator in play, with the steering column in the unlocked position, if you have a Tech II or know someone that does, then the cost to do the flash on your car will be just $40 for a TDS account on the car for two years.

In TDS SPS, go to BCM module in the list , and you will see the new flash to take the SCLM out of play.

As for column lock plate in the steering, easy enough to get to, to either change it out with the plate that will not lock, or if you have a mill/lathe or know someone that does, then easy enough to just machine the plate to turn it into the no locking plate isntead.
Note, inner part of the plate is a shim plate, so it needs to be in play at least.

So at 4:00, you have the steering column lock rod, and on the plate, you have the slots all the way around it that the lock will lock into to lock the wheel. So all that is needed to turn a locking plate in to the new non locking plate, is to turn the U section around the out side of the plate off, so if steering lock rod fires out, nothing for it to lock on to lock the wheel.

As for taking the car to the dealer to do the flash and plate, they charge about $140 to do the firmware flash, then plate is about $30, and the rest is labor.
The following users liked this post:
4SUMERZ (12-04-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Service Column lock

Quick Reply: Service Column lock