C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray / Lighter USB Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 03:00 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Ashtray / Lighter USB Modifications

Does anyone have a link or information on updating the ashtray area? I remember seeing some great posts of people that have changed them to have a USB connection. I am gearing up for a head unit installation and would like to put the secondary USB post connection in the ashtray area and possible the HDMI input for the head unit as well. The primary phone USB connection will remain in the center console.

Just trying to get some ideas for updating something that isn't used at all.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:41 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

If you have a usb inside the console you can use it to put music on your factory nav radio
Old 06-20-2022, 05:00 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
If you have a usb inside the console you can use it to put music on your factory nav radio
Right, but I am putting a new unit in that has two USB inputs along with an HDMI input. I am going to use the existing USB inside the console for the main USB for Apple Car Play. However, wanted to add the other two inputs in the cabin so the passenger and I can easily use.

Actually, just found this unit and think it will be perfect. Will just have to make the hole to mount it.

HDMI / USB Input HDMI / USB Input
Old 06-20-2022, 06:26 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

I put that exact cable in my c6. My kenwood HU HAD 2 usb type connections. It also had mirroring capabilities. I plan on using the hdmi for that, but in reality I probably won’t need it. It also came with carplay. I set up the inside console for use with the carplay and the other usb in the asjhtray just for my wife to recharge her phone. Just a matter of how they all connect to the HU. I also left the cig lighter as is for use with a battery trickle charger or mu air compressor if I need it. Lets of info on this in the audio section of the forum including great step by step instructions on pulling the dash apart.
The following 2 users liked this post by kanvasman:
Lee Cromwell (06-20-2022), SPSandman (06-20-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Ashtray / Lighter USB Modifications

Quick Reply: Ashtray / Lighter USB Modifications